Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #31
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,396
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 17,659
Thanked 18,718 Times in 7,901 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
yeah - if Norv and whoever couldn't do it with Rivers, Tomlinson and multiple playoff trips - they aren't doing it with Wheedon/Smith/Whoever, Trent Richardson and Mike Wallace - those last names are a big step down from what was going on in San Diego

You really would fear a team like the Browns with less talent than San Diego had - who we already beat on multiple occasions. Sure the teams and our situation are different - but, why even root or watch them play? Why should we fear the Browns? Again - broken clock right twice a day . . .
Norv as a head coach: NO!!!
Norv as an offensive coordinator: Yes.

It's not Cleveland's trifecta of skill players that impresses me; it's the O-line, the D-line, the LBs, and the secondary. They are what San Fran was right before Jim Harbaugh took over.

[Side-note: I was scared that Nick Saban was going to go there. Thankfully, he didn't... otherwise, they would absolutely have been a perennial play-off team. Now, I have some hope that they will "just" be really good.]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #32
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central PA.
Posts: 933
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15311
Thanks: 111
Thanked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Norv as a head coach: NO!!!
Norv as an offensive coordinator: Yes.

It's not Cleveland's trifecta of skill players that impresses me; it's the O-line, the D-line, the LBs, and the secondary. They are what San Fran was right before Jim Harbaugh took over.

[Side-note: I was scared that Nick Saban was going to go there. Thankfully, he didn't... otherwise, they would absolutely have been a perennial play-off team. Now, I have some hope that they will "just" be really good.]
I would not be scared if Saban showed up in Cleveland. I am more scared in the
reload/rebuild that is gonna happne in the next 2 season. With all of the vets going, and starting with a young squad - minus Big Ben. This is scary, but at the sametime, EXCITING! This is where we will find out just how good of a coach Tomlin is! The next 2 seasons.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #33
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,883
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 47,749
Thanked 8,084 Times in 3,414 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
I would not be scared if Saban showed up in Cleveland. I am more scared in the
reload/rebuild that is gonna happne in the next 2 season. With all of the vets going, and starting with a young squad - minus Big Ben. This is scary, but at the sametime, EXCITING! This is where we will find out just how good of a coach Tomlin is! The next 2 seasons.
I agree with you a lot. I am very excited to see how this works out for the Steelers. Cleveland and Cincy both seem like they're on an upward trend, but they do have their own problems. I trust the Steelers will come out fighting and in a year or two when Cincy and Cleveland don't have the money to resign their own players we'll see if they really are as scary as they seem.
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #34
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,252
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,240
Thanked 9,350 Times in 4,005 Posts
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Cleveland is really good.

Everyone blames the loss on Charlie Batch, but that defense CAUSED those turnovers: they hit people. Likewise, that secondary is extremely good. They lack a deep threat (queue "Wallace"), but they have two really good possession receivers. And, their O-line is superb. Plus, Trent Richardson.

Norv did wonders with Alex Smith. Alex Smith loves Norv. Alex Smith might not be great, but if he goes toCelveland, watch out!!!

Wallace to Cleveland... plus Alex Smith... wow!!!... I could honestly see them vying for the AFCN title.

Mark it down.
Do you think Ben would've faced a similar fate against that defense?

The Browns aren't building anything. There's a reason why the 49ers were competitive two years ago - they didn't have to play great teams with any consistency. If Smith does indeed go to Cleveland, he has to play the Steelers and Ravens twice a year with very average receivers. Even with Mike Wallace, that receiving corp is average at best.

Do you know who else looked really, really good on paper two years ago? The Eagles. I think we all remember what happened to them after the 'dream team' incident. Besides, the Eagles were a much better team on paper than Cleveland would be even with Smith and Wallace.

But all of that is besides the point - Mike Wallace and Alex Smith don't gel. Smith can't throw a deep ball to save his life and Mike Wallace's only trick is running fast in a straight line. If you ask Wallace to become a possession receiver, well, we saw what happened this year with that experiment. Smith would be lobbing up deep balls (or trying to) and they'd be getting picked off consistently.

Is that defense good? No. It's average with a shutdown CB (who took a moon-sized leap back this year) and a couple of good - not great - supporting pieces to go with them. They're going to be competing with the Jags as who gets the Worst Team in the AFC Crown next year. That's something I can mark down.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #35
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 392
Member Number: 24256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

relax guys, its cleveland.
how many times have we heard how this team is improving. yadda yadda yadda, only to repeat as the browns we all know and make fun of. when they actually win 7 games or more in consecutiver years, i might believe they are making progress.
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #36
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,396
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 17,659
Thanked 18,718 Times in 7,901 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Do you think Ben would've faced a similar fate against that defense?

The Browns aren't building anything. There's a reason why the 49ers were competitive two years ago - they didn't have to play great teams with any consistency. If Smith does indeed go to Cleveland, he has to play the Steelers and Ravens twice a year with very average receivers. Even with Mike Wallace, that receiving corp is average at best.

Do you know who else looked really, really good on paper two years ago? The Eagles. I think we all remember what happened to them after the 'dream team' incident. Besides, the Eagles were a much better team on paper than Cleveland would be even with Smith and Wallace.

But all of that is besides the point - Mike Wallace and Alex Smith don't gel. Smith can't throw a deep ball to save his life and Mike Wallace's only trick is running fast in a straight line. If you ask Wallace to become a possession receiver, well, we saw what happened this year with that experiment. Smith would be lobbing up deep balls (or trying to) and they'd be getting picked off consistently.

Is that defense good? No. It's average with a shutdown CB (who took a moon-sized leap back this year) and a couple of good - not great - supporting pieces to go with them. They're going to be competing with the Jags as who gets the Worst Team in the AFC Crown next year. That's something I can mark down.
SteelersCanada,
Good points about BB and about Alex Smith deep ball (or lack thereof).

I disagree that Cleveland is going to be the dregs next year. I see them on the cusp of being a possible play-off team. Likewise, I feel that their defense is already really good.

harrison'samonster
To clarify: just because I think that the Browns are on the rise does not mean that the Steelers are on the decline. The two things are mutally exclusive.

The Steelers have been the top two in the division for a decade, and I see mroe fo the same. Hayward, Lewis, and Allen have me excited on defense, and BB, AB, and that O-line have me very excited about the offense. My joking 19-0 prediction aside, I foresee a 12-4 season (possibly 13-3)... with the Browns having an 8-8 (or possibly a 9-7 season). Make sense?
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #37
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,883
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 47,749
Thanked 8,084 Times in 3,414 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

harrison'samonster
To clarify: just because I think that the Browns are on the rise does not mean that the Steelers are on the decline. The two things are mutally exclusive.

The Steelers have been the top two in the division for a decade, and I see mroe fo the same. Hayward, Lewis, and Allen have me excited on defense, and BB, AB, and that O-line have me very excited about the offense. My joking 19-0 prediction aside, I foresee a 12-4 season (possibly 13-3)... with the Browns having an 8-8 (or possibly a 9-7 season). Make sense?
oh yeah, I didn't mean my comment directed at you. I think the Browns will get better as well, I just don't know if they will sustain that over a period of more than a year or two. I love your prediction of a 12-4 season, I think it can happen. We just have to make sure we get something for Ben to work w/ on offense if we lose both Wallace and Mendy.
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #38
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,396
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 17,659
Thanked 18,718 Times in 7,901 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I love your prediction of a 12-4 season, I think it can happen. We just have to make sure we get something for Ben to work w/ on offense if we lose both Wallace and Mendy.
That O-line has me excited. If those R1 & R2 picks can play up to their expectations AND remain healthy, I foresee a great, great year.

19-0 type of great.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #39
WVABE
Team Captain
 
3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 733
Member Number: 24111
Thanks: 592
Thanked 441 Times in 222 Posts
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

19-0 nah, I like it when we get a wildcard spot, get an xtra week of steeler mania.
(as long as we don't play against Tebow)
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #40
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 89,870
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 1,017
Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,342 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Wallace to Cleveland?

I think the Browns need more then Wallace to turn them around. I think Killer posted about a quarterback that they don't have but who knows they could get one in the draft but it will take time to develope.
__________________
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts