Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,568 Times in 3,084 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Offensive/Defensive adjusted rankings...interesting

Found this article wandering the web for Steelers news at the "Shutdown Corner". They use metrics to adjust effective rankings of offensive and defensive units. I found it interesting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3844--nfl.html
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
BlaZeQuietly (02-10-2013), harrison'samonster (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
scottcurtis
Banned

Member Number: 24767
Default Re: Offensive/Defensive adjusted rankings...interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
Found this article wandering the web for Steelers news at the "Shutdown Corner". They use metrics to adjust effective rankings of offensive and defensive units. I found it interesting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3844--nfl.html

#1 Defense getting it done. Offense in toilet again. Who's leads that Offense ?

Barely beat Cleveland on last game of year ! 6 of Ben's td's came in garabge time ! After being down 27 -3 and if it wasn't for the defense could have been 40-3 . I was in the motorhome getting drunk by the time Ben throws his stat padders. Cuz im not a TRUE FAN ! 20 TD's is not worth what he's making... he cant even make it through a full season.
scottcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Good read
Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,443 Times in 526 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcurtis View Post
Hines Ward blamed the WRs. Kevin Colbert blamed the talent at RB. Greg Cosell blamed injuries. Yinzers blame the QB. Let's see here...a former teammate...the GM of the team...an "all-22" film expert...yinzers...who's the least qualified to lay blame here, and who do they blame?

As for the six "garbage time" TDs, I'm trying to think of when they occurred...

Denver? No.
Oakland? No.
Tennessee? No.
San Diego? OK, there were three in that one.
Dallas? No.
Cincinnati II? No.

Those are the six games the Steelers lost when Roethlisberger started, but I only count three such TDs. In fact, four of those six losses came when the opponent kicked a game-winning FG in the final seconds, which means that it's impossible for Roethlisberger to have thrown any "garbage time" TDs in those games. At best, you're embellishing. At worst, you're just a liar with an agenda. Way to have no credibility either way.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
lipps83 (02-11-2013), teegre (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Interesting article. There was a few "buts" when saying our defense was #1.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,621 Times in 919 Posts

This season had more "Buts and It's" than any season I can rememeber.....Can't we just chalk it up as a marginal year and hope for better days ahead?
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Those are the six games the Steelers lost when Roethlisberger started, but I only count three such TDs. In fact, four of those six losses came when the opponent kicked a game-winning FG in the final seconds, which means that it's impossible for Roethlisberger to have thrown any "garbage time" TDs in those games. At best, you're embellishing. At worst, you're just a liar with an agenda. Way to have no credibility either way.
I agree. The offense absolutely has it's problems, but I think the adjusted defensive rankings tell a whole other story. That the defense was pitiful this year outside of a couple great games.

I am not trying to bash Lebeau, but just calling it as I see it. I think Lebeau mostly benefited from great players on the defense, not a great scheme just a good one.

In his career with the Bengals as DC, the highest they ever ranked in yards was 8th in 1987 and 9th in 2001. Most of rest of the years outside of another couple were spent in the bottom half of the league, and more often than not was almost at the bottom. When he went back to Cinci to turn the defense there around, after 6 years he still couldn't.

The Steelers defense was great before Lebeau first became DC in 95. After he left they had a couple good years until turmoil hit the team with Stewart and Graham in the late 90's, but the lowest the defense dropped was 12th. In 2001 they were back up at the top with Tim Lewis as DC.

A defense that relies heavily on one or two players to be highly effective is not a good scheme. Without Troy the defense seems to fall apart. That isn't a good scheme in my opinion. A good scheme is one that doesn't take a PhD to understand and 3 or 4 years of sitting on the bench to observe and learn.

Troy helped to make this defense what it was over the last 8 years. His style of play and Lebeau's scheme are a perfect match, which is why it has worked so well since he came back.

If they want to keep this type of defense, which is fine if they choose too, then I think they need to draft a top safety since it seems like Troy is on his last legs.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,568 Times in 3,084 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:

Barely beat Cleveland on last game of year ! 6 of Ben's td's came in garabge time ! After being down 27 -3 and if it wasn't for the defense could have been 40-3 . I was in the motorhome getting drunk by the time Ben throws his stat padders. Cuz im not a TRUE FAN ! 20 TD's is not worth what he's making... he cant even make it through a full season.
You read the article, and that's what you got out of it? WOW, thanks for the insight!

You read an article that talks about all aspects of the team, and you go right for the QB bashing..........I think you need a new needle on your turntable because you sound like a broken record.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
scottcurtis
Banned

Member Number: 24767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Hines Ward blamed the WRs. Kevin Colbert blamed the talent at RB. Greg Cosell blamed injuries. Yinzers blame the QB. Let's see here...a former teammate...the GM of the team...an "all-22" film expert...yinzers...who's the least qualified to lay blame here, and who do they blame?

As for the six "garbage time" TDs, I'm trying to think of when they occurred...

Denver? No.
Oakland? No.
Tennessee? No.
San Diego? OK, there were three in that one.
Dallas? No.
Cincinnati II? No.

How about last game of year ? Garbage time.
scottcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,443 Times in 526 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
How about last game of year ? Garbage time.
Well they never trailed that game, so there was never a "garbage time" scenario in which to throw TD passes.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote