Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,164 Times in 3,096 Posts
Default Pittsburgh pinch: Steelers will look different in 2013

Pittsburgh Steelers stare down a salary-cap squeeze in March

By Albert Breer

There's no question, based on their salary-cap situation, the Pittsburgh Steelers will look different in 2013.

But general manager Kevin Colbert is resolute in saying that won't change the standard in Pittsburgh, even for a year. And he points to his past experience as evidence.

"Last year, we let go of significant players," Colbert said Wednesday from his office, citing last winter's purge of veterans James Farrior, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith and Chris Kemoeatu, all of whom ended up retiring. "This year, that may or may not be the case. We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team. We want to compete every year. And this year, we weren't able to. We didn't get in the playoffs. And that was a failure.

"But we want to avoid being in a position where we make that one-year, all-in run, then disappear."

The Steelers have been successful in that pursuit. They last missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons at the turn of the century, and they've played in three Super Bowls, and won two, since then.

And yet, when you examine this year's situation in a vacuum, and separate the decorated recent past of the club, you'll find wiggle room for creativity and ingenuity limited by a logjam of big contracts that might not force a gutting, but will almost certainly lead to tough decisions.

Pittsburgh isn't the only NFL team in this spot. Plenty of other clubs have players' rising individual cap figures bottlenecking into a salary cap that isn't ascending accordingly, as it did at the end of the last decade under the old CBA and will again when the new TV money kicks in after the 2014 season. But in large part due to the aforementioned success -- naturally, players with rings wind up getting rewarded -- the Steelers' contract gridlock will be particularly difficult to navigate.

Here, as they stand today, are the top 10 cap numbers the Steelers are carrying for 2013:

QB Ben Roethlisberger -- $19,595,000
OLB LaMarr Woodley -- $13,240,000
ILB Lawrence Timmons - $11,160,000
S Troy Polamalu -- $10,137,500
OLB James Harrison -- $10,035,000
CB Ike Taylor - $9,454,166
TE Heath Miller -- $7,958,500
OL Willie Colon -- $7,650,000
WR Antonio Brown -- $6,200,000
DL Brett Keisel -- $4,900,000

TOTAL: $100,330,166

Again, the Steelers aren't alone. The New York Jets' top 10 cap numbers add up to over $110 million. Even if you eliminate expected cuts Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Eric Smith and Tim Tebow, the top 10 there still comes to more than $88 million, without accounting for the added dead money. The Dallas Cowboys have more than $90 million tied up in their top 10, and the New Orleans Saints have more than $88 million sunk in their top 10.

Part of that is simply a consequence of the CBA's structure, which is built to cut players into more of the television money. That cash starts coming in with the new broadcast deals, which begin in 2014 and go into the salary cap equation in 2015.

"That part of it hasn't bothered us, every team is dealing with the same thing," Colbert said. "With the structure we come up with, we try to be realistic and avoid phony money. If a player gets a contract, we want to be able to afford that player all the way. And it's almost as hard to predict a player's worth three, four years down the line as it is to predict how it'll affect the cap. So I worry more about a player being worth the money, and hope it's still a good investment."

That, in a way, makes this situation even tougher. Each of the 10 names above are homegrown, which is the Steelers' way, and none could be considered much of an underperformer. Also, not on that list are unrestricted free agents Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall, Casey Hampton and Keenan Lewis, and restricted free agents Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer and Emmanuel Sanders.

If Pittsburgh were to keep the top 10 -- something that's highly unlikely at this point -- that would leave them with roughly $21 million for the next 41 players (Top 51 figures count in the offseason) under the expected $121 million cap. And the team already renegotiated the deals of Roethlisberger, Woodley and Timmons, three players who aren't going anywhere, and pushed money forward for cap purposes last year.

Bottom line: Something's gotta give.

"We've always tried to do things that made sense for the current year, but also do things that wouldn't strangle you financially in the future," Colbert said. "It's no different this time. We're getting in compliance. We're gonna have to have some terminations, some extensions, some restructurings. Figuring out the combination of all that, that's what we're doing now. We don't have to be compliant until March 12, so we have some time."

So where's this going? First, it's likely a name or three is lopped off the top of the salary structure. Second, the franchise tag won't be used on Wallace or anyone else. Third, all the unrestricted free agents likely will be given a chance to test the market, and a chance exists Pittsburgh might give a couple of the restricted free agents a shot to walk, too.

And fourth, the organization will need to lean on its ability to draft and develop to keep its head above water in a time of transition. The same way the assembly line once went from Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene at outside linebacker to Jason Gildon to Joey Porter to Harrison to Woodley, it needs to churn out replacements now for those disposed in the next few weeks.

Or, to make it simpler, the apprenticeship is now over for draft classes headed Maurkice Pouncey, Jason Worilds, Cam Heyward, David DeCastro and Mike Adams.

"That's where your new talent should be coming from, and if you have those kinds of guys in place, you're getting those from the draft and you want to be developing and paying your own," Colbert said. "But you never know if they'll be the answer, not until they play a 16-game schedule. You're just not sure. You think you know, but you never really know until they get out there. The advantage we have is in the constancy of the system. ...

"We've had similar systems, and you should be able to stack players at positions when you have that."

No doubt, the broader system in Pittsburgh, above individual players or coaches, has been tried and tested over the decades and continues to churn out contenders.

But that doesn't change the fact that this next exam won't be an easy one for the Steelers to pass.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ueeze-in-march
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,206 Times in 652 Posts
Default Re: Pittsburgh pinch: Steelers will look different in 2013

Harrison and Colon should go for starters.

If Troy and Keisel are healthy (big IF for Troy) one more productive year from each is reasonable.

Anybody else think we're overpaying big time for Woodley?
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Nah.... he's the best competitive eater we have. Pro (chili) Bowl caliber for sure.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
VaDave (02-17-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Not when he's healthy. Another year like 2012 and he'll either be cut or traded.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 6,020 Times in 2,512 Posts

Quote:
Harrison and Colon should go for starters.

If Troy and Keisel are healthy (big IF for Troy) one more productive year from each is reasonable.

If you go by his production from this past year, of course. But that's the nature of the "win now" NFL. I'm not ready to shovel dirt on this guy yet. He's been a very productive player and disruptive force for this team for several years now. He's been dominant in stretches. We'll find out for sure this year by how he performs and what kind of shape he's in. I have a feeling he's going to bring it and bring it strong. He's been a stud at every level of football he's played and has always shown heart. I think he'll be ready to unleash a little frustration on opposing offenses this coming year.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,731 Times in 795 Posts

cut Harrison, Colon, and Keisel. I think it's time to go with the young guys
Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

What are your opinions on Troy Polamalu?

For $10M+ cap hit, he has surely not done much except spend time being injured. I know the guy is tough but I think it was stupid that he played through some of his injuries. Now that is coming back to bite him.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post

For $10M+ cap hit, he has surely not done much except spend time being injured. I know the guy is tough but I think it was stupid that he played through some of his injuries. Now that is coming back to bite him.
Cut him. Draft TJ McDonald and Baccarri Rambo to be our Safeties of the future and let McDonald play this year opposite Clark.

A 10 million dollar cap hit is much to high for him to sit out 7 games while wearing a hoodie and a headset. That, and he's on the wrong side of 30.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,116 Times in 3,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post

The issue with Troy makes me glad I don't have to make the decisions. I want to see them keep him, and do we have somebody who could take over behind him?

The D pulled together last season even without him, but there's still a huge upside with having him on the team. When he's healthy, he's as good as it gets. But can we afford to pay him, especially with his injury history?
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
The issue with Troy makes me glad I don't have to make the decisions. I want to see them keep him, and do we have somebody who could take over behind him?

The D pulled together last season even without him, but there's still a huge upside with having him on the team. When he's healthy, he's as good as it gets. But can we afford to pay him, especially with his injury history?
I honestly think it boils down to who we draft, but we have to be in cap compliance by mid-March so the Steelers brass is going to have to make a decision and stick to it. If we do end up releasing him / trading him, Safety becomes a priority right up there with OLB. If we keep him for one more year (which, why would we at this point) and he gets injured, is anyone really comfortable with Will Allen being in the backfield again? Again, Safety is a priority in this situation as well.

Either way you look at it, Safety is a priority. I think we're delaying the inevitable, honestly. The sooner we can get two young Safeties together (i.e, McDonald / Rambo for example) the better. If we end up releasing both Polamalu and Clark, we could have a backfield that would be full of youngsters. Theoretically, our secondary could look like -

keep in mind, this is just an example

TJ McDonald / FS - Bacarri Rambo / SS

Keenan Lewis / CB - Ike Taylor / CB - Cortez Allen / Nickle CB

and I would be ok with that. A trial by fire might be what these guys need with some veteran leadership thrown in by guys like Taylor, Lewis or whomever is our defensive captain next year.