Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,758 Times in 4,294 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Cook: It's time for LaMarr Woodley to focus on football

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipBayless69 View Post
I can not believe what I am hearing. Lamarr Woodley is the 6th Steelers sack leader all-time. Woodley is a Probowl caliber OLB and arguably the best LOLB in the NFL today. Sure, he spends too much time on his twitter account and so do a lot of 15 year-old girls, but that doesn't make him a bad person or that Jenny says Erin thinks he looks fat.

The bottom line here, the bottom line is that Woodley needs another season to prove himself to the fans and the organization. We all owe some degree of confidence to Woodley as he is arguably the Dick Butkus of his generation.
hahaha. I do agree that he needs another season to prove himself. But is he going to prove himself a great player, or somebody who's coasting on a huge contract?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #32
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,236 Posts
My Mood: Fine

just something to ponder:

Ryan Clark "Woodley comments show fracture"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...elers-fracture

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-18-2013), harrison'samonster (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #33
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Well I guess that means we can rule out Ryan Clark as the source of the anonymous quote

This statement by Clark was noteworthy

"That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...elers-fracture

With Farrior and Ward gone, while Ben spends time pining away for departed coaches, this team is adrift with regard to player leadership
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
"That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out."
Just an aside: I hate seeing Alan Faneca listed here, because he went into total shutdown mode due to his contract situation the year before he left, and the team went to hell. That's not leadership, and it was a disappointing end to his time here.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #35
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Just an aside: I hate seeing Alan Faneca listed here, because he went into total shutdown mode due to his contract situation the year before he left, and the team went to hell. That's not leadership, and it was a disappointing end to his time here.
Fanaca in shut down mode was better than most. But I understand what you are saying. That was a decision made at his peak of performance. It was down hill from there for Fanaca.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Fanaca in shut down mode was better than most. But I understand what you are saying. That was a decision made at his peak of performance. It was down hill from there for Fanaca.
Few things can tear up a team more than someone pissed off about his contract situation (Porter & Cowher - 2006/Faneca - 2007/Wallace - 2012)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #37
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,236 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Hines Ward was the last true leader - I love guys like Heath Miller that just show up, work hard, do their job, and lead by example - but, we need a voice(s) on both sides of the ball who will put fellow teammates on the spot - it seems people need to be held more accountable - those who say Tomlin is responsible for the fracture and lack of leadership are only partially correct - he can only communicate what is expected of them from an execution standpoint, and how to act like a professional - all those involved in scouting and drafting personalities are next, but, there is the third and most important part to that equation - buying in from the players - you only get this from a group of talents who lack substance for a short period of time - just enough to make a quick run at a trophy and then it is gone forever - or, you get sustained buy in and leadership over a long period of time

Right now, i'd say the Steelers are in the process of finding those who buy in, who can lead, and those who will absolutely own their role. This type of stuff upsets the hell out of me - I don't know what its like to make 6-8 figures, so I can't speak to getting motivated when you got that kind of dough to fall back on - but, we need these guys to emerge, and like, emerge last season. Buy in and vocal leadership seem to be a rare commodity with the Steelers lately.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #38
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

relax guys. we have one of, if not the best, head coach in the nfl. he will take care of this.
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #39
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...thin-steelers/

Quote:
Ryan Clark: Woodley blast shows “fracture” within Steelers
Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2013, 11:24 AM EST

Over the weekend, there were a couple of different articles in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette referencing Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley’s need to work harder this offseason.

Ed Bouchette wrote one of them with the general view that the team wants to see more effort on Woodley’s part. Ron Cook got an anonymous teammate of Woodley’s to share a scathing assessment of his teammate.

“He was awful,” the teammate said. ”He tells us he works out, but we didn’t see it. He wasn’t in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt.”

Safety Ryan Clark has now weighed in, although he’s not taking any position on whether or not Woodley let the team down last year. He’s more upset about the fact that the unnamed teammate went public with his complaints and aired his grievances on the NFL Network Monday.

“We all have arguments with our brothers, sisters, cousins, but that stays in-house. What you talk about then stays there and it doesn’t get out to the public. So that is the problem,” Clark said. “That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out.”

The Steelers have done a good job of reloading as key veterans shuffle off the team in recent years, but it isn’t guaranteed that the next generation is always going to pick up where the previous one left off. One comment doesn’t mean that’s what’s happening in Pittsburgh right now, but it does mean that Clark and other established leaders might have some extra work to do this offseason to keep things where they want them in the organization.
So according to Clark, the problem isn't that Woodley was out of shape and invisible the entire season, it's that someone spoke up about it.

With all the Raven ass-kissing this guy has done over the past month, he really just needs to shut up.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #40
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. When the OL play suddenly went rotten, that's when I began my hobby of OL-watching in slow-mo to understand what was going wrong, and Faneca was a big soft spot. He looked a lot like Trai Essex - often standing there, then turning around to look at what just blew past him.

He embarrassed himself pretty badly at the end of his time here. In a strange way, he was a leader until the very end - he lead the mammoth OL decline from which we're still trying to recover.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote