Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #51
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,678 Times in 7,471 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Ed: Foote Says Steelers Talking New Contract With Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
people keep writing off spence. sure his injury was nasty, but looked no worse than willis mcgahee's in his final college game.

[YOUTUBE]A9-KkUH8yt8[/YOUTUBE]
Spence doesn't even make the top five injuries that I've seen/lived through.

5. JoeTheisman on MNF
4. McGahee in the NCAACG
3. Tim Krumrie in the SuperBowl
2. Napoleon McCallum on MNF
1. My broken heart during SuperBowl XXX.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #52
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
2 year $4.75 mill OR 3 yr. 6 mill
I don't give him anything more than a 2 year 2 million dollar deal. If he doesn't like it, then he can walk away to another team. Jacksonville, in all likelihood. Why do we want this guy?! He's 32, can't cover and slows Timmons down.

I'm with Teegre - we need every single dime this offseason and signing Keenan Lewis has to be the priority. If we're offering him any contract (something that I'm not even sure I want, by the way) then we're essentially saying that we're more comfortable with Foote than Lewis. There's a ton of Linebackers in this draft that have fallen for multiple reasons that we can get that are all supremely talented and, more importantly, lets Timmons be Timmons.

Don't offer Foote a contract, sign Keenan Lewis and draft an ILB to play with LT.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #53
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
people keep writing off spence. sure his injury was nasty, but looked no worse than willis mcgahee's in his final college game.

thing that concerns me is that nobody has said anything positive about his rehab. All we hear is pessimism, so it doesnt look good.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #54
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:

I don't think people are writing him off. I think they are just acknowledging that it's gonna be 2-3 years before he's worth a Damn. In 2-3 years from now, half the team will no longer be playing.

As for myself...I believe that Spence will prove to be a bust. I hope to all the higher powers that I am incorrect. I have no research, video etc. to make such a prediction but I just don't think that hell work out in our system the way everyone on this board imagines and predicts. I had high hope for rainy, adams, sweet, and was hoping for A superhuman gronklike ultimate redzone threat in Lyons. I know all players can't be studs but it seems in recent Steelers draft classes none can be studs. Don't even get me started on our d ends and our rb's.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #55
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
And at the other CB spot...???

I'd prefer Lewis & Allen. The CB spot would be SET for the next seven seasons.

Furthermore, drafting CBs is very difficult. It takes teams numerous picks to land one. With Lewis & Allen, the Steelers could "ignore" the CB position, and draft elsewhere.

Either way, they're going to have to draft an ILB... but, your way, they would ALSO need to draft a CB (which, again, can take several drafts to find one who will pan out(.

The Steelers already have two good ones. Sign Lewis... and use those draft picks on finding an ILB.
Ike T.

We can find and mold a ILB and replacement for Ike in 3 seasons.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #56
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I don't give him anything more than a 2 year 2 million dollar deal. If he doesn't like it, then he can walk away to another team. Jacksonville, in all likelihood. Why do we want this guy?! He's 32, can't cover and slows Timmons down.

I'm with Teegre - we need every single dime this offseason and signing Keenan Lewis has to be the priority. If we're offering him any contract (something that I'm not even sure I want, by the way) then we're essentially saying that we're more comfortable with Foote than Lewis. There's a ton of Linebackers in this draft that have fallen for multiple reasons that we can get that are all supremely talented and, more importantly, lets Timmons be Timmons.

Don't offer Foote a contract, sign Keenan Lewis and draft an ILB to play with LT.
Yeah, I'm hearing ya kid....... Youre convincing me...
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #57
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,678 Times in 7,471 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
E

Ike T.

We can find and mold a ILB and replacement for Ike in 3 seasons.
Do you REALLY think that Ike has three season left?

The CB position is the hardest position (except for QB) to fill. The current rules make it nearly impossible to play the position.

After Ike, about twelve CBs have been drafted before the Steelers found Lewis & Allen. Why not sign Lewis right now?

Otherwise, if draft history is any indicator, the next three drafts would need to have three or four CBs drafted, just to ensure that the Steelers find what they ALREADY have in Lewis.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #58
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

typical of why we are in the situation we are in. we rather have an underproducing, aging, slow player based on convenience then let a young guy with high energy in there and learn by fire.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #59
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
typical of why we are in the situation we are in. we rather have an underproducing, aging, slow player based on convenience then let a young guy with high energy in there and learn by fire.
well sure when you put it that way. On the other hand, Foote was never a superstar. He is an experienced team veteran who stays healthy and calls the plays on D. Sure we could replace him, but don't we have enough spots to fill. They are still negotiating, and we'll see what the Steelers come up with.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #60
jb500ex
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
This kind of mentality has to change. Did Foote really have a good season? Look past the stats - he's slowing Timmons down. He's forcing Timmons to play two positions on the inside because Foote is too slow to cover effectively. So, he's put into a role to blitz and disrupt which he can't do very well, either. He's forcing the teams hand here and Timmons is, again, playing both inside positions.

How about we draft someone that isn't 32 and can cover and blitz effectively which would do two things: it lets Timmons finally play the position he was drafted to do and, in turn, would give a significant boost to the pass rush.

We have to change this mentality of being loyal to guys that aren't effective. I don't put a lot of stock into the 'tackle' stat - Ray Lewis had 44 tackles heading into the Super Bowl and was utterly useless on the field. Remember him trying to cover Vernon Davis? It was embarrassing. Foote's game is similar - he can't cover and he can't disrupt because he's too old to contribute consistently.

Time to head for greener pastures, Larry.
lmao so clueless. Timmons struggles to play his position he is not playing two. As a matter of fact play for play foots was better the. Timmons but everyone gets all excited over Timmons 3 good games. They forget his three horrendous o Ed to start the year and he fact foote carried us in hose games. Foote does dour duty in the running game because Timmons is so weak he gets blown out 90% of running plays.
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote