Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,549 Times in 4,087 Posts
Default Re: Hunt for three key draftees heats up for Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
OLBs: They'll likely all be gone.

ELAM: True. While I want Elam on the Steelers, the smartest move would be to trade back & draft him at 25ish. Actually, if John Cyprien keeps gaining momentum, Elam could drop into R2.

ESCOBAR: I am pleased to have convinced you. I watched Escobar many a night, and the kid is Aaron Hernandez. He also reminds me quite a bit of Heath Miller, in the sense that Ryan Lindley played like BB: scramble around, look downfield, and then hit Escobar to convert the third down. Escobar actually had a better sophomore season (better QB)... so, he actually lost some draft status... and now, with his bad combine, he would be a R4 steal for the Steelers. R3 makes a ton of sense, and I would gladly applaud his selection in that round.
Well, we're going to have to "settle" for Mingo because Jordan had an insane combine. I mean, settling for Mingo is still one of the better picks in the draft but I really, really wanted Jordan. Damontre Moore is also in the conversation - he had a terrible conversation and 12 reps on the bench is unacceptable. His stock just dropped considerably.

I'd take Escobar in the third. Means Lattimore in the second, though. So, we can't take a Safety until at least R4 which could be a problem.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #42
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,093 Times in 8,063 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Well, we're going to have to "settle" for Mingo because Jordan had an insane combine. I mean, settling for Mingo is still one of the better picks in the draft but I really, really wanted Jordan. Damontre Moore is also in the conversation - he had a terrible conversation and 12 reps on the bench is unacceptable. His stock just dropped considerably.

I'd take Escobar in the third. Means Lattimore in the second, though. So, we can't take a Safety until at least R4 which could be a problem.
Not that I want to wait that long, but it is a deep, deep draft for safeties. Assuming it's Jones/Mingo/Ansah in R1, then Lattimore & Escobar in R2 & R3, this could be R4 & R5: Swearinger & Williams.

Not too shabby.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #43
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,093 Times in 8,063 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
I hear ya, there is going to be a ton of roster spots open on our team, but if Jonathan Cooper is on the board at 17, you got to take him.. We'd have the best, youngest, talented Oline in the league, possibly for years.
Someone agrees with you.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02...k-draft-board/
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #44
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,690 Times in 3,130 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
I hear ya, there is going to be a ton of roster spots open on our team, but if Jonathan Cooper is on the board at 17, you got to take him.. We'd have the best, youngest, talented Oline in the league, possibly for years.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that we don't know who the Steelers have on their list of top players. If he's available at 17 and the Steelers have him rated as a top 10 player, they are going to take him. All this depends on who's already off the board when the Steelers make their picks and who's available, and where they are rated on the teams list of players from best to worst. If there's value, they make the pick. If not, they move down if possible.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #45
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
This would make me very happy!

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #46
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,549 Times in 4,087 Posts

Here's an interesting situation:

Say you're sitting on the board at 17 and Jacksonville calls you. This is what they offer:

To Jacksonville:

17th Overall Selection
47th Overall Selection
2014 5th Round Pick

To Steelers:

2014 First Round Pick
33rd Overall Selection
2014 Second Round Pick
2014 Fourth Round Pick

Do you take it? Now, bear in mind, there's a very good chance that Jacksonville ends up with at least the third overall selection with the potential to be selecting first overall which means Jadeveon Clowney or Teddy Bridgewater, should we choose to go the Quarterback route. Now, "Johnny Football" is eligible for next years draft and you know teams are going to want to trade up for a Heisman winner. You're looking at the potential for multiple first and second round picks in that situation. If I'm in that situation, I can't say the words "done deal" fast enough.

There are a couple of drawbacks, though. For starters, we're out of the Vaccaro and Mingo sweepstakes. Next, we're probably out of the Cornelius Carradine sweepstakes at that point, too. We wouldn't have an extra second round pick in this years draft but would be stockpiling them for next year.

I say the pro's outweigh the con's. But hey, I'm just bored.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #47
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,226 Times in 3,471 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Steelers Canada, I like it I just think we have to many needs this year.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
Wallace17
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17793

1st round- Ezikel Ansah please please please do not pass on this guy. Hopefully he is still there If not take the risk on Javris Jones. I would not mind Ogletree or Dion Jordan Either. If none are availble take some offense. Cordelle patterson or Eddie Lacy would fit nice as well.
2nd Round- We do not get anything through offense at this point we need a back at this point Monte Ball fit our mold or Eddie Lacy. Lacy is the safe Pick but Ball has steeler written all over him. Im usally not wrong about running backs. I wanted Ray Rice when we had the chance to draft him over mendenhall. Good pick tomlin.
3rd round-Ok this is our round to grab a wide reciever I say Robert Woods all day this guy is a pure hands wide reciever. He was easily the best WR at the combine. If he is gone buy then Justin Hunter a big 6'4" guy the only thing that worrys me is another big WR like limas Sweed.
4th-Baccari Rambo we need to get younger at FS. Thats All i Am saying hey if hunter or woods are still availible take another wr would be a steal but we need to get younger at safety and rambo is a beast
5th- I know we proably already would have a running back by now but two isnt going to cut it take marcus Lattimore he would of prob been a first round pick if not for his knee.
6th- Jake stoneburner TE- Miller is hurt and pope sucks.
7th round- Denard robinson WR,QB and Mike Mutati ILB
Wallace17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wallace17 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-03-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #49
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Here's an interesting situation:

Say you're sitting on the board at 17 and Jacksonville calls you. This is what they offer:

To Jacksonville:

17th Overall Selection
47th Overall Selection
2014 5th Round Pick

To Steelers:

2014 First Round Pick
33rd Overall Selection
2014 Second Round Pick
2014 Fourth Round Pick

Do you take it? Now, bear in mind, there's a very good chance that Jacksonville ends up with at least the third overall selection with the potential to be selecting first overall which means Jadeveon Clowney or Teddy Bridgewater, should we choose to go the Quarterback route. Now, "Johnny Football" is eligible for next years draft and you know teams are going to want to trade up for a Heisman winner. You're looking at the potential for multiple first and second round picks in that situation. If I'm in that situation, I can't say the words "done deal" fast enough.

There are a couple of drawbacks, though. For starters, we're out of the Vaccaro and Mingo sweepstakes. Next, we're probably out of the Cornelius Carradine sweepstakes at that point, too. We wouldn't have an extra second round pick in this years draft but would be stockpiling them for next year.

I say the pro's outweigh the con's. But hey, I'm just bored.
That's a no-brainer from the Steelers side. You can then try to trade the 2014 2nd and 4th rounds picks for another 2013 pick.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #50
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,402 Times in 4,444 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Means Lattimore in the second, though. So, we can't take a Safety until at least R4 which could be a problem.
no way do you draft Lattimore in the second round, he may not even be able to play at all this year...