Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #51
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Hunt for three key draftees heats up for Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
It all depends on who's there at 17.
quite right

if DE/OLB Mingo/Jarvis Jones, S Kenny Vacaro and maybe even WR Tavon Austin is there - which way do you go?

only the Big Board knows
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #52
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
quite right

if DE/OLB Mingo/Jarvis Jones, S Kenny Vacaro and maybe even WR Tavon Austin is there - which way do you go?

only the Big Board knows
don't worry - Artie will screw it up - just like he when he screwed it up and told Cowher and co. to take a kid from Miami of Ohio instead

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #53
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,786 Times in 8,647 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
quite right

only the Big Board knows
Matt Elam is my heart choice, with Tavon Austin being a close second. BUT, Elam would be a reach... as might be Austin.

Vaccaro makes a ton of sense.

Vaccaro & Elam are great, but there are many "good" safeties to be had in R2 (even through R5). There is only one Tavon (although, there are a lot of good WRs).

There are a bunch of OLBs at the top... and then none for a while. Thus, the "smart" pick would be Jones or Mingo... but, honestly, I keep going back to Austin.

If I could get Austin in R1, and trade up in R2 for Elam, I wouldn't care about the rest of the draft.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
First2seven (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #54
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
quite right

only the Big Board knows
Jarvis Jones. Yes he has injury concern. But you take the chance of having the best OLB in the draft.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #55
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Jarvis Jones. Yes he has injury concern. But you take the chance of having the best OLB in the draft.
If Jones is there I would grab him in a second. With that said I wouldbe as surprised as last year's draft when DeCastro fell if Jones is still there at 17.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #56
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,018 Times in 4,670 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

It’s Time for the Steelers to Add Playmakers

March 5,2013
by steeldad

This is something I really wanted to wait and write a week or so heading into the draft, but I just need to get it off my chest. Obviously much of what I say here can be severely altered in the next few weeks due to off-season moves and rookie pro days, but that really isn’t going to change my thinking too much.

The Pittsburgh Steelers need playmakers and they can’t wait for the 3rd round of the 2013 NFL Draft to get them.

You have to go back to the 2008 draft to find a time when the Steelers selected a skill-position player in the first round. In 2012, the Steelers did not select a skill player until the 5th round and he’s no longer on the roster. In 2011, they did not select a skill position guy until the 7th round.

The Steelers for years have sunk money into their defense and now with a franchise quarterback in his prime, it’s time to show the offense some love. Look at this breakdown of how much money is contractually spent on defensive players versus offensive for the Steelers. It’s a little mind-numbing, but not surprising.

League-wide, the Steelers rank 4th in terms of amount spent on defense and they rank 29th in the amount spent on offense. If you think in terms of money, the defense takes up $64.9 million while the offense takes up $45.2 million.

I’m not suggesting those should be more on a level of 50/50, but it’s clear that this organization needs to stop wasting the talent of a pro bowl quarterback by surrounding him with second-tier talent.

Since 2008, the Steelers have drafted a defensive tackle, center, defensive end and guard with their first picks. Of that group, only Maurkice Pouncey has ‘panned out’ to this point and while there is still time for Cam Heyward and Ziggy Hood, that time is expiring quickly. Certainly David DeCastro will need another year or two before any judgment can be passed.

The bottom line is that the Steelers need to show Todd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger that they are willing to spend high picks on offense. Yes, the defense still needs to replace aging vets but the way this draft is shaking out, I like the depth of potential playmakers in the early rounds more than ever before.

The Steelers need to look into this direction sooner rather than later.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...akers/13056292
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #57
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Play-maker... sounds like Tavon.

Really though, as someoine said in a Wallace thread (please, do NOT turn this into a Wallace thread): Wallace did not fit in Haley's quick-strike offense... but... Tavon sure as hell does. Why had I not thought of this fact before!?!

I have been asking for a tall WR (or a TE) for the red-zone (and I still would like one), but Tavon is the PERFECT weapon for the Haley offense.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #58
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,586 Times in 998 Posts
My Mood: Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Play-maker... sounds like Tavon.

Really though, as someoine said in a Wallace thread (please, do NOT turn this into a Wallace thread): Wallace did not fit in Haley's quick-strike offense... but... Tavon sure as hell does. Why had I not thought of this fact before!?!

I have been asking for a tall WR (or a TE) for the red-zone (and I still would like one), but Tavon is the PERFECT weapon for the Haley offense.
What's wrong with another Wallace thread? We don't have nearly enough of those threads on this forum. I think we could also use a few more Ben threads, for we certainly don't have enough of those, either.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
teegre (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #59
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,018 Times in 4,670 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksburgSteeler13 View Post
What's wrong with another Wallace thread? We don't have nearly enough of those threads on this forum. I think we could also use a few more Ben threads, for we certainly don't have enough of those, either.
exactly, there is no such thing as too many Mike Wallace threads...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #60
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksburgSteeler13 View Post
My next thread:
"Mike Wallace says that BB buries his head in the sand, while LeBeau is busy being old."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (03-06-2013), harrison'samonster (03-06-2013)