Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,300 Posts
Default ESPN Insider: AFC North Holes

Pittsburgh Steelers: Linebacker

It is rare to see the Steelers fall out of Football Outsiders' top 10 for defensive efficiency. In fact, it hadn't happened since 2003, when Pittsburgh held the league's 15th-best defense. In the years between, the team posted five top-five defensive seasons, and any fan can tell you this consistent excellence was sustained by Dick LeBeau's exceptional linebacker corps. James Harrison, Larry Foote, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons are still a fearsome foursome, but there are major cracks showing through.

Foote is 32, declining and coming off an atrocious season by Pittsburgh linebacker standards. His biggest struggles were in coverage, as Foote allowed 7.1 yards per pass according to the FO game-charting project. The 34-year-old Harrison is also clearly on the downside of his great career. Harrison has indicated he is willing to restructure his contract to stay in Pittsburgh, but the Steelers are strapped for cash and might not be able to squeeze the cap hit small enough to make the numbers work. Like Foote, Harrison struggled in coverage. He appeared more tentative, perhaps in response to concerns about fines. Poor performances by Pittsburgh's veterans were indicative of a unit-wide problem defending the pass. On pass coverage against running backs, generally the linebackers' responsibility, Pittsburgh ranked 20th in DVOA; against tight ends, the Steelers finished 31st in DVOA.

The looming question is how ready 2012 third-round draft pick Sean Spence will be in 2013 after suffering a horrific, season-ending knee injury in the preseason. If all goes well, the team can ease Spence into Foote's role, but in the end that leaves the team with Cincinnati washout Brandon Johnson, long-time project Stevenson Sylvester and undrafted free agents Adrian Robinson and Marshall McFadden backing up an increasingly injury-prone list of starters.

The clock is ticking, and the Steelers must look to restock their cupboard of 'backers in the draft. Some early mocks have Jarvis Jones falling to the 17th spot, but the Steelers would be more than happy with Sam Montgomery or Manti Te'o.
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-13-2013), StainlessStill (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,300 Posts
Default Re: ESPN Insider: AFC North Holes

I dont see anyway possible Jarvis Jones falls to us at 17. I have not seen one draft that he fell that far.

If he falls to double digits then maybe i could see a trade up, but falling to 17, no way.

Why would a team like the Jets let him get pass pick 9 any way?

Teo at ILB, and Spence at olb?

Dont see us taking Teo either at 17.

Montgomery could be an option but would need to convert to de,

We need a guy at 17 who is going to come in and play right away.

Teo wouldnt with Timmons and Foote Still here.

Whats the deal with Spence and Sylester, Robinson?
I remember Robinson looked real good in pre-season.

I think I prefer Varraco for us at 17. as we arent getting any younger on the back end

I am just hoping for a healthy year all around and it will be a major step towards playoffs
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Hey great! Talk up our weaknesses all you ESPN guys want! It'll only play into our favor when we have a good season......one of which I think is coming up.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,360 Times in 566 Posts

I was talking with my dad the other day about our thin linebacking core. I'm worried about them too. We'll see if we can get some productivity out of guys like Worlids, Sylvester and Robinson. Spence is the XFACTOR.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Im a little worried about spence's size and durability in run defense

In the games he played in before he got hurt.....he was like Larry Foote Jr

Tried to dance around too many blockers instead of holding his ground and making the opposing RBs hesitate on when to hit the holes

On the plus side he showed great speed and athleticism in his pass defense ability .....He was in on a few pass defenses that were a good bit out of normal LBs range of coverage....very much like Timmons sometimes

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post

Tried to dance around too many blockers instead of holding his ground and making the opposing RBs hesitate on when to hit the holes

On the plus side he showed great speed and athleticism in his pass defense ability .....He was in on a few pass defenses that were a good bit out of normal LBs range of coverage....very much like Timmons sometimes
I don't think it is/was him or his size. I think it is the "complicated LeBeau system"
that wastes our young talents!
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post

It was only preseason, but I saw Spence moving to the ballcarrier and attacking the LOS. It was only 2's vs 2's, so I dont know how anybody can write the kid off yet. If he stayed healthy, IMO he would have replaced Foote in Week 9 last year.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,254 Times in 8,463 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
It was only preseason, but I saw Spence moving to the ballcarrier and attacking the LOS. It was only 2's vs 2's, so I dont know how anybody can write the kid off yet. If he stayed healthy, IMO he would have replaced Foote in Week 9 last year.
I agree: the kid is a tackling machine... with some of the greatest instincts that I've seen.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,922 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I agree: the kid is a tackling machine... with some of the greatest instincts that I've seen.
Let me ask you this, though. Do you think his size is a disadvantage? Picture him trying to go against bigger backs - someone like Trent Richardson, for example. He can defend the pass very, very well and uses his exceptional speed to break up and pick off passes but his tackling against bigger backs comes into question. Our scheme calls for our Inside Linebackers to have the ability to shed blocks and get into the backfield and this is something that Spence lacks dearly.

I'm not as high on him as most people are and I honestly think he's a situational player in the NFL.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Im not writing him off, Im just not sold on him being the 1st and 2nd down run stuffer just yet.....

I could definitely see him getting the snaps over Foote when we have the other team in obvious passing situations

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote