Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Madden: Steelers' Problems Might be Too Big

http://www.timesonline.com/columnist...a4bcf6878.html

Steelers' problems might be too big
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:51 pm
By Mark Madden

Turmoil didn't cause 8-8; 8-8 caused turmoil.

But the fact remains that the Steelers locker room appears lousy with malcontents, laggards and tattletales. Which is worst? That's in the eye of the beholder

Such malaise is common with most NFL teams. Localization thereof is just another reminder that the Steelers are no longer a "special" franchise - if they ever were.

So, who's at fault?

Coach Mike Tomlin is hardly blameless. He seems to cede a bit more control and lose a bit more discipline every year.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is the founder of the latest tempest. Critics like Ryan Clark may characterize the unnamed Steeler source as a rat, but no one is calling that unnamed source a liar.

It's common knowledge that Woodley was out of shape, overweight and lacked dedication. The proof was in his season: Just four sacks and a level of invisibility the Steelers can't afford from an edge rusher.

Clark and Antonio Brown are right when they say the matter should have been kept in-house. But, given that, why did they keep discussing it publicly?

Oh, right: Got to get on TV.

What's a bigger sin: Tanking a season due to lard and laziness, like Woodley? Or calling Woodley out anonymously after the fact? Stinking, or snitching?

Going 8-8 suggests the former. Gangsta culture dictates the latter.

Hines Ward knows where things went wrong: He retired. Humility lives.

"When you lose so much leadership in the locker room, that is where things present itself like that," Ward told the NFL Network.

The Steelers don't lack leadership. They lack followers. The Young Money Crew and the Florida Gators posse (known collectively as the No-Ring Mafia) seem to believe they got NFL life figured out. So shut up, Troy.

The Steelers also lack self-awareness. The Steelers, as an organization and as individuals, are rarely made to experience an unpleasant moment. As a result, they seem to believe they shouldn't. They run this town, and they know it.

But when you go 8-8 and miss the playoffs, you don't get treated like immortals coated in Teflon. Punks, loafers and lousy performances get called out.

Humiliation isn't always bad. It can motivate. Woodley's problems weren't sorted out internally, or privately. So tell the outside world and see what happens.

Some feel Mike Wallace's impending departure (via Rolls-Royce

Phantom) will restore order. But there is a lot more than one bad apple.

The idea of a player currently without a contract or team purchasing a car that costs $500K is dumbfounding, isn't it? Wallace is in a temporary profession making temporary money. But someday he'll be a TV star: Wallace will be the primary protagonist on ESPN 30 for 30's "Broke 2."

So, how will the Steelers straighten out their locker room?

Winning is generally a cure-all. It's also easier said than done.

The Steelers' biggest problem has traditionally been when they don't recognize there's a problem. But perhaps the Steelers' current problems are too big. Perhaps too many bad actors populate their roster. Perhaps there are insufficient replacements for the broken parts that need to be replaced.

Only one thing seems certain: The Steelers are a lot closer to a losing season than they are a Super Bowl.

On the field, the Steelers' best bet is turning their hopes over to Ben Roethlisberger, one of football's top five quarterbacks. But tradition dictates the Steelers strive for balance on offense and hard-hitting defense. Don't let Roethlisberger win the game in the first quarter. Ask him to bail you out in the last.

Didn't work in 2012. Won't work in 2013. Between inferior weaponry and outdated philosophy, the Steelers are wasting their $102 million quarterback.

You think 8-8 caused turmoil? We might see what 6-10 produces.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,368 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Madden: Steelers' Problems Might be Too Big

BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,433 Times in 4,684 Posts

Mark Madden is the definition of an ignorant piece of shit. He doesn't have anything good to say about the Steelers or it's players at any time. He was calling out Ryan Clark of all people earlier this year and was acting like a complete asshat.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,772 Times in 4,298 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

I like the title: "Steelers problems might be too big". But Madden should have added, "or maybe they aren't too big, what the hell do I know?"
Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

sounds like he is spot on
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sloppyjoe For This Useful Post:
defence (02-26-2013), steelcityboyz (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,248 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Sorry GoFor7 - just because you bolded "bail you out in the last" by Mark Madden doesn't mean that's what was intended

the same article dings the supporting cast for their piss poor attitude and lack of commitment - same piss poor cast that didn't help bail Roethlisberger out

add injuries and 5-3 turns into 8-8

Again - where were you when Ben was finding 10 different receivers and beating the defending champs?

and by the way, just because I generally disagree with you and your whole attitude towards other Steelers fans, doesn't mean I'm burying my head in the sand and leaning back on the whole "We Got 6" attitutde

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

There's some truth in there, no matter what you think of Madden. I thought this point especially was pretty good:
Quote:
On the field, the Steelers' best bet is turning their hopes over to Ben Roethlisberger, one of football's top five quarterbacks. But tradition dictates the Steelers strive for balance on offense and hard-hitting defense. Don't let Roethlisberger win the game in the first quarter. Ask him to bail you out in the last.

Didn't work in 2012. Won't work in 2013. Between inferior weaponry and outdated philosophy, the Steelers are wasting their $102 million quarterback.
It does seem to me that we're not getting the bang we should out of our offense given that we have an amazing QB. We should think about whether our desperation time philosophy might be useful earlier in the game - it's OK to blow out an opponent right out of the gate. You don't get an extra star by keeping the game in balance until halfway through the 4th Q. Let's play to win vs. trying not to lose!

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
GoFor7 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Again - where were you when Ben was finding 10 different receivers and beating the defending champs?
Okay, they had three good games against teams that were playing their worst football at the time - and the Giants were just as mediocre as the Steelers were. Lousy comparison on your part. Those three games should not be enough to convince anyone this offense is successful.

Quote:
and by the way, just because I generally disagree with you and your whole attitude towards other Steelers fans, doesn't mean I'm burying my head in the sand and leaning back on the whole "We Got 6" attitutde
No, but your refusal to admit that Artie should stay out of football operations and that the Steelers made a lot of bad choices last offseason does indicate your head is buried in the sand and that you're very gullible.

You want the Steelers to be like Teflon. You want everybody to cheer lead them and just write off 2012 as a fluke. Guess what - doesn't work like that. When your team finishes 8-8, and guys like Clark and Brown run their mouths to the media, bad things are going to be written about the Steelers - and rightly so.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Madden's a fat pig!!! Just sayin....
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Fine

Madden makes sense. The Steeler fans are as in denial as some of the players, Brown and Sanders are scared to death of running a slant pattern and it showed in countless fumbles and dropped passes. The young money crew 'no ring crew' needs to practice hard and bulk up. Seems that some Steelers need to realize this team isn't intimidating anyone anymore and that includes the Browns(which until recently were their stepping stones) This team has an aging defense,ZERO running game WRs that think the world should bow to them ( stop celebrating every catch!) and no backup QB. The Steelers absolutely have MASSIVE problems and they might be too big to address in one offseason but I'll still watch my team and cheer them on. How can anyone be upset with Maddens' article? It's pretty accurate even if we don't want to admit it.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casteeler For This Useful Post:
Millers the sh!t (02-27-2013), steeltheone (02-26-2013)