Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,212 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers renegotiating contract

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...t/Default.aspx

The Pittsburgh Steelers and representatives for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have worked on renegotiating the two-time Super Bowl champion's contract, and an agreement could come by the end week, Albert Breer of NFL Network and NFL.com citing a source apprised of the process.

Roethlisberger is scheduled to carry a prohibitive cap figure of $19.595 million in 2013, and the Steelers are working through tricky waters in regard to the salary cap, which is expected to land between $122 million and $123 million for this season. The Steelers, as it stands right now, have 10 players accounting for just over $100 million in cap space, and linebacker James Harrison (2013 cap hit: $10.035 million) is one player the team has been trying to make a decision on.

At this point, the expectation is that Roethlisberger's deal will be renegotiated, not extended. The Steelers' precedent has been to extend quarterbacks with two years left on their contracts, and that would mean Roethlisberger could get a new deal next offseason.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,026 Times in 3,729 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers renegotiating contract

this is going to be interesting to see how it plays out
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Let's see BB do a "Brady" and help us out!!!!!!! Please!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
Let's see BB do a "Brady" and help us out!!!!!!! Please!
The Brady story was wrong.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...llion-to-sign/

Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
this is going to be interesting to see how it plays out
I think it will get resolved, but non the less interesting!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Add Timmons to the restructure list

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2M2UUHTMZ

Quote:

The Steelers are working with agents to restructure some of their veteran players' contracts as they move to get under the NFL's salary cap as required by March 12.

Among those they will restructure are Ben Roethlisberger and Lawrence Timmons, and both could be done before the end of this week. They may want to know if they'll have enough to try to sign free agent receiver Steve Breaston, who plans to visit their South Side facility Thursday or Friday.

They also met with Bill Parise, the agent for James Harrison, at the NFL combine to discuss his contract situation.

None of those whose contracts are restructured will lose money. The new deals do not add years to the players' contracts either, they merely are reworked for bookkeeping purposes to create salary cap room.

Typically, they turn much of a players' 2013 salary into a bonus, which are pro-rated over the life of the contract for salary cap purposes.

For example, Roethlisberger is signed for the next three seasons. His salary for 2013 is $11.6 million. To make it simple, they could take $9 million of that salary and put it into a bonus, spreading the cap hit at $3 million per year on the books. That would create $6 million in salary cap room with Roethlisberger, who would still receive $11.6 million this year.

Same with Timmons, who has four years left on his contract. He is due a salary of $5.375 million this year. They could put $4 million of that into a bonus and save another $3 million in cap room this year.

Harrison's case is different. He is due $6.57 million this year and $7.57 million in 2014. Conceivably, they could turn most of his salary in 2013 into a bonus and save some room. They also could be preparing to ask him, at age 35, to take a pay cut. Parise said while they met in Indianapolis, neither option was discussed but that they plan to meet again.

Another likely candidate to restructure to create room is LaMarr Woodley, although they have not approched him yet. He has four years left on his contract with a $9 million salary scheduled for 2013. They could create approximately $6 million in cap space with him.

Besides restructuring players' contracts, they also may release a veteran or two.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
stb_steeler (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

colbert - "james we need you to take a pay cut...."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
OX1947 (02-26-2013), Steel_Bus_24 (02-26-2013), TheVet (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

I guess it's a good news/bad news scenario. Good for the short-term, but doesn't this just keep putting a Band-Aid on a bullet hole? These restructures are part of why we're in this mess to begin with. Sadly, and I hate to say it, I think we need to release Harrison if he won't take the pay cut. We can't keep mortgaging the future for a short-term fix.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Is it a restructure or a re-negotiation? I find it interesting that they never use the term "restructure" which is what we usually do which kills our cap, "renegotiating" implies to me that he's straight up taking a pay cut.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Is it a restructure or a re-negotiation? I find it interesting that they never use the term "restructure" which is what we usually do which kills our cap, "renegotiating" implies to me that he's straight up taking a pay cut.
Good point. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the wording. It may still be the same thing though.

I would think that if Ben was taking a pay cut to help the team, they'd come right out and say that. I'm sure they would want the fans to know how much of a team player he was being. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote