Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,053 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Marcus Lattimore way ahead of schedule in bid to play this year

What do you guys think is he worth a R2 pick?

PENSACOLA, Fla. Marcus Lattimore shocked his world-renowned surgeon, not only with an unprecedented speedy recovery from a complete knee rebuild but with his first words after the complex November surgery.

The former University of South Carolina star expressed two concerns to James Andrews on Nov. 2 following the 2-hour surgery to piece together the shredded ligaments of the running back's right knee.

First he wanted to know if they were able to fix all the damage (torn ACL, LCL and PCL) he suffered six days prior in the ninth game of his junior season. They had.

Next, Lattimore wanted to get to work on his environmental science homework, due online that night.

"He said, 'I've got to get my assignment in by midnight tonight,' "recalls Andrews, "I was laughing. I've never had an athlete wake up from major knee surgery and worry about the classroom. That tells you something about the kid, right?"

At the Andrews Institute, the doctor's staff would learn much more about Lattimore. The 21-year-old was determined to turn the second major knee injury of his career into the next great NFL comeback story. Andrews says he's three months ahead of schedule in his recovery and has gained 20 pounds of muscle. The surgeon maintains it's possible Lattimore could play in 2013.

OPTIMISTIC APPROACH: Lattimore believes he will play in 2013

"I want to be an inspiration," Lattimore tells USA TODAY Sports. "To let people know that with hard work, and when you trust in God, you can come back from anything and do anything."

'I know he's not afraid'

As South Carolina won its final three regular season games to finish 11-2, Lattimore weighed his options. If he stayed in school, he could restore his once-booming draft stock. If he declared himself pro eligible, he could finish the semester and spend the next few months at the Andrews Institute and the Athletes' Performance facility, with his agent footing the bill. It could mean less money if and when he was drafted.

In his mind, there was no if.

"I wanted to come down because I knew the reputation they had with guys with knee injuries," Lattimore says. "If I had stayed in school I wouldn't have been able to come down here and get the best treatment in the world and be ready to go."

But Lattimore wasn't thinking football when he awoke following surgery: That online quiz was done 30 minutes before the midnight deadline.

"I don't remember doing it," says Lattimore, grinning beneath a black skull cap covering corn-rowed hair.

By then, Lattimore had ditched a desire to quit the game after tearing an ACL for the second time in little more than a year. His sophomore season ended with a major, yet far less serious knee injury.

"The day I got hurt again, I said, I know I'm done," he says. "Those first two weeks after surgery, it's hurting every day. You can't sleep. You're by yourself a lot. I knew I didn't want to go through that again."

read more

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...edule/1930953/
austinfrench76 (02-22-2013), harrison'samonster (02-21-2013), teegre (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,666 Times in 4,664 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Marcus Lattimore way ahead of schedule in bid to play this year

sounds like a great guy. It breaks your heart to hear about somebody who's worked so hard and is about to make it all count and then an injury like this almost takes it away. Glad to see he's recovering.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,671 Times in 10,410 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
It breaks your heart to hear about somebody who's worked so hard and is about to make it all count and then an injury like this almost takes it away.
TWICE.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
sounds like a great guy. It breaks your heart to hear about somebody who's worked so hard and is about to make it all count and then an injury like this almost takes it away. Glad to see he's recovering.
This kid is special, I've met him a few times and know some of his people. I'm a Gamecock as well and hope that he can persevere. God knows he deserves a shot at it.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,671 Times in 10,410 Posts
My Mood: Dead

At the beginning of the last college season, were three players that I wanted to become Steelers, and thus, I watched as many of their games as possible:
Matt Elam, Florida
Tavon Austin, WVU
Marcus Lattimore, SCar

I was crushed when that injury happened.

I guess that the "silver lining" is that now, if things pan out perfectly, the Steelers could now get all three: the Steelers could still get Lattimore in R3... my gut tells me that Austin might drop far enough into R2 for the Steelers to snag him... and, Elam at 17 would complete the trifecta (although, admittedly, 17 is too high for Elam).

Anyway... looking at the bright side of life. (Right, Terry Gilliam?)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,897 Times in 6,116 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Round 2 is way too early to take this kind of a risk on a guy who may not even be able to play this year, we need immediate impact guys. I would not pick him before Round 4....
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Round 3
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

Two back to back knee injuries? Maybe if he is available in the 5th
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree with the 3rd round. This kid is a beast but it would be much more surprising if he doesn't get hurt again than if he has a 3-4 year run in the league. Seems like he loves the game too! Why can't the a-holes get hurt!?!?!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Two back to back knee injuries? Maybe if he is available in the 5th
Knee injuries are tough on someone that relies on explosiveness to play his position
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote