Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #101
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,947 Times in 9,371 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Offensive Line is STILL a big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
I hope all of you are right about Beachum. I didn't see enough to consider him a sure asset.
"Sure"... not yet.

"Promising"... after years of seeing the likes of Jon Scott, Kemo, The Colon, Darnell Stapleton, Tony Hills, et ceterta... YES, he looks like a very nice player for a R7 pick.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #102
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I concur.

Beachum was a Kugler pick. They had other guys rated higher, but Kugler wanted Beachum. He saw a smart, smart kid... and begged for him to be drafted. Great pick for round seven.

I watched DD for two seasons... and waited. Then, he was drafted... and I had to wait one more year. I will be ecstatic when he starts to play next season. He is a 305 pound fullback (I have never seen a lineman block in the open field so well).

Oh, and DD had that one bad game, when he came back EARLY from a knee injury and was asked to block Geno Atkins (the best DT in the NFL) one-on-one. People seem to be crucifying him for that game... which I "guess" they can do if they want. Whereas, I point to another game (was it Dalls?) where, on a goal-line run, DD blew a hole through the D-line, that Casey the Hutt could have walked through
It was embarrassing what Geno did to him...That's why it sticks out....I have high hopes for DD too..I thought he could be better than the " paper " all pro Pouncey and i still hope he can.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #103
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,048 Times in 4,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
It was embarrassing what Geno did to him...That's why it sticks out....I have high hopes for DD too..I thought he could be better than the " paper " all pro Pouncey and i still hope he can.
There's not a lot of Guards that can take Atkins on one-on-one and win that battle, let alone a rookie right Guard making his 3rd start. Expecting anything more than what we saw was unreasonable.

Disagree on Pouncey - he'll be better now that he actually has an offensive line playing around him and doesn't have to overcompensate.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #104
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Starks has been the best tackle on the Steelers since Smith left. The Steelers were forced to pay Starks that money because they neglected the O-line for so long. They really didn't have much of a choice.
ain't that the truth

He's given us the hometown discount so many times and produced, I can see him leaving for one last big paycheck, if anyone is interested

last I heard...

Max Starks thinks he’s done in Pittsburgh

Like several of his teammates, Max Starks doesn’t know if he’ll be back with the Steelers next year. He’ll soon be an unrestricted free agent who could be one of the top tackles available on the open market.

After all, he’s only 30 years old and he’s held up quite well this season on a surgically-repaired right knee. After suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in last season’s wild-card loss in Denver, he’s been a model of consistency at left tackle. Not only has he started every game, he’s the Steelers’ only offensive player to be on the field for all 970 snaps this year.

Times pro football reporter Mike Bires spoke to Starks about his performance this year and his future. Following are excerpts of the interview:

Q: Have you thought about the possibility that your time in Pittsburgh might be over?
A: “This will always be home for me. This is the place where I’ve spent my entire career up to this point. I have roots here. So I will always be back in some form or fashion whether it’s wearing the Steelers uniform or not.”

Q: The Steelers drafted tackles in the second round of the past two drafts: Marcus Gilbert last year and Mike Adams this year. What does that tell you?
A: “Anytime you draft tackles in the second round in back-to-back years, I think it’s their plan to have them as the starting left and right tackles in the future. That’s their goal. So being a realist, I am not expecting to be back.”

Q: Would you be comfortable coming back as a backup?
A: “I am not a backup yet. I don’t see myself in a backup role. I still have a couple more years in me before I even consider that role. The competitive fire is still there. I am starter capable. I feel that I have value somewhere.”

Q: How did your knee hold up?
A: “It had (close to) 1,000 plays on it. So I think it held up pretty well. I played the entire season thus far. It speaks to great surgeons and great rehab. I’m definitely blessed it wasn’t an issue at all this year.”

Q: Did you wear a knee brace?
A: “No, I did not wear one. I wore a knee brace at the beginning, but it was to evasive on my leg and it kind of pinched so I’d rather be more comfortable and wear a different kind of (protective) knee sleeve than wear a big, bulky brace.”

Q: Last week in the loss to the Bengals, tight end Heath Miller tore his ACL. Do you think he’ll be able to be bounce back and be 100 percent next year and play at high level like he has this year?
A: ”I think Heath has the capability of coming back strong. It happened early enough, pre-January. My injury happened on Jan. 8 (of last year) and I didn’t have surgery until the end of January. So Heath has a month jump of what I went through. He’s already had his surgery. Whether he starts the first preseason game or not, we’ll see. This year, I was back for the third preseason game.”

Q: How did you play this year? Can you grade your performance?
A: ”I thought I played pretty well. Obviously, I gave up three-and-a-half sacks on the year that I wish I wouldn’t have given up. Not bad. But I could have done better.”

Q: Have any of the coaches or general manager Kevin Colbert said anything to you about next year?
A: “You know they don’t say anything during the season. They call you maybe February 28, and say ‘Hey, I think were interested.’ They call you at the last possible minute. So no, they haven’t given me any indication at this time.”

Q: How many more years do you want to play?
A: “I’ll play for how many more years God blesses me to play.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...qNNgXk.twitter
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #105
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Anyone think we go after Eric Winston or will he be too expensive?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #106
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,745 Times in 979 Posts

From what I understand, he wasn't playing all that great for that much money. Looking at the KC game last year, the KC oline knocked the crap out of Hood and Woodley ( which isn't saying much) and Winston was apart of that ZBS they employed at RT.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #107
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,947 Times in 9,371 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
I remember, back in 2003, in one of the last games of Troy's ROOKIE season, he got turned around in the end-zone by Chad Johnson... and every Steelers fan was yelling, "BUST!!!"

Rookies are called "rookies" for a reason. (Make sense?)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
VaDave (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #108
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,048 Times in 4,580 Posts

Willie Colon in Pittsburgh Steelers' plans, agent says

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers were expected to part ways with Willie Colon, but it appears the left guard isn't going anywhere for the time being.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers' front office said they aren't planning to do anything with the veteran's contract and have not requested a pay cut.

Colon, 29, is set to earn $5.5 million next season as part of the five-year, $29 million contract he signed in 2011. The sense around the Steelers was that Colon would be cut as Pittsburgh sought to overhaul its offensive front with more athletic and durable linemen. Colon has started only 13 games over the past two years and wound up on injured reserve for the third straight season in 2012.

The Steelers have been tinkering with their line for years. They have young talent at guard in David DeCastro and are high on Kelvin Beachum as a potential answer inside. Colon is safe for now, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see the Steelers come calling about a reduction in pay before the season starts -- if he lasts that long.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ans-agent-says

-- They have no intention on cutting him right now because they clear more cap space if they cut him after June 1st.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #109
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Willie Colon in Pittsburgh Steelers' plans, agent says

-- They have no intention on cutting him right now because they clear more cap space if they cut him after June 1st.
yep, let's hope so - 3 yrs in a row on IR -

I don't believe any agent talk, they're all shysters
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #110
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,745 Times in 979 Posts

If we land Cooper, Colon is a gonna for sure.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote