Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,261 Posts
Default Re: Potential Wide Receiver in Round #2

I'd like to see the Steelers finally get an effective receiver at 6'3" or taller. It'd be nice to see on of the tall, strong guys in a Steelers uniform for once.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,458 Times in 4,809 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

2013 NFL Combine: Field Workout Recap - Wide Receivers

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrellle Patterson showed why his dynamic physical skill set has him as the No. 1-rated receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-2, 216-pound Patterson proved he is a physical freak and matchup nightmare with a 4.37 unofficial time in the 40-yard dash. His official time came in at a sterling 4.42 seconds. Patterson had some dropped passes in the field work; those were a problem for him last season. During the gauntlet drill, he showed the potential to make nice hands catches, but the early-entry wideout needs a lot of work. Patterson dropped a perfectly thrown bomb deep downfield. The Combine proved that his athletic skill set is off the charts, but he is still very raw and will need some patience to improve his all around receiving ability.

West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin was expected to be fast, but he exceeded expectations with a 40-yard dash unofficial time of 4.25 seconds with a 10-yard split of 1.45. The official time came in at 4.34 seconds and tied him for second. Austin was very good in the field drills, too. He ran good routes and displayed nice hands. Austin confirmed for NFL scouts that he has elite speed and looks poised to remain a source of splash plays in the NFL.

Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was the only player faster than Austin. Goodwin didn't get a lot of passes thrown his way in college, but he stood out with a good performance at the Senior Bowl. The 5-foot-9, 183-pounder kept the momentum going with an impressive Combine. He ran the 40-yard dash with an official time of 4.25 seconds and a 10-yard split of 1.43 seconds. The official time was 4.27 seconds.

Goodwin's 40 time was expected to be great. He is an Olympic track athlete and had a goal of breaking Chris Johnson's Combine record. Goodwin had some struggles in tracking and catching passes in the on-field drills. That dampers the enthusiasm from his 40 time, so Goodwin may not get a huge boost from the Combine.

Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (6-1, 214) had a solid Combine performance. He ran the 40-yard dash with an unofficial time of 4.50 seconds with an underwhelming 10-yard split of 1.59 seconds. In the field drills, however, Hopkins was one of the most impressive receivers with great route-running and hands. Those were the traits that made him extremely productive in 2012. He did his part in Indianapolis to confirm his grade as a top-60 selection.

Like Hopkins, West Virginia wide receiver Stedman Bailey ran a decent 40-yard dash but thrived in the field drills. He was massively productive for the Mountaineers because of great hands, route-running and quickness. At the Combine, Bailey was very fluid running downfield and did a perfect job of catching passes with his hands. He unofficially ran the 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds with a 10-yard split of 1.58 seconds. Bailey's quality Combine should lock him into a selection within the top-100 picks.

Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter helped himself with a good time in the 40-yard dash. He was a fast and explosive receiver before a 2011 knee injury that caused season-ending surgery. Hunter was productive in 2012 and gradually seemed to be getting his speed back. He ran the 40 in 4.41 seconds at the Combine, with a nice 10-yard split of 1.54 seconds. It was the fifth-fastest 10-yard split of the receivers in his group. Considering the 6-foot-4, 196-pounder is much bigger than a lot of those receivers, it was a good showing.

Hunter had some struggles in the field drills with his route-running. Coaches will see that issue as more correctable, so his better-than-expected 40 time could help him on draft day.

One of the surprising players to stand out at receiver was Texas A&M's Ryan Swope. The 6-foot, 205-pounder ran the 40-yard dash with an official time of 4.34 seconds. That tied with Tavon Austin for the second-fastest time. Swope ran good routes in the field drills and displayed that quickness and speed. He had a couple of dropped passes, but he can rectify that in the NFL. It was a superb Combine that helped Swope to stand out.

TCU wide receiver Josh Boyce had one of the most surprising Combine 40 times among the wide receivers with an official mark of 4.38 seconds. His 10-yard split was 1.56 seconds. Boyce (5-11, 206) didn't play that fast at TCU, so his 40 time could cause teams to go back and reevaluate him. His performance in the field work showed that he needs to improve his route-running and hands. Boyce had a bad dropped pass on perfectly thrown ball downfield. He still looks like a mid-to-late third-day pick.

While a lot of receivers didn't stand out in the field work, USC's Robert Woods was an exception. He showed off nice hands, especially in the gauntlet. Woods ran better than expected in the 40-yard dash with an unofficial time of 4.44 seconds. It was especially important for him to run well considering the ankle injury he was dealing with throughout the 2012 season. Woods (6-0, 201) needed a good Combine to help ensure that he is a second-round pick.

Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams needed a good Combine after a quiet Senior Bowl, and he came through with a good overall performance. Williams (6-2, 208) ran better than expected with an unofficial time of 4.46 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He also had a good 10-yard split of 1.52 seconds. Williams performed well in the field work too. He led the nation in receiving yards in 2012 and made big plays downfield, so he showed that he plays at 4.4 speed. The Combine should help Williams.

Oregon State wide receiver Markus Wheaton ran well with a 40 time of 4.45 seconds officially. It was a top-10 time, but he had a few drops in the gauntlet drill, including an ugly one on an out route. Wheaton (5-11, 189) has a bad habit of letting the ball get into his body and that leads to the drops. He is likely to go on the second day.

http://www.walterfootball.com/combine2013workoutWR.php
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #23
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

I prefer Justin Hunter, if he's still there in the second round.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #24
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,653 Times in 8,939 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I was hoping for Swope in R3 (or possibly R4). Now, with that great combine, he'll go R2.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #25
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

There arent many 'big'of receivers in this draft. If we don't get Hunter, we probably won't get a big receiver.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Helicopter2 Champion! Plupon Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I don't follow college games, so I can't answer your question. However, I would expect more of this type of attitude from people who have grown up watching TO and Ocho-sinko. It's just becoming part of the game.
I agree it is becoming the culture among WRs around the league. I mean I love Antonio Brown but I dont need him to let me know every time he gets a first down. My favorite Wr celebration is Cotchery's where he just simulates waving a terrible towel.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kent For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,613 Times in 3,414 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I liked Justin Hunter before the combine. I knew about the injury and how explosive he was the year before he got hurt. He was a high jumper with great hands. The kid is more natural at his position than his more highly rated teammate Patterson. I think he has a very high upside, and that he will be much more explosive the second year after the knee injury. What's embarassing is that I selfishly wanted him to run a 4.6 so he would be available later. I'm a horrible human being.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,146 Times in 1,987 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Show me who the thugs are and I'll show you a guy worth a Rd 5 pick

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,427 Times in 4,392 Posts

Rodney Smith is 6'5 225 lbs and ran a 4.44. Oh, and I didn't see him drop a ball throughout the combine. That's not to say he didn't drop any, I just didn't see it.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,613 Times in 3,414 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Rodney Smith is 6'5 225 lbs and ran a 4.44. Oh, and I didn't see him drop a ball throughout the combine. That's not to say he didn't drop any, I just didn't see it.
Yep. He's got a much thicker build. The rap on him is that he doesn't play as big as his physical size says he should. That doesn't mean he won't figure it out and fight for the ball and use that God given size he was blessed with.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote