Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #111
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,138 Posts
Default Re: Kenny Vaccaro Ideal Fit for Interested Steelers

I've been watching more and more videos on Kenny Vaccaro. Dude's a Steeler, in my mind. From what (admittedly little) tape I've seen, he seems to wrap up often and be a pretty ferocious hitter, on top of being able to fly around. There were a few plays in a highlight tape I saw that reminded me of Troy Polamalu pummeling Chris Johnson after dashing to the line of scrimmage from twenty-plus yards back.

I've all but signed Kenny to an extension at this point, in my mind.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #112
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

tape from the bowl game versus Oregon St.

To recap. He takes himself out of plays a couple of times. He gets several tackles after big gains. He breaks up a pass (very nice). He shows okay speed for college. Gets a personal foul for hitting someone.

If you watch the tape all the way through and see a top 20 pick then great. I personally don't see it. I think he can help but there is a bigger bust potential taking him there. Now, if he falls he becomes a great value in round 2.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #113
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

you can watch tape on any of the "top rated" players at any position, there will be flaws and mistakes. Remember these guys are college kids and they will still make mistakes. Pro's do. He is the top safety available in this draft and safety is a definite need for us. If he is available at 17 we should likely take him.
That being said I am expecting a surprise pick at 17 by the Steelers , assuming we don't trade down. Tyler Eifert anyone?
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #114
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 1,745 Times in 826 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
That being said I am expecting a surprise pick at 17 by the Steelers , assuming we don't trade down. Tyler Eifert anyone?
I think it comes down to who the Rams draft and I think it will be either Vaccaro or Patterson and the one they dont pick will be our pick.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #115
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i'd like him alot but i don't see how there's any possible way we'll pass on Jarvis Jones if he's still available when we pick.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRH For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #116
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,357 Times in 3,998 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Physical safety Kenny Vaccaro making his case to be a high draft pick

Safety Kenny Vaccaro is measured for scouts at Texas' NFL football pro day, Tuesday, March 26, 2013, in Austin, Texas.

BY ADAM H. BEASLEY

Tavon Austin doesn’t need much time or space to get up to speed. So when he has both, he is nearly impossible to catch.

Safety Kenny Vaccaro had that unenviable assignment on a play late in October’s West Virginia-Texas showdown. Austin — the Mountaineers’ diminutive but electric wide receiver — took a pitch on an end-around and appeared to have the angle to the sidelines.

He didn’t. Vaccaro tracked Austin across the field, cut him off at the pass and tripped him up after just a short gain.

Now, one play doesn’t make a career. (Austin did have more than 100 yards receiving that night, although not all against Vaccaro.)

Still, that flash of athleticism helps give the counterpoint to doubts about Vaccaro’s speed — arguably the only thing stopping him from being a top-10 pick in next week’s NFL Draft. And should the Dolphins take Vaccaro over Austin at No. 12, it might be one of the reasons why.

Former NFL scout and current NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah called Vaccaro’s showdown with Austin the defensive back’s “highlight moment.”

“You got to see him move around,” Jeremiah said. “He’s a physical kid. He’ll light you up.”

The Dolphins have noticed. They made Vaccaro one of their final predraft guests, which could mean they have real interest in taking him in the first round. (It could also be a smokescreen.)

Should they pick Vaccaro, the Dolphins would get a player most everyone sees as the year’s best safety — Vaccaro included.

“I think I bring the most to the table,” Vaccaro said at the NFL Combine in February.

The two-time All-Big 12 selection appeared in 51 games at Texas, starting 32 at safety — including every game his final two years.

Vaccaro, a native of Brownwood, Texas, and nephew of former Redskins corner A.J. Johnson, toyed with the idea of jumping to the NFL last year. But he returned to win a national championship.

It didn’t work out. Texas lost four times (including to Austin’s Mountaineers) in 2012, yet Vaccaro was stellar. He had a career-high 92 tackles — 4.5 of which were for loss — and two interceptions en route to Pro Football Weekly All-American honors.

“I think he’s one of the 10 or 12 best players in the draft,” Jeremiah said.

In college, Vaccaro played both safety positions, nickel cornerback and the dime position. In one-on-one reps at practice, he went against wide receivers.

“He’s a good, physical safety,” said Baylor receiver Terrance Williams. “You have to be paying attention when he’s guarding you. He’s someone that will jam you at the line of scrimmage. He has a good job of being physical but not too physical.”

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper isn’t quite so bullish.

Vaccaro ran a 4.59-second 40-yard dash at the Combine, which hurt his stock. Making matters worse, he didn’t run at Texas’ pro day because of a hip injury.

“Maybe three months ago or two months ago I would have said Vaccaro at 12; now I’m thinking more Vaccaro at 22 to St. Louis,” Kiper said recently. “Good football player, but I don’t know if you have to have the justification of the numbers to get up into the top 15, and I don’t think he did at this stage.”

To that, Vaccaro would say: Turn on the West Virginia tape.

“Me and Tavon were going at it all game,” Vaccaro said. “He’s a great player. I think I did pretty good. I would say he’s one of the most explosive players in the country and I’d say I was right there with him.”

• Randy Starks’ absence this week has made little impact on his contract situation. As of Friday, the two sides had not engaged in talks about an extension.

The Dolphins’ franchise tag designee has elected to sit out the voluntary program but will participate in the mandatory camps.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/2...#storylink=cpy