Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,528 Times in 2,676 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default Hard calls for Steelers? No, not one

Next week marks the one-year anniversary of the Steelers' cutdown beyond compare, the cumulative release of James Farrior, Aaron Smith and Hines Ward over three days. Just like that, three players who helped forge two Super Bowl titles, three powerful presences ... all gone.

One can only imagine how hard - no, excruciating - those calls must have been for Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin to make.
So one can further imagine their relief at having nothing of the kind this time around.

No, really.

For all the fuss in these parts that more big names might soon be booted, that James Harrison and Casey Hampton could be next, here's what seems to be escaping notice: The Steelers won't really have much to do with any of these calls.

Bearing in mind the deadline for Colbert and Omar Khan to slash roughly $14 million and meet the NFL's salary cap for free agency is March 12, and that contract restructuring already in motion will mostly take care of that, let's take a personnel inventory:

• If one assumes, as I do, that Mike Wallace will take his talent - that's singular - to South Beach, then Keenan Lewis will be the biggest ticket at hand.

I got the sense from Lewis near season's end he genuinely wants to stay, but he just as genuinely wants to be paid. Thus, he, like the rest of the Steelers' pending free agents, should be expected to test the open market.

This is about as close as the Steelers will come to a hard call. Lewis had a strong first season as a starter, and he'll deserve what he gets. But the top 10 corners in the league made $8 million or more. If Lewis is offered anything in that stratosphere, I'm backing off. The Steelers need to pick a number, then hold to it.

That's no dig at Lewis. Rather, it's a two-pronged consideration that Cortez Allen showed late in the season he can handle corner, too, and that Allen - unlike everyone else on this defense - could take the ball away more than once per lunar cycle.

It would be wonderful to have Lewis back, but the Steelers can't - and don't need to - overpay.

• Rashard Mendenhall, Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Larry Foote, Wallace and the rest of the pending free agents will test the market, too. Mendenhall won't be - and shouldn't be - welcomed back, but the Steelers surely would retain Starks, Foster and Foote at the right price.

Trouble is, that's realistic only with Foote. Teams need offensive linemen. Starks will get paid, and Foster will get his wish for a starting role. If Foote returns, it will be at a far lower rate than his 2012 cap hit of $3.6 million. Maybe even the NFL's minimum of $940,000.

The market will dictate all this far more than the Steelers.

• Hampton played better than most seem to realize this past season, but he'll turn 36 in December. Just as significant, Steve McLendon made enough splash plays at nose tackle that he eminently deserves to start. If Hampton gets a two-year offer somewhere or is promised a starting role, he should grab it and run. But if all he hears is one year, he'll likely stay.

With all respect to Hampton's achievements, the Steelers would be crazy to offer more.

• Harrison's play steadily improved right through season's end, but he'll be 35. If the Steelers were to cut him and the two years left on his contract - that's $6.57 million in 2013, $7.58 million in 2014 - they'd save $5.1 million in a cap hit for 2013.

That's attractive, sure, but is it worth it?

No way. Not with a wobbly, brittle Jason Worilds next in line. And most especially not with a glaring need for someone, anyone, to rush the passer until the real LaMarr Woodley rematerializes.

Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, has squawked about how his client shouldn't take a pay cut. The Steelers, naturally, would prefer a pay cut to a restructuring. But they're also smart enough to realize another team will pay Harrison at his existing terms.

Here's betting all concerned will wait for other matters to be settled, then work out a deal that helps the team manage the cap and protect itself against injury. This might linger until Latrobe.

Even here, the Steelers really don't have much of a call to make.

If Harrison wants to stay with the team that gave him a chance as an undrafted free agent out of Kent State, the one with which he was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year, the one with which he pounded out 100 yards for the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history, it'll get worked out.

If he wants to be stubborn, well, then we will see another big cutdown.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#ixzz2M6YsHSWv

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,726 Times in 969 Posts
Default Re: Hard calls for Steelers? No, not one

Harrison feels he earned the twelve million the Steelers owe him for the next two years, and isn't going to settle for once cent less out of the Rooneys. From what I gather, the Steelers can pay him about half of that, and fit it under the cap with no problem. I'm pretty sure a GM out there would call him a steal at 4 mill a year, and If I were a betting man, odds are, Harrison would walk for it in a heartbeat.

Keep in mind, this is the guy that literally went insane over a $10,000 fine. You think a guy like that is going to settle for a 50% paycut?? No way.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,358 Times in 2,068 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I wouldn't be shocked by anything at this point - I'm uber nervous about our depth at about 50% of our positions - total - both sides of the ball

ILB, OLB, Safety, Corner, D-line (pick a spot), RB, WR, TE . . . holy crap when you put it on paper

No one is evening mentioning what losing Heath for a portion of the season could do

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

whistling past the graveyard

losing what little young talent that's left on an 8-8 team shouldn't be cause for celebration

Colbert better have the draft of the century - and no more 3 year contracts!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,954 Times in 4,548 Posts

Bad ideology. Cut the guys that are underperforming and/or too old. Harrison, Polamalu, Keisel and Foote all fit this bill. Stop pushing money into further years and damaging our cap space worse down the road. Say goodbye to these guys.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Bad ideology. Cut the guys that are underperforming and/or too old. Harrison, Polamalu, Keisel and Foote all fit this bill. Stop pushing money into further years and damaging our cap space worse down the road. Say goodbye to these guys.
throw colon and clark in this group also.
people want to say 'we only lost 3 games by 3 or 4 points. we were injured"
well, we won 3-4 games by 3or 4 points also. we were an 8-8 team. bringing these same guys back at their current salary would maybe get us 10 wins next year, if we stay healthy. time to cut bait
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,733 Times in 902 Posts
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked by anything at this point - I'm uber nervous about our depth at about 50% of our positions - total - both sides of the ball

ILB, OLB, Safety, Corner, D-line (pick a spot), RB, WR, TE . . . holy crap when you put it on paper

No one is evening mentioning what losing Heath for a portion of the season could do
I'm totally with you.

We have so many needs. Which one's the most urgent?

Colbert has to hit this draft out of the park.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,726 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post

Nothing wrong with 3 or 4 year contracts, just not for $61 million dollars worth on a load.....

We are going to have some holes for sure.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Harrison feels he earned the twelve million the Steelers owe him for the next two years, and isn't going to settle for once cent less out of the Rooneys. From what I gather, the Steelers can pay him about half of that, and fit it under the cap with no problem. I'm pretty sure a GM out there would call him a steal at 4 mill a year, and If I were a betting man, odds are, Harrison would walk for it in a heartbeat.

Keep in mind, this is the guy that literally went insane over a $10,000 fine. You think a guy like that is going to settle for a 50% paycut?? No way.
4 million could also be way to much when a 35 year old linebacker with a bad back plays 7 games.

This is a what have you done lately for me league( salary cap). Harrison is now on the decline. Pay Cut or end your career in some town that does not give 2 shits about you.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,243 Times in 4,112 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
4 million could also be way to much when a 35 year old linebacker with a bad back plays 7 games.

This is a what have you done lately for me league( salary cap). Harrison is now on the decline. Pay Cut or end your career in some town that does not give 2 shits about you.
actually I find it interesting that we heard a while ago that Harrison was ok with restructuring, yet with all the news lately we haven't heard that the team was talking to him about restructuring