Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722
Default What will the 49ers do with all those draft picks?

15? I think thats what they have. Will they trade around half of them because no where near that many players can possibly make their roster?

So I hear they are looking at Darrelle Revis. They definitely will get him or somebody else good for some draft picks.

You would think the 49ers would want to move up in the draft and give 2 for 1 draft picks. Ive seen a lot of comments in these forums about the Steelers moving down in the draft to pick up extra picks. Makes sense to me.

Players like Matt Elam and Tavon Austin and Eddie Lacy who have been talked about in these forums might not go in the first round. Same with linebackers like Manti Teo and Alec Overtree. What if the Steelers trade their number 1 (#17) for the pick the 49ers got from the Chiefs, which is the 2nd pick in the 2nd round (#34)? And the Steelers get another pick, say in the 3rd round? This gives the 49ers another 1st pick to bargain with for somebody like Revis, and still have a 1st round pick for themselves.

One or two of those guys like Elam, Austin, Lacy, Teo, Overtree most likely will be available at pick #34 and one or two of them likely will be available for the Steelers current pick in the 2nd round.

Some team is going to do something like this with the 49ers.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,402 Times in 4,387 Posts
Default Re: What will the 49ers do with all those draft picks?

They can't get Darrelle Revis because this isn't Madden. How are they going to pay him?

As for their picks, they're going to be active in terms of trading up and down and picking up a few extra picks in 2014 while they're at it.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

The San Francisco 49ers have a need at cornerback and mountain of draft picks.

For those two reasons, it's perfectly logical they would make some sort of play for New York Jets star Darrelle Revis. That just might be the case.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports the 49ers are among a "handful of teams" that have discussed pursuing Revis, according to two sources. Cole adds that the 49ers will make a play even if Revis -- a free-agent-to-be in 2014 -- becomes a one-year rental.

Adding a healthy Revis to the 49ers' defense is enough to make Pete Carroll and the rest of the coaches in the NFC queasy. It also would be a boon to the burgeoning Revis-Richard Sherman rivalry.

The 49ers are well stocked to make the Jets a competitive offer. They already have 11 selections in April's draft and are expected to get the 34th overall pick when they complete their trade with the Kansas City Chiefs for Alex Smith. Three more compensatory picks will follow.

Debate: Alex Smith trade fallout
The Alex Smith trade has a domino effect that impacts many teams beyond just the Chiefs and 49ers. Our analysts weigh in. More ...
The 49ers' biggest issue to making a Revis a long-term solution in their secondary is salary cap space. As a short-term rental, he's a financial steal because of his $6 million salary (after bonuses.)

New Jets general manager John Idzik is known for his patient approach, and it's possible the team could carry Revis into the summer and beyond as they wait for the right package.

The Jets have only one chance to get this right. The 49ers are an intriguing partner, but the Jets will keep their options open.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,642 Times in 8,936 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Trade the 31st & 34th for Revis.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Just going to throw it out there for the sake of discussion. Note I don't support the idea cause I like Ike.

But say we resign Lewis, IMO Allen is ready to be a full time starter, soo you could trade ike for the 34 and probably one other pick say round 5.

Would leave us with a lot of options at 17, 34 then our own second(can't think of the number of the top of my head)
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,402 Times in 4,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Trade the 31st & 34th for Revis.
How are they going to pay him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
Just going to throw it out there for the sake of discussion. Note I don't support the idea cause I like Ike.

But say we resign Lewis, IMO Allen is ready to be a full time starter, soo you could trade ike for the 34 and probably one other pick say round 5.

Would leave us with a lot of options at 17, 34 then our own second(can't think of the number of the top of my head)

Also, I doubt they'd give anything that high for Ike as he's up there in years and can't bring down INTs. It'd have to be for someone like Cortez Allen and I wouldn't pull the trigger on that as he's the future of this team.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

I think theyre going to do a lot of damage with them. Look for some big time play makers to end up in SF. Don't be shocked if one of them is Justin Hunter or Hopkins.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
I think theyre going to do a lot of damage with them. Look for some big time play makers to end up in SF. Don't be shocked if one of them is Justin Hunter or Hopkins.
Wouldn't surprise me at all. I definitely think the 49ers are looking for a WR, either in the draft or a trade for picks.

Those two guys you mentioned, Justin Hunter and Deandre Hopkins, are usually mentioned in the top 5 for the draft. I'm guessing 2nd round most likely for both of them.

Just curious. Would you take those two guys before Tavon Austin?
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,826 Times in 3,702 Posts

Scott Pioli was on radio talking about 49ers picks and reflected how when with the Patriots, they took a 7th round pick and w/in 5 years they had converted it into a 3rd, by continually trading it for a higher round pick in the following years draft.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,430 Times in 2,639 Posts
My Mood: Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Scott Pioli was on radio talking about 49ers picks and reflected how when with the Patriots, they took a 7th round pick and w/in 5 years they had converted it into a 3rd, by continually trading it for a higher round pick in the following years draft.

Picks don't win games, players do. There's no offseason championship ring.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote