Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 212
Member Number: 15586
Thanks: 35
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Default Tavon Austin... Electric

This kid is the most exciting player I have ever seen in my life. I got to see him a lot watching West Virginia football, but most of the highlight videos I had seen didn't show how he can supremely cut and how much a threat he really is. This is the best one I have ever seen. The announcers even call him Houdini at one point. He is ankle-breaking and electrifying. Keep in mind this is just his senior year. Sometimes I still just watch him play and think how ridiculous he is... I mean seriously.



I remember watching the play live that happens at 6:30 and just thinking how the hell did he do that.

Anybody have twitter??? This kid trains with Tom Shaw down in Florida and I would love to see if someone could ask Ike what he thinks of the kid. I mean he has to see him in the building.


Last edited by Steel Glory; 03-03-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12,854
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 16,691
Thanked 17,711 Times in 7,490 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Steel Glory (03-04-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,135
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,129
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).
This is actually something we haven't talked at great length about - Austin at 17, what's your opinion?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,170
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 292
Thanked 579 Times in 321 Posts
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
This is actually something we haven't talked at great length about - Austin at 17, what's your opinion?
No. If we trade down, maybe.

But I agree that if I need to pick a WR in the first round, he would be my pick.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12,854
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 16,691
Thanked 17,711 Times in 7,490 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
This is actually something we haven't talked at great length about - Austin at 17, what's your opinion?
Short answer:
Yes.

Long answer:
I think that the kid is to the WR position what Darren Sproles is to the RB position. I foresee Tavon averaging 2100 all-purpose yards & 9 TDs per season.

I know that I have advocated for a tall WR to help in the red-zone, but with Tavon, one can hand it off (reverse) or throw a short pass (screen)... and then watch Tavon juke his way into the end-zone. Likewise, in the open field, he is dynamic.

Deductively thinking: while Elam (or Vaccaro) are more of a need, a really good (albeit not elite) safety can be found in R2 (or even R4). Whereas, there is only one Tavon... and, there hasn't been anyone like Tavon in a few years. If he were 5'11, he'd be a top-five pick (he's that good).

Simply, he has the speed of Wallace & the moves of Barry Sanders.

So, Yes, I'd take him.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 212
Member Number: 15586
Thanks: 35
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Short answer:
Yes.

Long answer:
I think that the kid is to the WR position what Darren Sproles is to the RB position. I foresee Tavon averaging 2100 all-purpose yards & 9 TDs per season.

I know that I have advocated for a tall WR to help in the red-zone, but with Tavon, one can hand it off (reverse) or throw a short pass (screen)... and then watch Tavon juke his way into the end-zone. Likewise, in the open field, he is dynamic.

Deductively thinking: while Elam (or Vaccaro) are more of a need, a really good (albeit not elite) safety can be found in R2 (or even R4). Whereas, there is only one Tavon... and, there hasn't been anyone like Tavon in a few years. If he were 5'11, he'd be a top-five pick (he's that good).

Simply, he has the speed of Wallace & the moves of Barry Sanders.

So, Yes, I'd take him.
Agree 100%. I would take him. Put him in the slot over Emanuel fumble Sanders. They can get a tall tight end later as a red zone target. WIth Tavon, red zone efficiency wouldn't really be a problem as he more often than not scores from outside the redzone. I was thinking the Steelers would make the playoffs and be in perfect position to take him around 24-32. But I'd still take him.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
PhantomJB93
Head Coach
 
PhantomJB93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 1,989
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13907
Thanks: 364
Thanked 874 Times in 435 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

Okay, you guys have finally convinced me to buy in on Austin. But if we did draft him, I'd only do so in the second round, I think 17 is way too early for him, considering I'm still skeptical about his size and his ability to play at the NFL level because of it. I won't deny he's the best runner with the ball in his hands I've seen in a while.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 212
Member Number: 15586
Thanks: 35
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Okay, you guys have finally convinced me to buy in on Austin. But if we did draft him, I'd only do so in the second round, I think 17 is way too early for him, considering I'm still skeptical about his size and his ability to play at the NFL level because of it. I won't deny he's the best runner with the ball in his hands I've seen in a while.
I would take him in the first. He's a little bit of Percy Harvin and a little bit of Desean Jackson. He's similar in size and stature to Jackson but he isn't a head case. He doesn't showboat and he's a much, much better runner. Jackson was taken in the 2nd round and Harvin was taken in the first. If Austin had a few inches like 5ft-11in and 10-15 lbs more he'd be a guaranteed top ten pick. He has said he models his game after Wes Welker who is 5'9 and 185 lbs if you didn't know... That is 2 inches and 5-10lbs on Austin, and Austin is much, much faster and game-breaking.

" Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them. "


Last edited by Steel Glory; 03-05-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect
 
tmacsteelerfan's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 129
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13572
Thanks: 14
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Glory View Post
Anybody have twitter??? This kid trains with Tom Shaw down in Florida and I would love to see if someone could ask Ike what he thinks of the kid. I mean he has to see him in the building.

Ike already put in a good word for him earlier in the off-season
tmacsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
bcs8484
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7
Member Number: 3228
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Tavon Austin... Electric

As much as I would like to have to have a taller reciever I wouldnt be mad for a second even if we took him at 17. He immenatly replaces wallace as are deep threat while possibly having a better upside. I would be far more comfortable taking tavon who has produced at a very high level then patterson who has the size and speed but only has one year of production. If jarvis jones and moore are gone at 17 I would love the pick to be austin.
bcs8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts