Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13572
Default Not sold on Tavon Austin?

Yes, I know we all want to see a tall outside WR in Pittsburgh next season and I really like Patterson, Hunter, & Allen, but what Tavon lacks in size he makes up for in his ability to play the game of football. This man is the definition of a FOOTBALL PLAYER! I see him as a faster Daunte Hall with the receiver potential of a Wes Welker

Don't believe me, just watch... Not just Oklahoma game highlights, these are his highlights from his entire senior season.
Note: No fast forward effects are use in this video

I take him if we trade back or if we stay at 17. Whatever Safety or OLB selections in the 1st we would take will not provide us with the "immediate" impact I guarantee Tavon gives us at the WR position.

WR/RB/RS.... For a team that needs all three positions, it be nice to kill three birds with one stone.

Those not sold yet, please think of how successful our "healthy" Ben was on 3rd down last season. Now think of that same Ben, in his 2nd season under Todd Haley, with Mr. Austin in the slot. I'D PREDICT NIGHTMARES FOR FUTURE OPPONENTS!

Final statement: We will forget all about Mike Wallace's big play ability 1 game into preseason.
tmacsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Re: Not sold on Tavon Austin?

I personally do not think the Steelers are looking at him and he would not solve our RB problem either like you mention. The kid is great no doubt, but we need size at the WR position, our guys are tiny as is.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I like this kid but I agree that he is more of the same for us...OLB or Safety would be my pick.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,142 Times in 5,960 Posts

I've posted this elsewhere, but it bears iteration... (especially because this thread is about him).

I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

I think that the kid is to the WR position what Darren Sproles is to the RB position. I foresee Tavon averaging 2100 all-purpose yards & 9 TDs per season.

I know that I have advocated for a tall WR to help in the red-zone, but with Tavon, one can hand it off (reverse) or throw a short pass (screen)... and then watch Tavon juke his way into the end-zone. Likewise, in the open field, he is dynamic. And, he is the PERFECT weapon for Haley's (high-percentage completion/quick throw) offense.

Deductively thinking: while Elam (or Vaccaro) are more of a need, a really good (albeit not elite) safety can be found in R2 (or even R4). Whereas, there is only one Tavon... and, there hasn't been anyone like Tavon in a few years. If he were 5'11, he'd be a top-five pick (he's that good).

Simply, he has the speed of Wallace & the moves of Barry Sanders.

So, Yes, I'd take him.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

First, I don't a safety is worth a 17th pick with how deep this draft is at the position, and I would love to see Dion Jordan or Ziggy Ansah's name called. I know both could groom into elite OLB's, but I'm thinking next season and this is my guy. Also OLB's very deep in this draft also.

Second, he wouldn't exactly "solve" our problems at RB, but he'd help significantly. If we bring back Dwyer next season it's obvious he can't carry the whole load. So I'd give Tavon the carries we were giving Rainey during the latter part of last season, except from day one a rookie. Haley should try to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. With that the Steelers could wait until the 5th pick to go with a back that could possibly carry the load like a Lattimore/Gillislee/ Barker/ or Stefphon Jackson on Day 3 who's really growing on me. Alfred Morris isn't the first late round running back to have success early, Shanahan has proved good RB's aren't tough to come by. Not saying they're easy to find or everybody would have one, but of the 16 RB's who rushed for over 1,000 yards last year 4 were taken in the 6th or later. Colbert hasn't shown us a very good eye for RB's thus far, but he has shown the ability to snag talent in late rounds. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

By the way, who says you need size at WR to win? Our 2009 team had Hines Ward 6'0, Santonio Holmes 5'11, Mike Wallace 6'0, and Limas Sweed who was tall but didn't contribute to that team.
Currently we have Antonio Brown 5'11, who I believe can be the caliber receiver Holmes was for us that season. Emmanual Sanders 5'11, who was mentored by Hines a smaller receiver who had success outside, didn't show last year but I have faith in Emmanual this season. Jerricho Cotchery 6'1, then of course we'd be adding 5'8 Austin in the slot. Remember we still have 6'5 Heath Miller and can still bring back Plaxico Burress if we feel we need that goal line security blanket. Zach Ertz in the 2nd could be our guy if we want to add a pass catcher with size.
A certain hated coach has already shown that 2 elite TE's paired with a good slot receiver is a deadly combination
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts

we need more SWEEEEED!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 1,324 Times in 636 Posts

Would not mind for us to draft him but if we trade back a few spot to draft him I would be even happier.

But if we could draft a bigger WR(Marquess Wilson, Da'Rick Rogers) & use Tavon as a rb & slot receiver it would make our offense very exciting.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacsteelerfan View Post
By the way, who says you need size at WR to win? Our 2009 team had Hines Ward 6'0, Santonio Holmes 5'11, Mike Wallace 6'0, and Limas Sweed who was tall but didn't contribute to that team.
Currently we have Antonio Brown 5'11, who I believe can be the caliber receiver Holmes was for us that season. Emmanual Sanders 5'11, who was mentored by Hines a smaller receiver who had success outside, didn't show last year but I have faith in Emmanual this season. Jerricho Cotchery 6'1, then of course we'd be adding 5'8 Austin in the slot. Remember we still have 6'5 Heath Miller and can still bring back Plaxico Burress if we feel we need that goal line security blanket. Zach Ertz in the 2nd could be our guy if we want to add a pass catcher with size.
A certain hated coach has already shown that 2 elite TE's paired with a good slot receiver is a deadly combination
Steelers have 3 Super Bowl MVPs who were under 6 feet. Size is overrated unless you are talking about large schlongs.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
Bane
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 1,933 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
we need more SWEEEEED!
As long as we get this Sweed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVKwkS7XncM