Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,662 Times in 10,408 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Not sold on Tavon Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Wasnt Chris Rainey supposed to be a big deal in Haley's offense?
Tavon Austin is more like Percy Harvin (than Chris Rainey).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,200 Posts

Chris Rainey doesn't have one tenth the talent, but using Austin for what we were hoping to get out of Rainey does have some appeal.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13572

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
I'm not saying is isn't a play maker, but you got to admit, he's not going to making those cuts at Heinz with the turf we have.
I agree with you that Heinz Field doesn't benefit cutters, and on that note the Steelers should look at that RGIII injury and consider making the change to turf like I think they're going to do with FedEx Field. However, I don't think that playing on real grass is a good excuse not to select him. Sure we'll have the 2 or 3 games where the field is just a complete wreck, but he'll also get to tear up that pretty green turf at Baltimore once a season if you view the glass half full.
tmacsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,027 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Wasnt Chris Rainey supposed to be a big deal in Haley's offense?
That is one of my biggest gripes and disappointments from last season.

I thought Haley would design plays to get him into open space and isolate him on a LB.
Plays designed to utilize his speed in the open field. But it never happened.
I seem to remember more plays where Rainey ran inside between the tackles.

Didn't make any sense.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #25
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Chris Rainey doesn't have one tenth the talent, but using Austin for what we were hoping to get out of Rainey does have some appeal.
Exactly! Rainey fell to us in the 5th round, Austin is two inches shy of being a top 10 pick. Percy Harvin is a good comparison, although Harvin has more size, Austin is definitely shiftier, the man would toy with college defenders because he knew they couldn't touch him. He's the only WR I've ever had on a team of mine that I don't mind if he gains the first down and then back tracks behind it to try and gain extra YAC, because he never fails when it comes to making the D look silly.

Think of it this way. Almost everybody on this site, including me, loves Kenny Vaccarro. What does everybody note about Vaccarro last season? His ability to "contain" Austin.... Austin still had 102 yards that game, which aren't normal Tavon numbers, but he also returned a kick 67 yards that game to make up for it! The man made a difference in every game, even in ugly performances from the rest of Mountaineer team.

From day one he'll be our best PR we've ever had in my lifetime. I know Antonio got his Pro-Bowl appearance for his returning abilities that season, but he never gave me that feeling as a fan on punting downs for the Steelers, quite like Tavon does to fans at WVU. Everybody in the stadium knows that your taking a chance punting it to Austin, never had that feeling with Will Blackwell, Troy Edwards, Antwaan Randle El, Santonio Holmes, Stephan Logan, Antonio Brown, Chris Rainey. You wouldn't punt the ball 30 yards out of bounds because those guys are back there. With this guy, it may be your best option.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #26
VaDave
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacsteelerfan View Post
I agree with you that Heinz Field doesn't benefit cutters, and on that note the Steelers should look at that RGIII injury and consider making the change to turf like I think they're going to do with FedEx Field. However, I don't think that playing on real grass is a good excuse not to select him. Sure we'll have the 2 or 3 games where the field is just a complete wreck, but he'll also get to tear up that pretty green turf at Baltimore once a season if you view the glass half full.
That's 10 games a year including Cleveland on grass. Although I can't say that he'd be ineffective on grass, having not seen him play on anything other than turf, but I've not seen many cut back runners have much success at Heinz.

At this point I don't think one should discount playing on grass limiting his most important attribute, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #27
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
That is one of my biggest gripes and disappointments from last season.

I thought Haley would design plays to get him into open space and isolate him on a LB.
Plays designed to utilize his speed in the open field. But it never happened.
I seem to remember more plays where Rainey ran inside between the tackles.

Didn't make any sense.
No sense at all. Especially since Haley had success with guys like Jamal Charles and Dexter Mccluster in terms of getting them the ball in space.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
VaDave
Team Owner

Quote:
Exactly! Rainey fell to us in the 5th round, Austin is two inches shy of being a top 10 pick. Percy Harvin is a good comparison, although Harvin has more size, Austin is definitely shiftier, the man would toy with college defenders because he knew they couldn't touch him. He's the only WR I've ever had on a team of mine that I don't mind if he gains the first down and then back tracks behind it to try and gain extra YAC, because he never fails when it comes to making the D look silly.

Think of it this way. Almost everybody on this site, including me, loves Kenny Vaccarro. What does everybody note about Vaccarro last season? His ability to "contain" Austin.... Austin still had 102 yards that game, which aren't normal Tavon numbers, but he also returned a kick 67 yards that game to make up for it! The man made a difference in every game, even in ugly performances from the rest of Mountaineer team.

From day one he'll be our best PR we've ever had in my lifetime. I know Antonio got his Pro-Bowl appearance for his returning abilities that season, but he never gave me that feeling as a fan on punting downs for the Steelers, quite like Tavon does to fans at WVU. Everybody in the stadium knows that your taking a chance punting it to Austin, never had that feeling with Will Blackwell, Troy Edwards, Antwaan Randle El, Santonio Holmes, Stephan Logan, Antonio Brown, Chris Rainey. You wouldn't punt the ball 30 yards out of bounds because those guys are back there. With this guy, it may be your best option.
TMAC,

I honestly think Austin could be a mega star in the NFL, but in my 50 years of following Steeler football, I can't ever remember us drafting a kid with this much flash..... That said, I won't be tearing up my Steeler Fan club card if we do draft him.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
VaDave
Team Owner

Quote:
No sense at all. Especially since Haley had success with guys like Jamal Charles and Dexter Mccluster in terms of getting them the ball in space.
I'm not so sure Rainey was a great open field runner. Speed yes, quick moves, not so much. To be used like Charles and McCluster, he needed to be able to cut quick, and accelerate to clear to open spaces. Rainey's cuts were too rounded and easy to read. Plus, he had a tough time catching the ball in space.

I find it doubtful this pic would have happened if it weren't for the Pouncey family weighing in, and got the feeling Haley wasn't too impressed with him.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:

I take him if we trade back or if we stay at 17. Whatever Safety or OLB selections in the 1st we would take will not provide us with the "immediate" impact I guarantee Tavon gives us at the WR position.
I agree with most of what you have said about Tavon Austin, and with others like teegre who are also rather fond of him. If the Steelers take a WR with their #1 pick it should be him not somebody else.

The top priority of the Steelers in the draft should be playmakers. RB can be found in later rounds. So it's receivers that should be on the Steelers hit list at the top of the draft. That includes TE. I noticed you didn't have a TE in your mock draft. My worst nightmare for the Steelers to start next season would be David Paulson at tight end, like that last game against Cleveland. He totally sucked.

My preference for the Steelers first pick would be Tyler Eifert. He could spell Heath until he gets back. When Heath is back, more two tight end sets could be run. Eifert could also be split out like a WR like the Patriots do.

If the Steelers did go Austin as #1, they should get a TE like Escobar, Kelce, or McDonald at #3 or #4. Although I'm not convinced that anybody but Eifert or Ertz can step in from day one and be anything close to Heath.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote