Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,999 Times in 3,040 Posts
Default Steelers expecting to lose 3 starters quickly when free agency begins

Steelers expecting to lose three starters quickly when free agency begins

by Gerry Dulac

Free agency begins at 4:01 p.m. tomorrow and the Steelers are all but expecting to lose at least three starters when it does WR Mike Wallace, CB Keenan Lewis and RB Rashard Mendenhall.

Wallace is one of the top unrestricted free agents on the market and could be signed by another team shortly after the free-agency period begins. The Miami Dolphins and Minnesota Vikings are among the teams who would be interested in Wallace, maybe the top deep threat in the NFL.

Lewis is among the top cornerbacks on the market and could be pursued by division-rival Cleveland, which is looking for a corner to pair with Joe Haden. The Browns have the most salary-cap room of any NFL team, approximately $46 million.

The Steelers are willing to part with Lewis because they really like Cortez Allen and think he is ready to be a starter. Its the main reason they brought back William Gay last week to be their nickel back. Gay signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract.

The Arizona Cardinals and Denver Broncos are interested in Mendenhall, who fell into disfavor with Coach Mike Tomlin last season and was suspended for one game for failing to show up for a game when he was inactive.

With Wallace and Lewis, the Steelers are expecting them to receive offers well beyond what they would be willing to afford.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Re: Steelers expecting to lose 3 starters quickly when free agency begins

I really do not want to see Lewis go....not good.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,137 Times in 3,046 Posts
Default Re: Steelers expecting to lose 3 starters quickly when free agency begins

No, I had been thinking they would invest in him, but with the Gay signing it seems like they are preparing for him to leave
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,297 Times in 3,160 Posts

I'm fine with Mikey and Fumbley leaving, but Keenan leaving might be a little bit worrisome. I trust the front office, though.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,421 Posts

Out of everyone leaving, things just plain old hurt my wittle feelings in this order:

Harrison, Lewis, Starks (still possible to keep but I'm having my doubts)

Everyone else can take a hike

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,340 Times in 669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
No, I had been thinking they would invest in him, but with the Gay signing it seems like they are preparing for him to leave
I agree, but with Ike Taylor being 33yrs old this spring and having salary of $6mil and $7mil the next 2 years....I'd rather see them restructure Ike's deal with the long term plan of him maybe jumping to FS and keeping Lewis.

Imagine in 2 seasons seeing Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis at CB, while Ike Taylor pairs at safety with Vacarro or Matt Elam. Its a bit of a stretch, but not that far fetched.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,137 Times in 3,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I agree, but with Ike Taylor being 33yrs old this spring and having salary of $6mil and $7mil the next 2 years....I'd rather see them restructure Ike's deal with the long term plan of him maybe jumping to FS and keeping Lewis.

Imagine in 2 seasons seeing Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis at CB, while Ike Taylor pairs at safety with Vacarro or Matt Elam. Its a bit of a stretch, but not that far fetched.
sounds like a great idea, and Ike's in really great shape, and other than the fractured ankle this season has been mr. dependable. There's no reason to think he won't be around for some years to come
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

taylor is probably the best tackling CB in the league. do you think he can lay the wood like clark and polamalu do on a consistant basis?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Why is everyone worried about f'n Keenan Lewis. He had 1 good year. He rotted on the bench for 3 years of his contract.

I would not pay that guy big money.

Wallace deserved it but we gave it to Brown...who also had 1 good year. Mistake.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Why is everyone worried about f'n Keenan Lewis. He had 1 good year. He rotted on the bench for 3 years of his contract.

I would not pay that guy big money.

Wallace deserved it but we gave it to Brown...who also had 1 good year. Mistake.
everybody knows the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league.

keenan lewis earned his money last year.

mike wallace did not. he thumbed his nose at what the steelers offered. then he shat the bed.

end of story.