Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default SI NFL Front Office Rankings

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...front-offices/

The Steelers come in at No. 9:

Quote:
9. Pittsburgh

As rules go, this one is easy to follow: Any franchise that has not endured consecutive playoff-less seasons since 1999-2000 deserves automatic inclusion among the top 12 best front office operations in the league. That's the neighborhood the Steelers have lived in the dozen years from 2001-2012 -- with five AFC title game trips and three Super Bowl berths in that span -- and that's why they start every season as a threat to win it all. Good coaching and a consistent approach by GM Kevin Colbert to the franchise's personnel philosophy are the hallmarks of the Steelers.

That said, the switch from Bruce Arians to Todd Haley at offensive coordinator didn't exactly pan out in 2012, and Pittsburgh seems to annually have salary cap issues that require contract restructuring and the eventual loss of some talented players. This year's expected departure of receiver Mike Wallace and the cap release of outside linebacker James Harrison are just two of the latest examples. Some within the league believe this will eventually catch up to Pittsburgh, and that a serious downturn is nearly inevitable. You can't re-do deals forever. Eventually the piper must be paid. Age and a salary squeeze might be closing in on the Steelers.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
jacobo
Team Captain
 
jacobo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 980
Member Number: 24766
Thanks: 678
Thanked 585 Times in 298 Posts
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

Sounds just about right.
jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
GMU Steeler
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,997
Member Number: 16173
Thanks: 45
Thanked 854 Times in 456 Posts
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

I'm not going to argue we're number one but it's silly to question the Arians to Haley move on one season especially a season where the team's starting QB got hurt. And we're not losing Wallace due to the cap. We're losing Wallace because Wallace wants considerably more money than he's worth.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMU Steeler For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
I'm not going to argue we're number one but it's silly to question the Arians to Haley move on one season especially a season where the team's starting QB got hurt. And we're not losing Wallace due to the cap. We're losing Wallace because Wallace wants considerably more money than he's worth.
But the point remains the Steelers are putting themselves in salary cap hell for the future. They try to squeeze one more year out of veterans instead of knowing when it's time to say goodbye.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
GMU Steeler
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,997
Member Number: 16173
Thanks: 45
Thanked 854 Times in 456 Posts
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
But the point remains the Steelers are putting themselves in salary cap hell for the future. They try to squeeze one more year out of veterans instead of knowing when it's time to say goodbye.
True that. DIdn't mean to imply Banks' point was without any merit but the reason we're not keeping him(Wallace) is more about his demands than anything.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,556
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,609
Thanked 10,007 Times in 4,256 Posts
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

Grain of salt - it had Baltimore at number one. The same front office that paid an average Quarterback 120 million dollars. The same front office that, because of such a ludicrously stupid move, they're forced to let their top tier guys go and have to now rebuild.

Grain of salt.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,837
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 677
Thanked 5,209 Times in 2,563 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
But the point remains the Steelers are putting themselves in salary cap hell for the future. They try to squeeze one more year out of veterans instead of knowing when it's time to say goodbye.

Might as well while there's a QB. Once Ben is gone we take our medicine.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Bane
Head Coach
 
Bane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,811
Member Number: 24775
Thanks: 2,352
Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,243 Posts
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Grain of salt - it had Baltimore at number one. The same front office that paid an average Quarterback 120 million dollars. The same front office that, because of such a ludicrously stupid move, they're forced to let their top tier guys go and have to now rebuild.

Grain of salt.
Honestly, I can't disagree with Baltimore being at number high (whether they're number one or not, I'm not so sure). Despite Flacco's contract, Ozzy has been nothing short of amazing at drafting, signing free agents, and keeping strong talent on board all while fielding a perennial winner.

Besides, Flacco's cap number (this year, at least) isn't ridiculously high (roughly $6.75M, if I remember correctly?), and from what I've read, was designed as a three year contract that is supposed to be re-done after the third. I have no clue why they would tack those extra three on, however.

What I disagree with more, however, is San Francisco being so high, and the Steelers being as low as they have. San Fran had been awful for a long time, and have only become relevant in the past couple of years. Meanwhile, the Steelers have remained strong, only having one losing season and two .500 seasons, while racking up two Super Bowl victories and a third appearance since Kevin Colbert became G.M.

So, yeah. Give us number one!
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Honestly, I can't disagree with Baltimore being at number high (whether they're number one or not, I'm not so sure). Despite Flacco's contract, Ozzy has been nothing short of amazing at drafting, signing free agents, and keeping strong talent on board all while fielding a perennial winner.

Besides, Flacco's cap number (this year, at least) isn't ridiculously high (roughly $6.75M, if I remember correctly?), and from what I've read, was designed as a three year contract that is supposed to be re-done after the third. I have no clue why they would tack those extra three on, however.

What I disagree with more, however, is San Francisco being so high, and the Steelers being as low as they have. San Fran had been awful for a long time, and have only become relevant in the past couple of years. Meanwhile, the Steelers have remained strong, only having one losing season and two .500 seasons, while racking up two Super Bowl victories and a third appearance since Kevin Colbert became G.M.

So, yeah. Give us number one!
Read the second paragraph of the SI ranking. They were right to drop the Steelers because of those issues.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 4,460
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 103
Thanked 244 Times in 167 Posts
Default Re: SI NFL Front Office Rankings

it's hurts when you see a bitter rival be recognized on a higher level. But the fact is - for the last couple of years - its the truth.
Our FO, while still shrewd and smart, has made some bonehead moves, overpayments, and mistakes over the last couple of years. I'm hoping they start to rectify those things. I honestly don't believe we're higher than a "number 9" right now. Hard to disagree w/the article.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts