Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Dogtown
Water Boy

Member Number: 24839
Default No deals for Steelers after free-agent visits

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted a small group of visiting free agents Friday, but all left without a contract. Sounds like a theme in the AFC North today.

According to Gerry Dulac of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, running back Beanie Wells, outside linebacker Victor Butler and tight end Kellen Davis all finished their visits without any contract talks with the Steelers. But that doesn't rule out the possibility of negotiations later.

Each would address a void for the Steelers. Pittsburgh is seeking a featured running back after Rashard Mendenhall signed with Arizona, an outside linebacker to replace recently released James Harrison, and a tight end to fill in while Heath Miller recovers from knee surgery.

In other news, offensive lineman Willie Colon signed a one-year, $1.2 million deal with the Jets just two days after being released by Pittsburgh. The Steelers didn't want to pay Colon's $5.5 salary this year because of injury concerns, and they were right to cut the offensive lineman. Colon is expected to start at guard for New York, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...e-agent-visits
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogtown For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: No deals for Steelers after free-agent visits

Of course we didn't. We don't have any money which surprises me since we have no probowl players making a ton other then Ben
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Of course we didn't. We don't have any money which surprises me since we have no probowl players making a ton other then Ben
Actually we have Heath Miller for nearly $8 million, Brett Keisel for $4.5 million, Lamarr Woodley for over $9 million, Ike Taylor for nearly $9.5 million, Troy Polamalu for over $10 million, and Ryan Clark for $4.7 million. Total of over $45 million in those guys alone.

With those hits and the dead money for Colon and Harris, it's no wonder we are in cap hell.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I understand that, I'm saying pro bowlers. There the ones who are supposed to make that much. I'm not talking about past pro bowls.
I would of cut Taylor. That's to much. Lewis could of made less and done the same plus have more years
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
Actually we have Heath Miller for nearly $8 million, Brett Keisel for $4.5 million, Lamarr Woodley for over $9 million, Ike Taylor for nearly $9.5 million, Troy Polamalu for over $10 million, and Ryan Clark for $4.7 million. Total of over $45 million in those guys alone.

With those hits and the dead money for Colon and Harris, it's no wonder we are in cap hell.
and yet people wanted to give 10+ to wallace too......
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I understand that, I'm saying pro bowlers. There the ones who are supposed to make that much. I'm not talking about past pro bowls.
I would of cut Taylor. That's to much. Lewis could of made less and done the same plus have more years
We would be in a world of hurt without Ike Taylor. He has been as consistent as any player on this team over the last 5 or 6 years.

He rarely gets the credit he deserves!
CrickRat23 (03-17-2013), harrison'samonster (03-15-2013), tony hipchest (03-17-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,030 Times in 3,730 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Taylor doesn't get the credit he deserves. He stays healthy and keeps the other teams #1 WR's from having huge games most of the time.

Woodley seriously underperformed this year and Polamalu's been hurt a lot. If those two play up to their abilities we would have been much better off this past season
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I honestly don't understand bringing these guys in then. I know they may want more money than we want to pay or we may want them to see other teams in hopes that they find they aren't worth what they want but man, do we speak to their agents prior to coming???
austinfrench76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,199 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I honestly don't understand bringing these guys in then. I know they may want more money than we want to pay or we may want them to see other teams in hopes that they find they aren't worth what they want but man, do we speak to their agents prior to coming???
its called a job interview...

i mean if you are applying for a job at mcdonalds for $7.25/ hour and burger king for $7.30, dont you atleast wanna visit the restraunt and taste a burger before you make up your mind?

its all part of the process.