Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers taking unfair hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
What a bunch of crap. The Patriots have had winning season after winning season, haven't they? Then according to the twisted logic of this post they oughta be in salary cap hell also. Shouldn't they? But they're not. How is that possible?

Because they sign a LOT of low cost players, run a very hybrid defense that basically allows them to use players out of virtualy any alignment and run an offense based on the talent on their roster not build their roster based on the offense they want to run.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,313 Times in 4,514 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Steelone,

Stats can be misleading. Just ask any statistician.

Please replay the KC game from last year, and focus on Hood, then let us know how well he plays. Trust me, it's a real eye opener in case you've not noticed before. 1st play from scrimmage, He not only gets knocked back 7 yards off the LOS, he was also pushed to the numbers on a one on on block. If you want an even better example, check out the season opener against Baltimore in 2011.
I don't know VaDave. I rewatched the KC game. Hood has a bad 1st half but he really steps up in the second. In particular when we're protecting a the 3 pt. lead. Hood takes on double teams, gets penetration into the backfield, gets his hands up into throwing lanes. He plays a key part in several series ending plays, including the Timmons' pick in overtime, Hood's hands in the throwing lane might have helped lead to the bad pass.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I don't know VaDave. I rewatched the KC game. Hood has a bad 1st half but he really steps up in the second. In particular when we're protecting a the 3 pt. lead. Hood takes on double teams, gets penetration into the backfield, gets his hands up into throwing lanes. He plays a key part in several series ending plays, including the Timmons' pick in overtime, Hood's hands in the throwing lane might have helped lead to the bad pass.
Slightly off-topic, but how sad is it that we're reduced to reviewing the great second half effort that enabled us to pull out a squeaker ... against ... KC.

Man, we were so, so close to 6-10 last year. Because the substandard was the standard in 2012.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Wow, this was a really silly article by Joe Starkey. A really stupid article. The first 10-15 paragraphs (do single sentences count as paragraphs?) set up a classic strawman argument, wherein "revisionists" criticize the Steelers' use of finance, and their "credit card mentality." Beating a dead horse that never lived.

But once the silliness runs its course, Starkey deigns to present us with the mysterious true problem - the failures in talent acquisition via the the draft (and/or free agency).

Duhhhhh. Thanks Joe, Captain Obvious. Did you know that eggs are cheaper by the dozen vs. individually?

Must have been a slow day in front of the computer. "What can I write about? Dammit, I haven't got a clue. What if everybody figures that out? Man I gotta get this article out."

This article is seriously embarrassing. The temptation is to go through it line by line, ripping it apart, but it would be sickening. Or, as Starkey would say:

How moronic.

How incredibly obtuse.

How simplistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Starkey: Steelers taking unfair hits

By Joe Starkey
Published: Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fiscal negligence? Is that what the Steelers are being accused of?

How ridiculous.

How incredibly unfair.

Contrary to what the new order of revisionist Steeler historians are telling you, this franchise has deftly navigated the salary cap over the past decade. Its decision-makers brilliantly have combined a win-now philosophy with a willingness to part with still-productive players.

Why did they keep the core largely intact?

Because it was winning, silly!

The Steelers were in the Super Bowl three years ago. They were a botched series (home Baltimore game) away from a first-round bye in 2011. They were thick in the race last winter when a preposterous spate of injuries sabotaged their season. They haven't had a losing season since 2003.

And it's not like they've avoided tough financial decisions, parting with the likes of Joey Porter, Alan Faneca, Chris Hope, Plaxico Burress and now James Harrison.

In cases where prospective free agents were unwilling to accept less than what they could get on the open market, the Steelers simply said goodbye. Mike Wallace is a good example. He was going to chase every penny. I don't blame him, but the Steelers weren't going to play that game with a receiver.

They were going to have to make a decision between Wallace and Antonio Brown at some point — just as they did between Burress and Hines Ward — and chose Brown when it became clear Wallace was going for the gold.

The revisionists' most popular complaint is that the Steelers have been operating with too much of a credit card mentality, pushing debt into the future by way of restructured contracts instead of paying as they went along.

I hear it all the time …

“That's why they're up against the cap!” (as if that isn't the case most years).

“That's why they can't sign any big free agents!” (as if they ever do).

“That's why they can't sign some of their own best players!” (see above: it's happened before).

Listen to these people long enough, and you'd think Howard Baldwin was running the Steelers.

So tell me, revisionists, which contract should the Steelers not have signed? Whose deal should they not have restructured? Who should they have parted with earlier? Which difficult decision did they avoid and thus mortgage their future?

Willie Colon's $29 million deal might look terrible now, but how could anyone have predicted his body would fall apart?

What makes this offseason unusual is the departure of players in their mid-20s — and I believe the Steelers should have made an effort to sign cornerback Keenan Lewis. I'm not sure why they didn't. But it's not like some previous decision cost them a chance. They clearly could have afforded Lewis if they had so desired.

As for restructuring contracts, the Steelers have been incredibly selective. They have almost exclusively selected younger players who figure to be around, not players who will continue to eat cap space long after they're gone.

The issue isn't cap management. It's player procurement. If the Steelers have opened themselves to criticism, it's in the draft room, not the boardroom.

The way this franchise does business, it must hit consistently in the draft. It is supposed to have people ready to replace its departed. That has been the blueprint all along, but you look now and wonder who's next at various positions.

Willie Parker begat Rashard Mendenhall. Who replaces Mendenhall, who didn't make it to a second contract?

Joey Porter begat James Harrison (a lucky find as an undrafted free agent). Who replaces Harrison? The jury is very much out on Jason Worilds.

Santonio Holmes begat Wallace. Who replaces Wallace?

Aaron Smith led to Ziggy Hood, just as Brett Keisel will lead to Cam Heyward. Can Hood and Heyward make good as first-round picks?

Next season is very much a referendum on the drafting work of Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin. It's time for recent draft picks to show themselves. We'll see if David DeCastro, Mike Adams, Marcus Gilbert, Worilds, Hood, Heyward, Cortez Allen and others pass the test.

The Steelers' recent drafting prowess is absolutely up for debate. Their fiscal intelligence is not.

Every fan base in sports wants to win now. For the Steelers, “now” has lasted the better part of 12 years.

Consider yourselves lucky.

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstori...#ixzz2NoHrjOM0

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.

Last edited by TheVet; 03-18-2013 at 11:23 PM.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #15
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I don't know if unfair is the right word. maybe harsh is a better way to say it.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
What a bunch of crap. The Patriots have had winning season after winning season, haven't they? Then according to the twisted logic of this post they oughta be in salary cap hell also. Shouldn't they? But they're not. How is that possible?
We've won 2 Super Bowls since the patriots have won it all. So why are you bringing those cheaters up?
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,953 Times in 4,536 Posts

we are in the same cap situation we are in every year. the only reason the fans notice and are in such an uproar is because we had our worst record in 10 years, which just so happens to be a dismal 8-8.

i pay no attention to the knee jerk fans. if we went 11-5 last year (which we easilly couldve w/ a healthy team - a few dumb fumbles) everyone would be applauding these moves.

by my count ben lost the dallas and cinci game w/ 2 ints. everybody lost the cleveland game and everybody who fumbled lost the raiders game. pretty much all those accountable are still w/ the team.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,076 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
we are in the same cap situation we are in every year. the only reason the fans notice and are in such an uproar is because we had our worst record in 10 years, which just so happens to be a dismal 8-8.

i pay no attention to the knee jerk fans. if we went 11-5 last year (which we easilly couldve w/ a healthy team - a few dumb fumbles) everyone would be applauding these moves.

by my count ben lost the dallas and cinci game w/ 2 ints. everybody lost the cleveland game and everybody who fumbled lost the raiders game. pretty much all those accountable are still w/ the team.
Ben also threw a pick six in Denver with a chance to win the game. The defense lost the titans game, the nonexistant offense and special teams coverage lost the ravens game, and everyone lost the San Diego debacle. Also, I would blame the offense for the cleveland game. The defense played about as well as they could have when the offense turned it over 8 times, most of which occurred deep in Steelers territory.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #19
OliverPoop
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24550

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
We've won 2 Super Bowls since the patriots have won it all. So why are you bringing those cheaters up?
You're right. Sure the Pats appeared in 2 SB's (losing by a field goal) after the Steelers last SB win and had a perfect season to boot but their front office has no clue.

8-)
OliverPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,268 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Because they sign a LOT of low cost players, run a very hybrid defense that basically allows them to use players out of virtualy any alignment and run an offense based on the talent on their roster not build their roster based on the offense they want to run.
That and Tom Brady. Well, I would have just said Tom Brady.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote