Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,428 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Tomlin: The standard is the standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
hes better then any ilb we have.
Better than Timmons? Um NO....Foote? yes
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-19-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #32
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,653 Times in 6,006 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Tomlin says Steelers are ‘team in transition’

By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, March 19, 2013

PHOENIX — James Harrison, Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Rashard Mendenhall, Willie Colon, Hines Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith departed the Steelers in the last 13 months — a huge chunk of their multiple Super Bowl teams gone.

To coach Mike Tomlin, those departures mean the Steelers are in transition, changing from one configuration to another.

Even if general manager Kevin Colbert said recently they weren't.

During the AFC coaches media gathering Tuesday at the annual NFL meetings, Tomlin said, “We're a team in transition as we always are. Players are ascending, players are descending. We're acquiring players and losing players. I think that's part of this time of year. ... Change is a part of football.”

Both Tomlin and Colbert agree they're not altering expectations. Asked about all the talk that the Steelers are on the decline following an 8-8 season, Tomlin said with a bit of defiance, “That's March talk. See you at stadiums in the fall.”

But during some February talk at the NFL Scouting Combine, Colbert took umbrage at characterizing the Steelers as being in transition, saying that suggests they would settle for less-than-championship play while they alter their cast of characters.

“I don't want to say transition because that means that you're going to accept anything less than a Super Bowl in trying to get back,” Colbert said.

No matter what word characterizes the state of the team, Tomlin knows what the 2013 Steelers must do differently from their 8-8 season: win close games.

“Because we weren't good enough. I don't hide from that. I embrace that,” Tomlin said when asked about the Steelers' five losses by 3 points. “Good teams win close games. Teams that aren't lose those games. Obviously, we did a year ago. Our goal and our charge moving forward is to be on the other side of that.”

A productive, content Ben Roethlisberger and a healthy, contributing Troy Polamalu could help achieve that.

Tomlin doesn't believe Roethlisberger returned prematurely from the shoulder and chest injuries that put him out for three midseason games and appeared to limit the quality and velocity of his throwing the rest of the season. But Tomlin acknowledged the quarterback's play wasn't what the Steelers needed as they lost three in a row to fall out of playoff contention after Roethlisberger returned.

“I think in the moment he was ready and prepared to play. We just didn't get what we were looking for,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin got what he was looking for early on during Todd Haley's first season as offensive coordinator but not late in the season as the running game disappeared and Roethlisberger didn't play up to his usual level. As a result, the head coach is looking for offensive improvement all around in Year 2, especially after the Steelers add the running back he is pushing for — and hard.

“I think that being familiar and continuing to gain understanding is what's going to make us successful not only offensively but as a team,” Tomlin said of the Haley-Roethlisberger relationship. “I think that process is unfolding. Both guys are geared towards winning, and they're unselfish from that standpoint. I'm excited about watching it continue to grow.”

As for Polamalu, who missed much of last season with a torn calf, Tomlin gave a brief but telling answer when asked if the star safety should alter his offseason workout regimen.

“I want him to be ready. I think he wants to be ready like everyone,” Tomlin said. “I am not going to make more out of that than what it is.”

Especially when he has a team that's in transition. Or isn't.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2O2zUEJHk
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #33
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,279 Times in 646 Posts

When I listen or read Tomlin quotes, am I the only one that has to go to the bathroom immediately after? Or am I being obtuse?
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #34
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
When I listen or read Tomlin quotes, am I the only one that has to go to the bathroom immediately after? Or am I being obtuse?
As long as you embrace it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #35
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,653 Times in 6,006 Posts
My Mood: Happy

The Steelers’ Standard: Is there a contradiction?

By PaVaSteeler on Apr 14 2013

Is there a contradiction between how Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney and his head coach Mike Tomlin view The Standard, and if so does that portend a deeper division within the Steelers organization?

As with anything in life, the meaning of a phrase such as Steelers HC Mike Tomlin's "The Standard is the Standard" is a matter of perspective.

While not as unique as his other phrases which have become known as Tomlinisms, the mantra oft repeated by the six year head coach on its surface appears to mirror similar words of other coaches past and present who speak of "the next man up". However, given Tomlin's unique ability to turn a phrase, The Standard has become more than a run-of-the-mill team's saying, especially in light of the legacy of consistency and excellence the Steelers have created since 1970. Steeler Nation generally accepts Tomlin's version to mean the same thing as "...in case of injury to the starter, the Steelers expect the next player in line to uphold the standard of play as a replacement."

Steelers' Chairman Dan Rooney's was recently quoted by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazettte's Ed Bouchette in reference to Tomlin's mantra as stating:

"Coaches will say, 'We have to play with what we have and guys are supposed to step in.' You can't say that you're trying to build up a young guy in his first or second year and get him to be able to play; you can't say that if you get your first-line guy hurt that you're going to put one of these guys in here and they'll play the same."

Who is right, Chairman Rooney or Mike Tomlin?

In the most recent publication of his outstanding "5 Burning Questions" series, Hombre de Acero posed the question of who is right between these two men and their seemingly contradictory perceptions.

Chairman Rooney's take on the mantra and his explicitly worded answer on what can be expected from young second string players appears to contradict the commonly held understanding of what Tomlin means by The Standard, and as such appears to call into question whether Tomlin's expectations towards the caliber of play of the younger backup players are realistic. If so, such a divergence could suggest that a deeper philosophical difference exists between the owners and the coaching staff regarding the fundamental approach the two groups hold towards building and maintaining a playoff caliber team.

When Mike Tomlin utters the words "the Standard is the Standard" in response to questions asked about injuries to specific starters and his expectations of the second stringers he will have replacing them, is Tomlin really implying that he expects the replacement to play at the same level as those they replace, as apparently contradicted by Chairman Rooneys statement?

Or could it be that Tomlin, in a rhetorical equivalent to aikido, is controlling the thrust of the reporter's question by turning its focus on the individual aside in a tacit acknowledgement that the Steelers are going to suffer a downgrade in performance with that particular player, and in a counter thrust is using the force of such a question to instead to deliver a message to the rest of the starters who are playing that it is incumbent upon them (and not the replacement player) to step up their game in order for the overall team's expected standard caliber of play not to suffer from the absence of the injured player?

Implicit in this supposition is The Standard's Schrödinger Cat - like state of existence in which it is both Tomlin's expectation of a continuance of excellence regardless of the presence of second stringers replacing starters as well as the Chairman's expectation that replacement players are not expected to be as good as the starters. In other words, The Standard means the Steelers (as a team) are expected to uphold the standard of winning no matter which Steeler players are on the field.

This perception of The Standard does not imply that the replacement players are expected to be just as good as the starter, but rather the Steelers in a collective effort by the remaining 52 players must come together and overcome the added burden imposed by an injured comrade in order for the standard level of performance expected of the team as a whole is maintained.

Even while acknowledging the eventual Super Bowl winning Baltimore Ravens were at their nadir when the two teams played their second game of the 2012 season, the fact that the Steelers were able to defeat the Ravens while using a third string quarterback behind a patchwork offensive line and discombobulated rushing attack illustrates almost perfectly the duality of The Standard; thirty-seven year old third string Charlie Batch was not expected to perform to The Standard of franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and he didn't. But the Steelers were expected to perform to The Standard of the Steelers and they did, defeating the Ravens 23-20 in Baltimore.

There is no contradiction between how the two men view the Steelers' "The Standard". Rather, both men's perspective on The Standard are right, and are not mutually exclusive; it all comes down to what perspective you are taking when considering the context of the meaning of The Standard.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...in-suspensions
Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
Obtuse. Ha,Shawshank Redemption
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #37
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,533 Times in 10,357 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
That depends on what you do once you go into the bathroom.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 AM   #38
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,279 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
That depends on what you do once you go into the bathroom.
I drop an obDUECE.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-19-2013), teegre (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #39
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,169 Posts

In your search for truth of the standard, in some bathrooms, you may find an American Standard plumbing fixture
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-19-2013), teegre (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #40
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
In your search for truth of the standard, in some bathrooms, you may find an American Standard plumbing fixture
The Standard is the standard.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote