Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #31
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: You're missing the real target here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
It's because he has so much experience getting pelted in the face with white stuff.
His nickname uses to be snowball in college....clerks reference
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,473 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
That is all bullshit con-strewed meaningless points that classless/heartless men, (reminds me of Longshank who cut up William Wallace), who run up unnecessary points when the games at hand.....

The STEELERS are an organization of real men with heart, dignity,compassion and character, who chose to run the clock out and end the game when its well at hand, not run up the score and be a egotistical points champion.....

Look how CLASSLESS Robert Craft was this weekend talking about Welker and Brady.... True colors....
the Steelers offense has had a hard time getting to 21-24 points - forget talking about class - this is about the offense not carrying this team and doing what it has to do to win games for this team consistently - its about having a killer attitude and never feeling satisfied - sorry - I just get the feeling youre seeing the Steelers through homer-colored glasses - unless you're being sarcastic - they actually have been in the news for all the wrong reasons more than most teams lately - If teams are winning the SB averaging 30+ points, I don't think its too classless to ask for the offense to aim for a dominating level - I think its long overdue with the franchise QB and surrounding talent we've had

I think most owners are shrewd businessmen and class is pretty irrelevant when it comes down to bottom dollar. If you want class over winning as a fan - maybe you should sign up for some of their black tie events? Are they "classier in the public eye" than some teams like the Raiders and Cowboys? Sure - but don't mix perception with reality.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-22-2013), pete74 (03-22-2013), TheVet (03-25-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #33
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitthaaat32 View Post
lol aint that the truth. Looking at this past season in both wins and losses, the margin came by 7 points or less! Which means one more completion there, one less fumble there, one more stop on 3rd down, one less penalty negating a long punt return and we would've won most of our games (which also means we could've lost many more games if our opponents had done just a bit more as well).

The Steelers just basically need to do ONE THING only - score more points and start by doing that in the first half not the 4th quarter come-from-behind or final drive approach they've adopted and have gotten so comfortable with. The bar needs to be higher. When you are dominating a game you have to slam the door.

To put a different spin on this, if our offense threatened teams it would make the opposition take more chances. Notice almost every team that has a lot of takeaways has a high powered offense that puts pressure on the opposing offense to keep pace. This makes them take chances they normally wouldn't. Unfortunately right now no one is worried we will bury them. They won’t take unnecessary chances. Our offense needs to do better to pressure the opposing teams offense. But that is not the Steelers way. They allow teams to hang around and stick to their game plan instead of forcing them out of their comfort zone. So might as well run a fucking draw on 3rd and 8 to a third down back just to eat some clock.
This is an excellent analysis.

The Steelers need to score more points. Exactly. I don't have much reason to believe the defense will not be fine as usual. Sure, there is some tuning to do, with a few draft picks and a few free agents at the right price, including perhaps some of our own. I'm not going to complain about a defense that is ranked number one even if it doesn't make many splash plays.

How are the Steelers going to score more points? I'm more concerned about how the Steelers are going to score as many points as last season. Mike Wallace and Heath Miller led the Steelers with 8 TDs each. Where will those two guys be when this next season starts? Who is going to make up all that production?
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackH For This Useful Post:
lookitthaaat32 (03-22-2013), steelfury02 (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,037 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

What does class have to do with anything? You play to win the game, and to win the game, one must score as many points as possible on offense while permitting the fewest on defense. Allowing lesser teams to remain in games is not a sign of class, but underachieving. Keep the foot on the gas, continue to score until the game ends, and don't give the opposing team a chance to get back into the game. It's not the offense's job to stop their own offense, but it's the opposing defense's job to stop the opposing team's offense. Save class for off the field, but be as dominating as possible on game day, and don't allow lesser opponents to stay in the game and possibly pull off upsets.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #35
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
yeah its the bengals. we may be the weakest division next year. The ravens and brown will be 7-9 or worse, we can be 10-6 or 6-10 and the bengals will be good.

actually i think the chiefs are the best team in the afc. they had 6 pro bowlers last year and added a QB, wr, te, defensive help, have #1 pick overall AND andy reid.
Good points brethren... I didn't even think of the chiefs. It don't matter how bad or good they are anyways cause Tomlin cant seem to beet them or the shit stain raiders. That shit always bugs me about Tomlin.... Can't beet the flunky junk bond teams..... It costs us the playoffs 2 seasons already. 2 wasted fucking seasons that our star players will never get back again, all because Tomlin can't gameplan or take. Fly ky teams serious enough.....
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #36
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,584 Posts

Yep, the Chiefs are the best team in the AFC sittin' there with the number one overall pick in the league. Oh, and then, the Bengals are going to be a talented team too with their one offensive weapon in AJ Green who we managed to completely shut down last year (thanks, Ike!). The Pro Bowl is a joke and judging a rosters talent by it is a mistake. Let's put it this way - Ray Lewis and Derrick Johnson went to the Pro Bowl last year, but Lawrence Timmons didn't. Yeah, it's a little bit judged by name recognition and not talent.

I feel like the offseason is the twilight zone.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #37
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,473 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I think most of us are coming to a general consensus that scoring points on offense is of utmost importance (duh, right?) - but more importantly, that there seems to be an attitude that has crept in to the offensive side of the ball dating back somewhere between when the clock struck zero on SB 43 and when the clock struck zero on SB 45.

The time of possession argument will continue and the jury is still out on Haley and Ben putting a top 10 offense out on the field. However, I don't think it is ludicrous to say that a change in approach and attitude towards efficiency and consistency had to be made for the sake of 1. Realizing the myriad of options Ben needs to at least glance at and this continues into 2. Helping the O-line helping Ben so he can play another 5-6 seasons instead of 2 or 3.

If we all remember that Haley and Ben did talk about more vertical / aggressive down field throws to attack instead of what some call TOP/Marty ball, as the season progressed but that injuries hindered their future tweaks to the offense, maybe, just maybe efficiency was just the tip of the iceberg in scoring more, and consistently, and that he had to take that leap first so things set up nicely for vertical options, throwing a new look to opponents during a playoff run. Not saying that is the case, but Ben could not just go from gunslinger to deadly efficient overnight and that maybe this was the first step for him.

I think Logical is something that I'd like to call Haley's offense from a situation standpoint - something that was sorely lacking, and I think logic, barring injury, would continue to dictate that a more aggressive game plan was/in the works.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #38
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
glance at and this continues into 2. Helping the O-line helping Ben so he can play another 5-6 seasons instead of 2 or 3.
You got it right in that post, I mean the whole thing.

One point on the O-line helping Ben. It's not just the 0-line, it's the receivers getting open. If they don't, Ben is going to hold the ball.

Watch the last game against the Browns. No Wallace, no Heath. No receiver had more than 2 catches and Sanders had a whopping 28 yards to lead that stat. Paulson played the entire game and had 0 catches and was otherwise worse than mediocre. A grand total of 134 passing yards. Yeah, Ben did have 3 TD passes. Two of those after a short field due to fumbles recoveries by Cortez Allen. The game was tied 10-10 at the half, so it's not like the Steelers didn't need to generate some offense. Lucky we were playing against a QB playing his first game and no Trent Richardson.

Yep, that's what the Steelers will look like to start next season, barring some significant additions in terms of pass receivers. Wallace didn't just lead the team in TDs, tied with Heath, he drew the double coverage often, which gave the other receivers a better chance to get open. No Heath either to start the season, for 4 games, or 6 games, or whatever, we don't know.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #39
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,582 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
The Steelers did handle Flacco and the Ravens. Beat them once with a backup and lost by 3 with another backup. Just imagine if Ben had played that Week 11 game against the Ratbirds at Heinz Field instead of Leftwich. Had the Steelers won that game, it would have been Pittsburgh in the playoffs instead of Baltimore.
There's two different ways to look at the Bengals 'rise' though.

Head to head the Steelers can handle the Bengals. There are decades worth of evidence to support such a claim.

However, OVERALL (since PIT and CIN do not play each other 16 times a year) the Steelers could be looking up at Cincy in the standings and/or need to beat them/out do them to make the playoffs. In that scenario, it will be much less of a guarantee.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #40
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,065 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
actually i think the chiefs are the best team in the afc. they had 6 pro bowlers last year and added a QB, wr, te, defensive help, have #1 pick overall AND andy reid.