Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989
Default My mock draft v1.0

1. (17) OLB Jarvis Jones Georgia
2. (48) ILB Khaseem Green Rutgers
3. (79) TE Jordan Reed Florida
4. (115) FS DJ Swearinger South Carolina
5. (150) WR Marcus Davis Virginia Tech
6. (186) DE Kapron Lewis-Moore Notre Dame
6. (206) QB Brad Sorensen Southern Utah
7. (223) SS Zeke Motta Notre Dame

I think Jones will fall to 17 where Colbert will gladly take the Georgia product. He'll push Worilds to start from day 1 and have a chip on his shoulder coming in. Tomlin loves taking linebackers early (Timmons, Woodley back to back... etc) and they love battle tested players from the SEC. Poor workouts and seemingly senseless medical reports will allow Jones to slip. On film he's by far the best pass rusher in this draft. When he's on, he's comparable to Von Miller.

Khaseem Green is a physical buck style LB who will punish ball carriers and is
surprisingly adept in coverage. He guesses wrong at times but blows through blocks and turns and runs abnormally well. Hes always near the ball. He reminds me of a younger larger version of London Fletcher. They play the game very similarly.

Reed can start in multiple sets for Todd Haley and is a poor mans Aaron Hernandez. Good size and some blocking ability will get him on the field if Heath needs more time. Above average route ability and great hands. He's a safe pick to start for years and adds a different dimension to this short passing game. Ben will love him from day one.

Swearinger is a physical instinctive free safety who can provide depth and special teams play while learning the ropes behind 25. I think he has a ton of upside and can turn the ball over, something our defense needs. Bigger hitter who can burnt down the field but steps up in run support willingly.

The next 4 picks provide quality depth + competition in camp. Lewis-Moore is a quality lineman that could be utilized and coached up to rotate into our 34 defense some day down the road. Sorensen provides a young pocket passer to develop on the practice squad for future need behind Ben. Marcus Davis is a long shot but he's WR that gives them another young large target with good hands, there's some potential there. Motta is a fierce sure tackling safety who lacks nfl speed and polish but is better than most other prospects at the tail end of this draft. He's worth a pick at this point.

Analysis & criticism is welcome. This is one of the hardest drafts to predict for the black n' gold. They have tons of holes on the roster, depth & age issues, especially on the defensive side of the ball where they lack young playmakers. They will probably move around in the later rounds like normal to grab a few players they're high on but i am sure they will stay true to their player rankings and take the BPA and see where that leaves the roster.
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,115 Times in 3,037 Posts
Default Re: My mock draft v1.0

very different looking draft. I'm still not sure we need Jones as the #1 pick, but I wouldn't complain if they got him. Looks like it hits on all of our needs!
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
devin7558
Bench Warmer

I've been up in the air the most about the 1st rd selection. Tavon Austin, Cordarelle Patterson, Mingo or even a top corner like Rhodes or Trufant are all options. As is Kenny Vaccaro from Texas. There are so many options. I would welcome a trade up or down in this draft to really hit on a selection in round 1.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

that TE you have is an interesting pick for the Steelers. Not sure how they would use him as they tend to like blocking ability in the position. I'd be pleased if they picked him with the thought of using him differently than Miller, more in the passing game.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
devin7558
Bench Warmer

My reasoning behind reed is there aren't many top tier targets in this draft from rd 2-4. reed could start early opposite miller, he could offset Wallace's loss in FA, hes a very good target and has more blocking ability than his frame suggests. His film is impressive. He's raw at some of the finer points of the position but fits what Haley likes to do and has upside. He can play immediately and from almost any formation. He's excellent lined up in the slot and in spread formations. He'd move the sticks. Very low risk high reward player.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

sounds good, how do you think he'd compare to Escobar?

EDIT: or do you expect him to be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
devin7558
Bench Warmer

I think Gavin Escobar is a good prospect. He is the tall tackle like build that the steelers traditionally select. Big redzone target and good hands but I don't know how well he'd project in the short fast routes that Haley likes to utilize.

I think If they decline to select a TE or WR in rds 1-3 that he would be available in rd 4 right around where we pick. His stock could rise dramatically before draft day though based on his frame.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,103 Posts

I like the way your draft looks but I fell like there will be a running back taking in this draft by the Steelers.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Yeah RB is a need. I feel like they might grab a late free agent to fill that need. They tendered Redman and Dwyer. There needs to be another RB in that mix besides batch
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin7558 View Post
Yeah RB is a need. I feel like they might grab a late free agent to fill that need. They tendered Redman and Dwyer. There needs to be another RB in that mix besides batch

This may be true but I think we draft one from round three to five we need a full time back in Pittsburgh that can make a difference. I am not saying do away with Dwyer and Reman but we need someone that can make it happen.