Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Cowher Good...Not Great

With all the posts I have been reading about how great Cowher was and how Tomlin isnt a great coach but walked into a great situation, I felt the need to post this.

Bill Cowher was one of the best coaches of his era but was NOT a great coach. He too was handed a great situation and he was made to look great because the Steelers let him work through the tough seasons while other organizations fired there coaches. So, when most coaches were getting canned 2-3 years in, Cowher being there 10+ right away everyone assumes....GREAT Coach.

lets keep this in mind. Again, Cowher was a good coach, but not great.

1- He inherited a GREAT nucleus of players drafted by Chuck Noll. Players such as Woodson, Lloyd, Lake, O Donnell, Dawson, Foster, Eric Green, JOhn Jackson, Gerald Williams, Nickerson, Ernie Mills, DJ Williams, Meril Hoge. Lots of Starters throughout the beginning of Cowhers coaching era

2- Cowher had his share of high draft busts- Deon Figure (rs 1) , Jermaine Stephens, RD 1, Steve Conley rd 3, Will Blackwell- rd 2, Paul Wiggins, rd 3, Jeremy Stat- rd 2, Chris Conrad- rd 3, Troy Edwards- rd 1, Scott Shields, rd 2, Alonzo Jackson- rd 2.

the issue with these busts were they were needed to replace Pro Bowlers and players Noll left Cowher.

3- Terrible Record in big games. he lost 4 AFC Championship games at home as the favorite.

4- 1-1 in Super Bowls and had over 10 year span between Super Bowls

5- 12-9 in the playoffs when most were home games.

6- 3 years in a row not making playoffs

7- 10 of 15 years in playoffs..Good...One Super Bowl win...not good for that many chances

Look, I like Cowher, he was a good coach, he was a motvator and tough but he wasnt exactly what I would call a GREAT coach.

he rode Chuck Nolls great ability to draft and find talent and could not get that team a championship with 5 playoff appearances. When those players fazed out and he brought in his players they had a bad stretch and I have seen coaches make the playoffs with less talent than he had.

glad he was our coach as I am Tomlin is, but to say Cowher is that much better than Tomlin is crazy.
harrison'samonster (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,028 Times in 562 Posts
My Mood: Devilish
Default Re: Cowher Good...Not Great

I'll never forgive the '95 Super Bowl meltdown... and I didn't even exist yet!

Overall, he was a good coach, but damn he choked alot.
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,080 Times in 3,411 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post

we had that 95 SB, against a team we weren't suppose to be able to beat. that wasn't Cowher's fault.

I agree, Cowher wasn't a great coach, although I loved having him on the sidelines. I do miss the fire, there aren't many coaches who have matched that.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Steelers5895
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
we had that 95 SB, against a team we weren't suppose to be able to beat. that wasn't Cowher's fault.

I agree, Cowher wasn't a great coach, although I loved having him on the sidelines. I do miss the fire, there aren't many coaches who have matched that.
I still have yet to get over the 95 Super Bowl. we dominated and won the game BUT didnt score more points. I dont blame O Donnell, I think the injury to Ernie Mills hurt them. We had to use inexperienced receivers who werent where they were supposed to be.

As for Cowher, his fire and toughness tends to get people thinking he was a great coach. he was a great motivator and fun to watch on the sidelines. But in a big game, i would take Tomlin. 2-0 in AFC Championship games.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,261 Posts

as the staying goes... the grass is always greener on the other side.

When we had the Jaw people wanted more, now we got a 2-0 in afc title games coach, and we want the jaw..

Never gonna be perfect but Steeler fans are awfully spoiled. Tomlin is a top coach in the game, and plenty of teams would love to have him coaching for them.
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
teegre (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,080 Times in 3,411 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
When we had the Jaw people wanted more, now we got a 2-0 in afc title games coach, and we want the jaw..
that's a good point. Every time we came close, people wanted Cowher run out of town. I guess we're always going to get people over-reacting about our HC
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

The Steelers prior season records before Cowher took over were 5-11, 9-7, 9-7, 7-9 Hardly a " set " team

Cowher lost AFC Championships to eventual SB Champs in Patriots 2x and Denver with Hall of Fame QB Elway and Brady.

Lost the Superbowl to a Legendary team in The Dallas Cowboys. Very well could have won it.

Cowher probably would have at least 3 rings with BR7 at QB ( he got 1 with him)

Tomlin got the job done against flacco's and Sanchez and a weak Cardinals team. I have trouble seeing a Tomlin team beating a team with a HOF QB in January.
fer522 (03-26-2013), Millers the sh!t (03-27-2013), Steeldude (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

And Chuck Noll is the guy most responsible for the Steelers drafting Gabriel Rivera instead of Dan Marino with their first pick of the 1983 draft, the way I hear the story.

In my opinion, the Steelers have been blessed with outstanding coaches, outstanding ownership, and outstanding players. For the most part. There are always bumps in the road. The 6 Lombardi Trophies are real sweet.

And then there is the Cleveland Browns.

A discussion about whether Cowher or Tomlin is a better coach is like the one about Bradshaw vs. Ben. Damn good, both of them.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackH For This Useful Post:
SteelCityMom (03-28-2013), The_Joker (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Steelers5895
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
The Steelers prior season records before Cowher took over were 5-11, 9-7, 9-7, 7-9 Hardly a " set " team

Cowher lost AFC Championships to eventual SB Champs in Patriots 2x and Denver with Hall of Fame QB Elway and Brady.

Lost the Superbowl to a Legendary team in The Dallas Cowboys. Very well could have won it.

Cowher probably would have at least 3 rings with BR7 at QB ( he got 1 with him)

Tomlin got the job done against flacco's and Sanchez and a weak Cardinals team. I have trouble seeing a Tomlin team beating a team with a HOF QB in January.
You forgot Stan Humphries and Tom Brady wasnt Tom Brady yet in one of those. Great coaches find a way to win those games.

he inherited a team full of talent as did Tomlin.

the thing is when fans rip Tomlin they keep saying Cowher this and Cowher that. It was Cowhers team , Cowher would have done this. what they forget are the major pitfalls of the Cowher Era.

Not winning a super bowl with the team he had early/mid 90's was a travesty
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,455 Times in 2,267 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post

Thanks for making me feel old

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote