Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,409 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- When he took over as head coach in 2007, Mike Tomlin inherited an immediate crisis in his defense: How to replace Joey Porter, one of the team's all-time sack leaders and inspirational players.

Porter, the right outside linebacker, had just turned 30 and was coming off a season in which he had seven sacks and two interceptions, one for a touchdown, in 14 games. But, because of a nagging knee injury, he was not the same player that the Steelers saw during their 2005 run to the Super Bowl.

Rather than pay him the $6 million he was scheduled to make in 2007, the Steelers released him

But, as Tomlin soon discovered, Porter's loss was the Steelers' gain.

"There was a guy that came in my office that was ready to prove that he was capable of [playing] 900 to 1,000 snaps a year," Tomlin said. "His name was James Harrison. I think if we all knew what James Harrison was capable of, he would have played more than he did before 2007."

Nobody is expecting Jason Worilds to be James Harrison. But, ready or not, he is the heir apparent at right outside linebacker to Harrison, a five-time Pro Bowl selection who was released two weeks with two years remaining on his contract.

Worilds was a No. 2 draft choice in 2009 who has started 10 games and has 10 sacks in three seasons. But Harrison's stats were even more nondescript when he replaced Porter as the starter at right outside linebacker -- eight starts and four sacks in three seasons.

"I believe that Jason Worilds is chomping at the bit to prove he is capable of being that," Tomlin said during a break at the NFL owners meetings that began Monday at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa. "We will see what Worilds is capable of doing."

Then he added with a laugh, "No pressure."

Tomlin's point, though, is well-founded: You never know what can happen when a player gets to emerge from a considerable shadow. And Harrison certainly cast that in his six years as a dominating presence in the Steelers defense.

"But that's what this is," Tomlin said. "That's what change does. It provides opportunities for guys to ascend and take advantage of opportunities, and to carve out a niche or a name for themselves. I think that these competitors are challenged by that or encouraged by those opportunities that change presents."

"You never know," team president Art Rooney II said on Monday, standing on the lawn outside the meeting area. "Over the years, we certainly have had players that, when they were given their opportunity, like James did, they stepped forward and really did a great job. Jason has certainly shown flashes of being a great pass rusher. So he'll certainly have an opportunity to show what he can do this year."

Harrison was coming off a season in which he missed all offseason training activities and the entire training camp because of a nagging knee injury that eventually required surgery. After sitting out the first two games of the regular season, he looked like a shadow of his old self when he returned -- failing to generate any pressure on the quarterback and struggling to cover tight ends and running backs in pass situations because of his knee.

Harrison improved as the season went along and finished tied for the team lead with six sacks in 14 games. But Harrison will be 35 in May -- five years older than Porter when he was released by the Steelers in 2006 -- and was scheduled to make $6.56 million in 2013. When he refused to take a pay cut, the Steelers released him.

"James is a special guy and was a special player for us," Tomlin said. "It is a part of the business. We may never replace James but we will have an opportunity to strengthen ourselves in other areas. I think that's what you look at sometimes when you look at some of the things that have happened from a change standpoint.

"No, we won't be able to replace James. No, we won't be able to replace Mike Wallace. Those guys are who they are. But those voids will provide opportunities for us to strengthen ourselves in those areas and in others, and collectively maybe even make us stronger. I think that's an approach I always take to change. That's why I view it somewhat optimistically."

NOTE -- The NFL settled a lawsuit with 16 retired players who challenged the improper use of their images in NFL films and other footage. The league will contribute $42 million over an eight-year period to a newly established fund that will be administered by a group of retired players. "We've got more litigation going on than we would like and to get one piece of this out of the way is a big thing," Rooney said. "To have a group of retired players come in and express their appreciation and their interest in working together, that's an important piece of the puzzle of what we're going to get done going forward."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2NyRKtZHG
Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,107 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession

It's time to let the world see what he's got. He may surprise many with his play. If he can play well, he will fill a giant void in the roster, and would make a successful season much more attainable.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
6RINGS (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

I dont for a second believe Worilds will succeed at ROLB. He hasn't proven he can either as he has not ever played well from that position. He has played well at LOLB but unless they are moving Woodley over to accomodate, which I highly doubt, Worilds is the starting ROLB. Regardless of LeBeau being the Coordinator, I think it is possible a rookie (if drafted in the first two rounds) takes over for Worilds as the starter not llong into the season.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
I dont for a second believe Worilds will succeed at ROLB. He hasn't proven he can either as he has not ever played well from that position. He has played well at LOLB but unless they are moving Woodley over to accomodate, which I highly doubt, Worilds is the starting ROLB. Regardless of LeBeau being the Coordinator, I think it is possible a rookie (if drafted in the first two rounds) takes over for Worilds as the starter not llong into the season.
Porter and harrison didnt show any ablility before they were thrust in the starting role, and they turned out ok. He hasnt played enough snaps for us to judge what he can and cant do. We need to see a bigger body of work from hIm before we judge.

Its almost a double edge sword when it comes to worlids because we all hope he does very good but if he does he will want to be paid cause its a contract year for him.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

To a degree you're right, but what we have seen of him at the ROLB position hasnt looked promising. If he doesnt shine he probably won't even get a new contract.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,910 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I appreciate the article stating James Harrison had even less stats than Worilds right before he came onto the scene

There isn't much to go on - going with an unproven is an uneasy situation, but - I'm just hoping that constant game-speed repetition is all this guy needs

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

I have my doubts about his potential......plus the dude can never stay healthy

He has a lot to prove

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,623 Times in 8,597 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
Porter and harrison didnt show any ablility before they were thrust in the starting role, and they turned out ok.
I disagree. In Porter's rookie pre-season, he was tearing it up. He didn't end up starting, but everyone knew that he would very soon. Likewise, whenever Harrison filled in for any of the four LBs (he backed up all four positions), everyone could feel his presence. Most of us were begging for him to start over Haggans (can you imagine Porter & Harrison as the OLBs... wow!!!).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
steeltheone (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
lowester
Water Boy

Member Number: 24414

I'll have to see it to believe it..
lowester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Nobody is expecting Jason Worilds to be James Harrison

well that's exactly what we need - without a dominant pass rush by our OLB's our bargain basement secondary will get torn to shreds - scheme can only do so much

Plus we were extremely fortunate that Timmons lasted a whole season - if he gets hurt we're really screwed

We can win with a bunch of schmoes on the DL - not at LB.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote