Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Cowher not happy with camp

one of the key components of managing personnel is knowing your people...and knowing their "buttons"....

All people are individuals and need motivated slightly (or not so slightly) differently. this is a basic tenant of management, one that a majority of managers just dont get.

Cowher gets it.

Some players need kicked hard...some players need stroked....Cowher manages them as individuals and also employs group motivational techniques...

When he retires...he should seriously write a book...

Old 08-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
ptgnzlz7
Water Boy

Member Number: 2706

Does anybody remember how they played last pre-season. The '05 Training Camp Roethlisberger looked like he had been in a motorcycle wreck and some turd blossom by the name of Ward held out leaving an offense so bad we were begging him to come back.

I guess things turned out OK.
ptgnzlz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #13
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Cowher needs something to keep the players focus, this works for me!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I obviously haven't seen any of the Steelers pre-season games but from reading some of the posts I get the feeling that the Steelers have failed to execute even the vanilla playcalling correctly.

Sure, I understand that being beaten by the Cards or whoever in the pre-season is not an indicator that that it would play out the same in a real game, but surely pre-season is there for a reason.

Shouldn't the 2nd/3rd string be trying to impress a little more or are they just not capable?

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,949 Times in 3,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
there for a reason.

Shouldn't the 2nd/3rd string be trying to impress a little more or are they just not capable?

NM
you are right on both counts. they lack the proper coaching or motivation to even try and pittsburghs 2nd and 3rd stringers historically always just suck.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #16
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
you are right on both counts. they lack the proper coaching or motivation to even try and pittsburghs 2nd and 3rd stringers historically always just suck.
Ho hum Tony H getting defensive as usual.

Im not saying these players suck, im just saying that they haven't shown anything in pre-season.

It all very well going 0-5 in the pre-season, like the Colts, but there should be multiple positives to be taken from each performance.

Going on what Steelers posters have been saying I would say that the negatives far outweigh the positives so far.

NM
Old 08-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Going on what Steelers posters have been saying I would say that the negatives far outweigh the positives so far.

NM
Well, the way I see it - Ben is back and better than ever, Reid has played well in both the WR slot and as a return man, Santonio, for the most part, is learning the offense and coming along just fine, Anthony Smith has far surpassed any of our expectations (imo), we have two above-average punters, but I think experience will win out in the end. Those are some very key positives. The first team D needs to step it up a bit but I have no doubt LeBeau will have them ready for the Fins game. The OL has been average at best, but look for them to get it together and be one of the best in the NFL this season. You heard it here first.

Enough positives?

The negatives after ONLY 2 pre-season games? We lost 2 close contests with our scrubs playing the majority of both of those games. Not an excuse, mind you - fact.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #18
tony hipchest

ho hum. another litp post. lets play name that tone!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #19
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Well, the way I see it - Ben is back and better than ever, Reid has played well in both the WR slot and as a return man, Santonio, for the most part, is learning the offense and coming along just fine, Anthony Smith has far surpassed any of our expectations (imo), we have two above-average punters, but I think experience will win out in the end. Those are some very key positives. The first team D needs to step it up a bit but I have no doubt LeBeau will have them ready for the Fins game. The OL has been average at best, but look for them to get it together and be one of the best in the NFL this season. You heard it here first.

Enough positives?

The negatives after ONLY 2 pre-season games? We lost 2 close contests with our scrubs playing the majority of both of those games. Not an excuse, mind you - fact.
So Santonio is coming along just fine?

Thats news to me, it seemed that he has dropped below Willie Reid in most peoples expectations.

Dont get me wrong, I have no doubts about your 1st string team - especially the D.

There do appear to be a few question marks, but mostly ones that were left over from last years regular season - ie the inability to get off the field on 3rd down.

It was mostly just an observation based upon the new guys and the back-ups.

NM
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #20
tony hipchest

Quote:

Thats news to me, it seemed that he has dropped below Willie Reid in most peoples expectations.

NM
who are these people you speak of? are you in contact with the coaching staff and most steelerfans? tsk tsk.

santonio holmes is the #4 wr and w. reid is #5. and just like hines ward did in the past they will be given the opportunities to prove themselves and work their way up the ladder. dont let "most people" fool you.