Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,634 Times in 5,222 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Pro Days: Steelers' GM might see Harrison clone in Buckeyes' Simon

Pro Days: Steelers' GM might see Harrison clone in Buckeyes' Simon

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
March 25, 2013

While the Baltimore Ravens filled their need for another pass rusher by signing veteran Elvis Dumervil over the weekend, the Pittsburgh Steelers might be targeting a rookie to help take the place of five-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison, who the team released two weeks ago in a cost-cutting move.

Reports have surfaced that the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year might be willing to return to Pittsburgh, but general manager Kevin Colbert has never been one to wait for replacement options and, judging by his appearance Monday at a private workout for Ohio State pass rusher John Simon, Harrison may have waited too long.

Colbert was the headliner among representatives from 12 teams at Simon's workout, according to a report from NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

The 6-1, 257-pound Simon starred as a defensive end for the Buckeyes but will likely have to make the transition to outside linebacker in the NFL at this size. He struggled when asked to do so in Mobile, Ala., during Senior Bowl practices before succumbing to a shoulder injury that kept him sidelined at the combine and during Ohio State's originally scheduled Pro Day, March 8.

Despite being hampered by a knee injury that limited him to just 11 games in 2012, Simon was named the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year with 44 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss and a career-high nine sacks. On more than one occasion, the high-effort Simon was characterized by Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer as the "heart and soul" of the team.

Simon demonstrated enough athleticism during his drills Monday to reassure scouts from 3-4 clubs of his ability to pressure the quarterback as a stand-up rusher. He was clocked between 4.62 and 4.70 in the 40-yard dash and posted times of 4.42 seconds in the short shuttle and 7.10 in the three-cone drill. These times are in line with some of the other intriguing "second-tier" hybrid edge rushers of the 2013 draft class, like Auburn's Corey Lemonier and Southern Mississippi's Jamie Collins, among others.

Sporting similarly compact builds, as well as burst and power, Simon and the 6-0, 242-pound Harrison have a lot of similarities in the way that they wreak havoc off the edge.

If healthy, Simon could prove to be an immediate impact defender likely to be available in the second to third round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...buckeyes-simon
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
MeanGee2047
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24036
Default Re: Pro Days: Steelers' GM might see Harrison clone in Buckeyes' Simon

FO has to do something....defense is bleeding out right now....
MeanGee2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGee2047 View Post
FO has to do something....defense is bleeding out right now....
no kidding, we definitely need to select an ILB, an OLB, a FS and a SS in this draft.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,743 Times in 977 Posts

I'm leery of Ohio State players in general. To me it seems like too few light it up big time in the NFL that get drafted, especially their "Stars". Either they're a head case, have drug problems, injury prone, or just plain old can't get the job done.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty

We've drafted 4 Ohio State players in the last three drafts. Wouldn't be a shocker.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (03-28-2013), teegre (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Completely disagree about OSU players. Cam has been fine, he hasn't had a chance to play!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,743 Times in 977 Posts

Cam is Hood revisited. Tons of talent that just don't seem to play football real well. Cam will play when Cam plays well. To date Cam has not been able to beat out an aging DE, and a guy that isn't worth a clump of farts. It's not saying much.

Just asking Austin, but just how many All-Pro players have there been from THE Ohio State U in the last 5 years? Pro-Bowl? Highly rated?.....

For a major college program that gets the press they get year in and year out, unless most of their players go on to be come nuclear physicists, or rocket scientists, they seem to have a disportional representation when it comes to great players in the NFL.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,041 Times in 3,538 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I don't know how so many here can claim that Ziggy and Cam suck. They play on the #1 defense in the league, were #2 in the league against the run, and allow the LB to make plays when they do their jobs. I'd say they're doing their jobs pretty well. I'm not saying that they are elite players yet, but to say they can't play just isn't right. Hood can still get better, and I think Cam has a chance to be a dominant pass rusher. I think their best football is ahead of them.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
kan_t (03-28-2013), lloydwoodson (03-28-2013), tanda10506 (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty

Will Smith, Chris Gamble, Michael Jenkins, Will Allen, Shane Olivea, Mike Nugent, AJ Hawk, Donte Whitner, Santonio Holmes, Nick Mangold, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Brian Hartline, Cam Heyward, Mike Adams

All Ohio State alums drafted in the past decade who were decent and had or have starting jobs in the NFL
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-28-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Will Smith, Chris Gamble, Michael Jenkins, Will Allen, Shane Olivea, Mike Nugent, AJ Hawk, Donte Whitner, Santonio Holmes, Nick Mangold, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Brian Hartline, Cam Heyward, Mike Adams

All Ohio State alums drafted in the past decade who were decent and had or have starting jobs in the NFL
aloha Rabbit,

just wanted to let you know I have been very impressed by the quality of your recent posts. keep up the good work!