Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,786 Times in 7,928 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Comp picks for Wallace, Lewis, & Spinny... equals trading up for Clowney

It seems as though there is a lot of talk & concern about losing a lot of FAs this year. Many have stated that the "silver lining" is three comp picks. Likewise, several have talked about getting Clowney in 2014 (for whatever reason, that seems like the "solution" to losing Wallace & Lewis).

Ergo, I am proposing a legitimate way in which the Steelers could realistically trade up for Clowney. Here are the facts, and then the proposal.

1. Clowney is going #1 overall.

2. I always assume that the Steelers are picking 32... (for obvious reasons).

2-a. Assuming that that is indeed the case, going from 32 all the way up to 1 is the hardest trade up that there could be.

3. The Steelers are most likely going to get comp picks for Wallace (R3), Lewis (R4), and Spinny (R7).

3-a. Assuming that the Steelers are picking 32 in every round, the comp picks for R3 & R4 would only be a few spots later (R3: 96 and a comp pick between 97-100; R4: 132 and a comp pick between 133-136).

3-b. In most drafts, teams have 7 picks. Trading away those "original" R3 & R4 picks would be replaced (essentially) by the comp picks (e.g. a pick between 97-100 replaces pick 96).

3-c. People are hesitant to trade away picks (rightfully so, because picks are like gold). BUT, those three comp picks can NOT be traded away. So, at a minimum, even if the Steelers were to trade away ALL of their other draft picks, they'd still have four draft picks (Clowney, R3, R4, R7).

And that's exactly what I propose that they do: trade away everything, in order to move up to the #1 overall pick.

SUMMATION
Again, most teams expect to get seven picks in a draft. The Steelers would only be getting four... which is not too bad. Considering that the R3 & R4 comp picks are essentially the same as the ones that they would originally have, it means that the Steelers would "basicslly" only lose a R2, R5, & R6 pick, in order to acquire Clowney.

R1: Clowney
R2: traded away
R3: comp pick replaces "original" pick
R4: comp pick replaces "original" pick
R5: traded away
R6: traded away
R7: comp pick replaces the "original"

I think that it's easily worth it, for the best OLB that I've seen in a decade.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Re: Comp picks for Wallace, Lewis, & Spinny... equals trading up for Clowney

Last year this time Matt Barkley was going number 1 in the 2013 draft....
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Default Re: Comp picks for Wallace, Lewis, & Spinny... equals trading up for Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Last year this time Matt Barkley was going number 1 in the 2013 draft....
Regardless of who is ranked #1 overall, the point is still the same: trading up is not as far-fetched as one would think (if one takes those three comp picks into consideration).
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Stairway to 7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24340

Someone has too much time on their hands...
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,806 Times in 905 Posts

Can you actually trade away compensatory draft picks? I thought for some reason you could not.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,172 Posts

For them to do this, they'd have to not take an OLB early this year. I don't think they're going to anyway, given the faith they seem to have in Worilds. Didn't they put out a public statement saying it was his time?

Either way, I'd shit my pants if they drafted Clowney. Hell, I'd shit your pants.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairway to 7 View Post
Someone has too much time on their hands...
True.

That said, it seems that a lot of the threads, especially the Worilds threads and the Harrison threads, end up with several people pining for Clowney (myself included).

With the possibility of the Steelers going with Worilds and NOT drafting an OLB early, the Clowney discussion is not solely "daydreaming"; it might be a logical, (although highly unlikely) gameplan.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,012 Posts

I'd do this. The fact we still have mid-round picks is what seals it for me. We might have to change our scheme to accommodate him but I'd be willing to do that too.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Can you actually trade away compensatory draft picks? I thought for some reason you could not.
You are correct: comp picks can NOT be traded away.

I was suggesting trading away every other pick... which would leave the Steelers with Clowney and the three comp picks (R3, R4, & R7).
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty

Clowney's good, but he's not worth trading basically an entire draft for. Especially since he's never played in space. Patience in the draft has always been this team's mantra.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote