Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,210 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Rutgers Fires Coach After Public Learns of Abuse School Already Knew About

Rutgers Fires Coach After Public Learns of Abuse School Already Knew About

Rutgers University fired men's basketball coach Mike Rice this morning. "Based upon recently revealed information and a review of previously discovered issues, Rutgers has terminated the contract of Mike Rice," the school said in a statement on Twitter.

Those "previously discovered issues"? Rice's abusive behavior during team practices, during which he threw basketballs at his players, shoved them, used a variety of profane language including a gay slur, and acted generally like someone most parents wouldn't want anywhere near their children. The coach's actions were caught on tape, portions of which were aired by ESPN yesterday. The footage drew a quick rebuke from many sports columnists, and led New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie to issue a statement saying that he was "deeply disturbed" by the whole thing.

As the Star-Ledger explains, Rutgers had already reprimanded Rice for his actions last December, suspending him for three games without pay and fining him $50,000 after the school's athletic director, Tim Pernetti, was shown the damning footage. Once the tape went public, however, it appears as though Pernetti and the other school officials rethought just how inappropriate Rice's behavior was.

"I am responsible for the decision to attempt a rehabilitation of Coach Rice," Pernetti said in a statement this morning. "Dismissal and corrective action were debated in December and I thought it was in the best interest of everyone to rehabilitate, but I was wrong. Moving forward, I will work to regain the trust of the Rutgers community."

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Default Re: Rutgers Fires Coach After Public Learns of Abuse School Already Knew About

[YOUTUBE]IVoOtpDuZwA[/YOUTUBE]

Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,006 Times in 3,720 Posts
Default Re: Rutgers Fires Coach After Public Learns of Abuse School Already Knew About

there's just no reason for a coach to act that way. I am sorry to see the school go from giving him another chance to firing him just because it went public
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
there's just no reason for a coach to act that way. I am sorry to see the school go from giving him another chance to firing him just because it went public

When the school found out last summer they did nothing. When a compilation tape was sent to them (compiled from tapes the school already had) they suspended him. When that tape was on ESPN they fired him. If the compilation tape had never been created, Rice would never have been reprimanded at all, it looks like.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Jerry Sandusky Horrified By Behavior Of Rutgers Basketball Coach
Sports News in Brief • sports • ISSUE 49•14 • Apr 3, 2013

WAYNESBURG, PA—Calling the conduct “shocking and disgraceful,” former Penn State football coach and convicted serial child molester Jerry Sandusky expressed his outrage Tuesday over the actions of now-fired Rutgers men’s basketball coach Mike Rice. “I have to say, that kind of behavior is totally unacceptable, especially from someone who is supposed to be teaching and nurturing young athletes, for God’s sake,” said Sandusky, who called the recently leaked video of Rice kicking, pushing, and screaming gay slurs at his players during practice “absolutely sickening.” “He had a responsibility to these boys, and what he did was not only completely inappropriate, but also, to be perfectly frank, downright disgusting. How a guy like that, with the mental problems he has, was ever allowed to be around these kids in the first place is totally beyond me. Unbelievable.” In addition to his harsh criticism of Rice, Sandusky also blasted Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti and university president Robert Barchi for not immediately firing the coach after the video was first brought to their attention last year.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
CrickRat23
Bench Warmer

Breakout Champion! Drunk Driver Championship Champion! Sonic Champion! Street Fighter Champion!
Member Number: 24843

I am surprised one of the kids did not kick his ass. Sure, they probably would have been kicked off of the team, but it would probably have been worth it. The coach was a prick.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickRat23 View Post
I am surprised one of the kids did not kick his ass. Sure, they probably would have been kicked off of the team, but it would probably have been worth it. The coach was a prick.
to be honest I thought the same thing.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti resigns
By Brett McMurphy
ESPN

Tim Pernetti resigned as Rutgers' athletic director, a source said Friday, two days after video came to light showing men's basketball coach Mike Rice shoving, grabbing and throwing balls at players and using gay slurs during practice.

Pernetti's job status was actually arrived at Thursday by the school, a source said. Rutgers president Robert L. Barchi will hold a news conference on campus at 1 p.m. ET.

Like Pernetti, Barchi was sharply criticized for Rice remaining on the job as cocach for as long as he did. Barchi is "highly likely" to remain with the university, a source said.

Pernetti's ouster follows his firing of Rice on Wednesday and the resignation of assistant coach Jimmy Martelli, who also was seen on tape treating players in a like manner. The video was obtained by "Outside the Lines" and aired on ESPN on Tuesday.

More than 50 Rutgers faculty members had signed a letter calling for the dismissal of Pernetti for his handling of the Rice situation. Pernetti, with the approval of Barchi, initially suspended Rice three games in December 2012 and fined him $50,000. Eric Murdock, the former director of player development for the Scarlet Knights, told "Outside The Lines" that he spoke with Pernetti in June and November about Rice's mistreatment of players. Murdock, who was fired by Rice and Pernetti in early July, also told ESPN that was not contacted beyond his November discussion with Pernetti and other university officials.

Murdock told "Outside the Lines" that Rice's "outrageous" behavior had caused at least three players to transfer from the team. Murdock's attorney, Raj Gadhok, has said Murdock intends to sue Rutgers for wrongful termination.

harrison'samonster (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

hope Murdoch gets whatever he wants in that suit!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...ons-caught-on/

Seems like the kids were ok with it.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but he shouldn't have lost his job over this. He did take things too far when he started throwing balls at the kids, but it wasn't with great frequency (those tapes make it seem like it happened more than it did) and shit happens when emotions are high, and sometimes anger has a way of taking over. It's unfortunate he handled himself that way, but other than the ball throwing, he didn't do anything almost every other coach has done in the past. Name calling happens (I seriously doubt he was using the gay slurs in the traditional sense, ie not trying to call the kids gay) and coaches get in players faces to ruffle feathers. Hell, Bob Knight made a career out of it, and he's working at the very place where Rice's image was getting tarnished. He should've been suspended and forced to take anger counseling. Honeslty, if you can't take name calling and a coach getting in your face you shouldn't be playing sports. How the hell are players supposed to take all the trash talking that happens during games when they can't even take it from their coach? It's all for motivation.