Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #21
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: draft day disappointments? cut rookies

I don't see Jacobs being cut at all this year.

You gotta remember,he's playing with the third string offense,not the first string.If he was playing with all the first stringers he's definatly look better.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
It wasn't that long ago that everyone was singing the praises of Orien Harris (some called him the steal of the whole draft) and Omar Jacobs. Now reality is setting in and people are coming to realize that it's hard for anyone beyond the first 2-3 rounds to make a good football team.
Yes it's hard but it has been done. And they are all important players.

Fourth Round: Aaron Smith, Deshea Townsend, Larry Foote
Fifth Round: Clark Haggans, Verron Haynes
Seventh Round: Brett Keisel

Like Steelillini said you get two eventual starters from each draft then you're doing well. Get three and it's great.

AND "If Omar gets cut (which i dont think he will) then it would represent a fairly large misjudgement from the Steelers draft team."

WHY? He was a FIFTH round pick. This statement sounds like a search to bash Colbert/Cowher.

James Harrison went undrafted. Was cut twice. Stuck with it. And just signed a new deal and will start at least a few games this season. Making the 53-man roster for Miami is a business and not indicative of future circumstances. Keeping Jacobs on the roster for the Miami game doesn't make any sense or does it make the Steelers any better. Unless he's willing to play special teams then he is a liability. Or he can somehow prove that he can learn the offense in the next two weeks. I'm guessing No.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #23
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook
Reid is another pleasant surprise and may just turn out to be more valuable than Holmes.
Smith is UNREAL. Holmes is showing up but he is a first rounder so it's expected to some degree.

But Reid is a pleasant surprise. What impresses me most is how well he performs in traffic. He not only seems fearless and reliable but if we had a third string QB his numbers would be much higher.

If only these three are on the roster for the next 3-4 years then we had a great draft.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #24
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer
I don't see Jacobs being cut at all this year.

You gotta remember,he's playing with the third string offense,not the first string.If he was playing with all the first stringers he's definatly look better.

Exactly.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM   #25
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

He still doesnt look good, not just in the games but nor the practices ( from what i read, not a first hand account in practice) i think is the point. Cut his ass and put him on practice squad .. maybe a year of that will help out and then he can go over to NFL Europe and play anf get better and try again next year... Never know ... something could happen to Batch or Ben and he will get called up some like St Pierre did
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #26
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

And i dont think there was any misjudgement on any of the players the Steelers took.. we are loaded with vets and recent draft picks at most positions. We needed definately to fill the role of WR.... everything else was for the most part a luxery .. Smith was a nice nab.. but past the 3rd round.. just as next year ... will be trying to find a few gems like we always do. Some are obviously not gonan work out, not because they are aweful but hardto find room for them.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #27
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter07
He still doesnt look good, not just in the games but nor the practices ( from what i read, not a first hand account in practice) i think is the point. Cut his ass and put him on practice squad .. maybe a year of that will help out and then he can go over to NFL Europe and play anf get better and try again next year... Never know ... something could happen to Batch or Ben and he will get called up some like St Pierre did
LOL,...give the Kid the chance Knight. He's got a lot on his plate right now. But,... he does have the appetite to finish. Once he's acclimated and comfortable with the playbook,....he can just play,....without overthinking things. Then you will begin to see the skills that made him so impressive at the collegiate level.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"
Old 08-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #28
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

So if the Steelers are so 'loaded' why didnt they package the lower round picks that they clearly dont need and pick up one player who is a better bet to make the 53?

I think peoples views of what a rookie QB should be able to do are colored by what Ben has achieved - guys like him come round once in a long while.

Even high round picks look awful when they first start out - Eli Manning, Alex Smith, but they have alot of info to assimilate - then the game gets 'slower' for them and their natural talent can come to the fore.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #29
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
So if the Steelers are so 'loaded' why didnt they package the lower round picks that they clearly dont need and pick up one player who is a better bet to make the 53?

I think peoples views of what a rookie QB should be able to do are colored by what Ben has achieved - guys like him come round once in a long while.

Even high round picks look awful when they first start out - Eli Manning, Alex Smith, but they have alot of info to assimilate - then the game gets 'slower' for them and their natural talent can come to the fore.

NM

Good insight,...i must (dare i say it ?),...agree with a Pat. (LOL )
Real talk though,...we even handled Ben becoming the Starter with "Kid Gloves" (so to speak). Ben has natural athletic talent and courage that can't be taught. But he was raw as a passer and having to "learn on the fly" as well. But we played consevative (ie running the ball) and not asking for him to win games,...as much as make good decisions. This is a very good TEAM. And a great deal of Ben's success as a starter is because of this fact. Don't get me wrong he's very good and potentialy GREAT. But i think some of us blow thing's out of proportion in regards to Ben's stature as just simply a QB,.....not a Steeler.
I understand this though,....i (as well as many here) suffered terribly through the Bubby/ Kordell years,...and so many of us are happy to have a franchise Stud at the position.

In regards to us not packaging picks,.....well that's just buisness. Your coming off a World Championship with your core intact. Your thinking about that core's future status,....you gotta watch that "overhead".

Old 08-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #30
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightwriter07
And i dont think there was any misjudgement on any of the players the Steelers took.. we are loaded with vets and recent draft picks at most positions. We needed definately to fill the role of WR.... everything else was for the most part a luxery .. Smith was a nice nab.. but past the 3rd round.. just as next year ... will be trying to find a few gems like we always do. Some are obviously not gonan work out, not because they are aweful but hardto find room for them.

Your right Knight we do have the "Luxury" of Drafting STEELERS,.....as oppossed to just going after the "Sexy Pick"