Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
IamTheSteelGod
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1064
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default why do we still have this man on the team?

Polamalu's games have dwindled along with the turnovers. He has only had one full season in the past four years. Since 2009, Polamalu has played in 42 games and has missed 22.

2012 PIT 34 1.0 0 1
2011 PIT 64 1.0 0 2
2010 PIT 49 1.0 1 7

for the last 3 seasons he has done nothing as you can see. He is never there when needed. He doesnt even have that same game changing fear factor. He is more than a shadow of his former self. I wouldnt mind but ghe is very expensive against the cap. Key players last year took a cut and he didnt. James Harrison got released and he was alot more productive.

I think its time to let go. Before its way to late.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: why do we still have this man on the team?

I agree about silver back. I think he still has productivity. It's a shame that they couldn't work out a deal and it's an even bigger shame that the front office said they wouldn't even take Harrison back if he doesn't end up with another team. As far as pollamalu, I think this is his final chance to remain a steeler. If he goes down for half the seAson or moreagain I think they'll let him go. The man deserves another chance and let's face it, who we gonna grab that would be better than having troy. Tomlin sucks at getting the most out of his players so well just have another sub par player/s on our team instead of troy.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,017 Times in 407 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

the last few games of the season troy started to look like troy again. hopefully he can train properly in the off season and go into next year stronger and healthier. i do agree though, if he misses a significant amount of playing time this year than it might be time to release him
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vasteeler For This Useful Post:
VaDave (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I agree. Troy is way to overpaid for his production. Everyone wants to live in the past and on what he did before but I can't justify paying him that much money when he only plays 11-12 games a year and is usually injured half of them. He is my all time favorite Steeler but it's time to move on. We could of used that money to sign Dumervil and another Safety
Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,573 Times in 894 Posts

Using a cliché from boxing, " Da guyz one punch from Queersville".......

Troy has been on thin ice ( concussions) since he's been on the team, and he STILL leads with his head, as opposed to making sound form tackles, where the head is to the side, wrap up and lift diving the shoulders in to the ball carrier. It's ticking time bomb., Sadly, without divine intervention, he's going to be one of these guys donating his brain to science in about 20 years.

Lately he's had leg issues, primarily involving the Achilles tendon, that has slowed him down a bit, but significantly reduced his effective range. I'll agree towards the end of last year his play improved a great deal, but make no mistake, that was not the vintage 2005 Troy Palamalu we were seeing out there.

So why is this guy still on the team? Mainly because for whatever it is worth, or whatever Troy is worth, we are a better defense when he's in there, even if it's only 9-10 games a year. I think the million dollar question, or the $12+ million a year question, are we getting a good value?

Apparently the FO feels it is. We got some young players coming along, Golden, Vandyke, Victorian, young vets, Allen and Brown, and of course Clark. Clark even though he had a monster year back there in 2013, more than likely will be gone for 2014. If I were a betting man, we are going to draft at least one safety this year.

This means whoever is back there with Troy is either going to be Golden who will be a 3rd year player, and we all know what happens to 3yr players when their rookie contract is up, a draft pick from this year or the next. FO wants veteran presence.

Frankly, I'm thinking that Troy plays out his contract and rides of into the sunset as one of the best Steelers ever to play the game. He is a once in a lifetime talent. Enjoy what's left of him.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
the last few games of the season troy started to look like troy again. hopefully he can train properly in the off season and go into next year stronger and healthier. i do agree though, if he misses a significant amount of playing time this year than it might be time to release him

Well, he wasn't quite looking like the Troy of old completely - the attitude and head was there - but the playmaking ability was not.

The only reason i can come up with that he's still here is the combination of him being a leader of sorts and his stellar, legendary type of career. Even if its the right thing to do, it's hard for the team & city to part with him.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,028 Times in 7,609 Posts
My Mood: Dead

People always complain about these contracts. But, when the players pushed their salary back, and thus, were only earning $3 million per year, no one was complaining then.

I see it time & time again. A player signs a $6 million/year contract, but then... the team asks them to push back their salary to the end of the contract. So, the player plays for $3 million/year (while going to Pro Bowls). Then, a few years later, when the player is "less effective", fans scream that he's overpaid, because he's now being paid $9 million/year.

If these players hasn't pushed back some salary, many other players would have been let go (Timmons, Heath)... and everyone would have been calling the players greedy. Nope, they helped keep the core together... and still, people complain.

I understand that tough decisions eventually need to be made (someone HAS to be cut), but cutting a player is much different than "bashing" a player. It seems that instead of simply seeing a player get cut, fans feel the need to call them greedy and/or say that the players are stealing money. Look at the disdain for Harrison... who did nothing except want to play for the contract that the team agreed to pay him. And now, this same ire is focused on Troy.

Simply, the players can't win.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Bane (04-09-2013), Buddha Bus (04-09-2013), harrison'samonster (04-09-2013), SH-Rock (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
cutting a player is much different than "bashing" a player. It seems that instead of simply seeing a player get cut, fans feel the need to call them greedy and/or say that the players are stealing money.
or call them fat and lazy like Hampton. i'm always surprised at some of the wording ppl use, I guess they've been waiting years to see a succesful player fall so they can all swarm in and attack?
Vis (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Steeldude
Living Legend

Woodley is far worse than Polamalu. The entire cap is ruined because of that ridiculous contract. They should have let him walk instead of signing him.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,154 Posts

BECAUSE HIS HAIR IS WONDERFUL.

At least give me a lock before leaving, Troy.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote