Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
SteelPride1207
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16128
Default Paradox Problem

The problem is Todd Haley and our offensive scheme.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a quarterback whose strength is to buy time for making big plays downfield (pretty effective considering the Superbowl appearances).

Todd Haley's offensive focus is attacking the first 5 yards past the line of scrimmage (effectively ending the play) instead of setting up and attacking downfield.

Unfortunately for whomever is using that type of offensive scheme, the NFL now has rules that support passing downfield more than any other phase of the game. This is why all the top quarterbacks with offensive coordinators were the best teams last year.

Even the "vomit" Batlimore "vomit" Ravens and their dildo for a QB, were able to excel because their passing game excelled the moment former Indianapolis QB then Head Coach, Jim Caldwell, took over from Cam Cameron. Jim's focus on dildo passing downfield and opening up the passing attack...were the #1 reason why Baltimore reached and won the Superbowl last year. This is also why Bruce Arians did so well in Indianapolis with a solid rookie QB. Both these guys were offensive passing guru's who focused on passing the ball and more importantly, passing downfield.

The paradox problem for the Steelers is this....

Drafting for Todd Haley's "five yards past the line of scrimmage" offense can really screw up this draft and the future of offense. Getting offensive skills players to fit a system that does not play to the strengths of our QB is...well...stupid.

But...not drafting Todd Haley players means the Steelers will continue to play underneath the higher more potent passing teams in the league.

This is why I hope that the Steelers focus hard on the defensive end of the ball to help minimize the damage that would occur in the long run by taking "Todd Haley' kind of players".
SteelPride1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,157 Times in 456 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Paradox Problem

i thought we doing pretty well until ben got hurt.....for the 500th time
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vasteeler For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (04-10-2013), Fire Arians (04-10-2013), harrison'samonster (04-09-2013), lloydwoodson (04-09-2013), pittpete (04-09-2013), SH-Rock (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,134 Posts
My Mood: Fine

like most paradoxes, yours is also an invalid argument, however, still important to the critical thinking and discussion that comes from the topic of Todd Haley's approach v. Ben's strengths that permeates 75% of the threads.

I think this is your opinion - a paradox statement. Well, that's just my opinion. And, damn I got myself messed up now - but, you get the point - well, maybe that's my opinion!

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-09-2013), harrison'samonster (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
i thought we doing pretty well until ben got hurt.....for the 500th time
They had three good games.... for the 1000th time.

The playoff games should've been an indication how behind the times the Steelers are when it comes to offensive philosophies, as well as the fact most of the playoff teams weren't even in the top 5 in time of possession. Baltimore was 30th if I recall.

It's not a grind-it-out-and-impose-your-will possession league anymore, it's a score often and score quickly league. No, that's not something the Steelers dictate, the NFL dictates that. If the Steelers continue to try and fight it, they'll continue to be mediocre.

But hey, Artie is always right!

STILLERZ GUTTA RUN DA BALL N'AT!
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,337 Times in 4,143 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
They had three good games.... for the 1000th time.

The playoff games should've been an indication how behind the times the Steelers are when it comes to offensive philosophies, as well as the fact most of the playoff teams weren't even in the top 5 in time of possession. Baltimore was 30th if I recall.

It's not a grind-it-out-and-impose-your-will possession league anymore, it's a score often and score quickly league. No, that's not something the Steelers dictate, the NFL dictates that. If the Steelers continue to try and fight it, they'll continue to be mediocre.

But hey, Artie is always right!

STILLERZ GUTTA RUN DA BALL N'AT!
I'll be honest I wasn't going to read your whole response. But then I did and I've got to say, I wish I hadn't bothered.
Buddha Bus (04-09-2013), jacobo (04-11-2013), lloydwoodson (04-09-2013), teegre (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I'll be honest I wasn't going to read your whole response. But then I did and I've got to say, I wish I hadn't bothered.
*hands you some black and gold pom-poms*
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,600 Times in 699 Posts

Well, if we didn't get rid of...

...never mind.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Well, if we didn't get rid of...

...never mind.
But Artie says you have to run the ball! It doesn't matter that the rest of the NFL is going in the opposite direction! Someone with the last name Rooney said something, so it must be right!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,134 Posts
My Mood: Fine

nothing new will come from this thread - already decided it

Here's to you GoFor7 and our never-ending battle!

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPride1207 View Post
Todd Haley's offensive focus is attacking the first 5 yards past the line of scrimmage (effectively ending the play) instead of setting up and attacking downfield.

Unfortunately for whomever is using that type of offensive scheme, the NFL now has rules that support passing downfield more than any other phase of the game. This is why all the top quarterbacks with offensive coordinators were the best teams last year.
Funny... I seem to remember a certain Haley-led offense in Arizona being pretty good a couple of years ago with a passable (pun intended) QB at the helm.

I mean, they were OK, but they didn't get to the Super B.... oh wait, nevermind.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (04-10-2013), harrison'samonster (04-09-2013), Lokki (04-09-2013), teegre (04-09-2013)