Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Gamer Chat


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Hammer67
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Hammer67's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Boston, MI (originally from Moon Township, PA)
Posts: 1,988
Gender: Male
Member Number: 651
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

Just tried out Madden 07 on the regular X-Box and I must say that I am totally unimpressed. I have been a long time Madden player (Back in the Sega Genesis days!). I loved Super Tecmo Bowl before it.

When I first tried Sega's ESPN 2K series, I was blown away by how refreshing it was and the 2K5 game from two years ago was, and still is, the greatest football game ever made. All EA does with Madden si provide a roster update and some goofy feature like QB passing cones each year. Gameplay on 07 is basically the same that it was on 03. Since the NFL gave EA exclusive rights to Madden, I was depressed. I know EA will just be content with offering up a roster update and charging another $40.

Gripes with Madden07:

- Dialogue is the same as previous years
- Graphics and animations are basically the same
- Gameplay is the same (although you actually have blockers on punt returns now)
- Camera angles and replays are the same?can't we get a better presentation?


Maybe they are taking the if it ain't broke then don't fix it path, but the Sega series seemed so much more innovative with things like the ESPN license and making the games feel like a broadcast. Remember the Chris Berman halftime show??!!

Oh well?time to update the ESPN NFL 2K5 rosters and schedule and begin another season on it!

For those looking to get it, unless you want to play the superstar mode, skip it and use Madden 06 or, better yet, ESPN 2K5 with roster updates and you got the same game.
__________________


"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

Hammer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter
 
PisnNapalm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Spring City, PA
Posts: 2,776
Member Number: 1225
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

I just picked up my copy of Madden 07 for the Nintendo DS. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet.

You may be wondering why I got it for the DS? I drive a school bus part time. I often have down time where I sit for 10-20 minutes at a shot. Usually I read a book during that time, but last year I bought a DS for myself. I enjoyed Madden 06 alot on the DS.

Both of my kids have DS's as well.
__________________
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson
Μολὼν λάβε
PisnNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter
 
BlackNGold203's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 2,193
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm
I just picked up my copy of Madden 07 for the Nintendo DS. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet.

You may be wondering why I got it for the DS? I drive a school bus part time. I often have down time where I sit for 10-20 minutes at a shot. Usually I read a book during that time, but last year I bought a DS for myself. I enjoyed Madden 06 alot on the DS.

Both of my kids have DS's as well.
Rock on with the DS Napalm!!!


LOL..my daughter wants one for christmas.....
__________________
BlackNGold203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer
 
AZ_Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 209
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2700
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67
Just tried out Madden 07 on the regular X-Box and I must say that I am totally unimpressed. I have been a long time Madden player (Back in the Sega Genesis days!). I loved Super Tecmo Bowl before it.

When I first tried Sega's ESPN 2K series, I was blown away by how refreshing it was and the 2K5 game from two years ago was, and still is, the greatest football game ever made. All EA does with Madden si provide a roster update and some goofy feature like QB passing cones each year. Gameplay on 07 is basically the same that it was on 03. Since the NFL gave EA exclusive rights to Madden, I was depressed. I know EA will just be content with offering up a roster update and charging another $40.

Gripes with Madden07:

- Dialogue is the same as previous years
- Graphics and animations are basically the same
- Gameplay is the same (although you actually have blockers on punt returns now)
- Camera angles and replays are the same?can't we get a better presentation?


Maybe they are taking the if it ain't broke then don't fix it path, but the Sega series seemed so much more innovative with things like the ESPN license and making the games feel like a broadcast. Remember the Chris Berman halftime show??!!

Oh well?time to update the ESPN NFL 2K5 rosters and schedule and begin another season on it!

For those looking to get it, unless you want to play the superstar mode, skip it and use Madden 06 or, better yet, ESPN 2K5 with roster updates and you got the same game.
I'm with you on the 2K5 season!!!! It's a real shame though that EA felt preasure from the 2K series so they bought the exclusive rights.

Exclusive Rights = "We can produce crap and everyone will still buy it"
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer
 
AZ_Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 209
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2700
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm
I just picked up my copy of Madden 07 for the Nintendo DS. I haven't had much time to mess with it yet.

You may be wondering why I got it for the DS? I drive a school bus part time. I often have down time where I sit for 10-20 minutes at a shot. Usually I read a book during that time, but last year I bought a DS for myself. I enjoyed Madden 06 alot on the DS.

Both of my kids have DS's as well.
A cool game for the DS is Brain Age. I have one myself and it sure makes the long road trips go by faster
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter
 
PisnNapalm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Spring City, PA
Posts: 2,776
Member Number: 1225
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

Our daughter wanted a DS in the worst way for Christmas last year. Santa managed to find the money for it. ;)

I found myself playing the Mario Kart game alot and decided to get one for myself once my wife got her yearly bonus. Her bonus was excellent so we got one for our son as well.

They are alot of fun to play in the car on long trips. The wireless game play is fantastic! Mario Kart never fails to amuse us for atleast an hour in the car.

I did try the "game" Brain Age. I liked the premise behind it but I found it lacking. The voice recognition never worked for me. I wonder if my voice is just too deep for it to pick up well. I dunno. After 2 days of trying to use it, I took it back.

I have several GBA game for it too. (GBA = Game Boy Advance) Dr. Mario is alot of fun. I also have two Street Fighter games.


As for Madden 07... Here are my initial thought on it for the DS.

1. I hate the new kick off procedure. You use the stylus to select the start point and end point of your kick. Then you have to rapidly draw a line between the 2 and hope for the best. I definitely prefer last version kick offs.

2. I selected the Steelers as my favorite team. Now on all of the menu screens there's a shot of a Steeler's player. Troy, Hines, or Wille. I like that.

3. The controls for running with the ball are slightly different. You can't straight arm anymore. :o( Most everything else seems the same or I haven't noticed any changes yet.

4. In Madden 06 the main action took place on the upper screen. In Madden 07 it's on the lower screen. I think I would prefer if they hadn't changed this.

5. In 06 when you went to select a play you had 6 choices on the screen and could scroll up or down for the others. In 07 you get only 3 choices and have to scroll more to get to the others. :o( I don't like this.

6. The character models and graphics seem to be about the same as Madden 06. I don't know if it's possible to make them any better.

7. The commentary seems very bland and no different from last year. I wasn't impressed with it last year either so ... Atleast it's not worse IMO.

8. It has Hines Ward doing kick off returns??!! WTF? I'm gonna change that I think.

I'll post more after I play for a few days. These were just my initial thoughts.
__________________
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson
Μολὼν λάβε
PisnNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend
 
83-Steelers-43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,993
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

I bought it for PS2. No Willie Reid on the roster?

With the exception of the team/player ratings, I have no complaints.
__________________
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Stillers#1
Banned
 
Stillers#1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in Spokane, WA because fo the Air Force.
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1082
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

I bought it for the 360 today. I am still learning the new buttons and everything, but I really like the way they set up the run game, with the different jukes and everything. Like I sadi, I am still learning, but I think this has great potential if I ever get good at it.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter
 
BlackNGold203's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 2,193
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

I was actually gonna buy this and commandeer my daughters xbox....LOL

Never had a Madden game before....maybe I'll do it
__________________
BlackNGold203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend
 
83-Steelers-43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,993
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh well...Madden 07 letdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
I was actually gonna buy this and commandeer my daughters xbox....LOL

Never had a Madden game before....maybe I'll do it
Go for it BNG203. Once you start you won't be able to stop. I'm not a big video game person, but I love messing around with Madden. My advice, have a couple or ten beers while playing.
__________________
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts