Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Gamer Chat

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 08-15-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700
Cool How big of a "Gaming Enthusiasts" are you?

It appears MicroSoft will be releasing software soon for people to write their own games and try them out on the XBOX 360, the only catch is you will need to cough up $99 to join some group...

I thought I wouldn't be buying the 360 and would just retire with my original XBox, but since I'm a Software Engineer by day and a gamer by night I might just need to look into this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...60_games_devt/

By Tony Smith
Published Monday 14th August 2006 09:13 GMT

Microsoft today pledged to bring Xbox 360 programming to the masses, but ordinary folk will have to wait until the end of this month to get their hands on the tools they'll need to get coding for the console. Professionals will get a version in Spring 2007, the software giant said.

Microsoft will ship a pre-release beta version of XNA Game Studio Express on 30 August. The software will be be free, and runs on Windows XP. There's a catch: to test code on an Xbox 360, users will have to cough up $99 a year to join Microsoft's XNA users group, an online forum that will provide documentation and a game-sharing facility to allow other users to test unfinished titles. The software can also be used to create Windows XP games, Microsoft said.

Of course, XBA Game Studio simply allows game creators to program code and then build in audio and visual content into a final, playable game. Developers will still need a range of other, third-party tools and, in some cases, middleware.

The final version of XNA Game Studio Express will be available this coming Christmas, with the pro-oriented version following three or four months down the line from that.

To date, console development has largely been closed to individuals and smaller software developers, largely because of the cost of acquiring console vendors' software development kits. The difficulties of CD-only distribution - let alone cartridge production - have also hindered amateur console game creation. Connected consoles finally allow a route for small-scale developers to offer their work.

While XNA Games Studio Express may not generate many top-tier games, it will make possible a variety of lesser titles of the kind computer users are well used to downloading as freeware or shareware.

Indeed, it's this kind of arena Microsoft is undoubtedly hoping to establish, the better to attract games to its console family and associated online services. There are plenty of folk out there put off buying a console because of the cost of commercial games. The presence of a range of more basic, but cheaper titles might just be what's needed to encourage them to start console gaming.

Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 08-15-2006 at 11:29 AM.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: How big of a "Gaming Enthusiasts" are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
It appears MicroSoft will be releasing software soon for people to write their own games and try them out on the XBOX 360, the only catch is you will need to cough up $99 to join some group...

I thought I wouldn't be buying the 360 and would just retire with my original XBox, but since I'm a Software Engineer by day and a gamer by night I might just need to look into this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...60_games_devt/

By Tony Smith
Published Monday 14th August 2006 09:13 GMT

Microsoft today pledged to bring Xbox 360 programming to the masses, but ordinary folk will have to wait until the end of this month to get their hands on the tools they'll need to get coding for the console. Professionals will get a version in Spring 2007, the software giant said.

Microsoft will ship a pre-release beta version of XNA Game Studio Express on 30 August. The software will be be free, and runs on Windows XP. There's a catch: to test code on an Xbox 360, users will have to cough up $99 a year to join Microsoft's XNA users group, an online forum that will provide documentation and a game-sharing facility to allow other users to test unfinished titles. The software can also be used to create Windows XP games, Microsoft said.

Of course, XBA Game Studio simply allows game creators to program code and then build in audio and visual content into a final, playable game. Developers will still need a range of other, third-party tools and, in some cases, middleware.

The final version of XNA Game Studio Express will be available this coming Christmas, with the pro-oriented version following three or four months down the line from that.

To date, console development has largely been closed to individuals and smaller software developers, largely because of the cost of acquiring console vendors' software development kits. The difficulties of CD-only distribution - let alone cartridge production - have also hindered amateur console game creation. Connected consoles finally allow a route for small-scale developers to offer their work.

While XNA Games Studio Express may not generate many top-tier games, it will make possible a variety of lesser titles of the kind computer users are well used to downloading as freeware or shareware.

Indeed, it's this kind of arena Microsoft is undoubtedly hoping to establish, the better to attract games to its console family and associated online services. There are plenty of folk out there put off buying a console because of the cost of commercial games. The presence of a range of more basic, but cheaper titles might just be what's needed to encourage them to start console gaming.
You're a software engineer? Nice, that's one of the careers I've been considering going into. Exactly what kind of coding would go into an XBOX 360? I've always wondered that.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
AZ_Steeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2700

Take a look at this article it will probably answer all your questions you ever had about the XBOX 360, at least the "what makes it tick?"

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/mattlee.ars/3

Yes, I'm a big ole' geeky computer software engineer. If it is something you are looking to get into or have any questions about let me know.
AZ_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

sounds like fun! i played with being a 'coder' for a while. i'm now sticking to tech support/sys admin/web design. i still like goofing off with actionscript, etc, so i'll continue to do web design stuff when i can.

i did this on friday night: SteelHeadz Splash Page.

big fireworks fan. never got too much into photoshop, when i did try it out i was already too ingrained in fireworks to change my ways. lol :) oh well...it's all good.

anyone know of any tech jobs in the burgh? ;) seriously....