Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-22-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Cowher not happy with camp

Cowher not entirely happy with camp and he shows it

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher isn't worried about the Super Bowl champions' 0-2 preseason record. What he doesn't like is how they've gone about losing those two games.
Turnovers inside the opponent's 20-yard line. Missed blocks. Pass routes that weren't run correctly, and defenses that were improperly read. Too many penalties and missed third-down opportunities.

That's why Cowher was more animated than usual during practice Monday, once yelling loudly at his linemen during a 9-on-7 drill. The Steelers also practiced in pads, something they almost never do two days after a game.

With the Saint Vincent College training camp running only three more days, and the Sept. 7 season opener against Miami slightly more than two weeks away, Cowher wants his team regaining its championship mindset. Soon.

"We're not where we need to be," Cowher said. "We've been on the edge a little bit, with our pass protection the other night, and a guy here and a guy there in the running game. We've set too high a standard around here, and we're much better than we performed the other night. As I've always said, you can't turn this thing on and off, and we've got to take it up a notch."

One player Cowher won't fault for the uneven preseason to date is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who threw a touchdown pass six plays into the Steelers' opening possession of a 17-10 loss to Minnesota on Saturday night. Roethlisberger was pulled after that, though the offensive line starters played most of the rest of the half.

"Ben's had an excellent camp ? he's been very good, very accurate, (good) with the decision making. I'm very pleased with where he's at," Cowher said.

To Cowher, the third exhibition game is always the most important because the starters play longer. The regulars figure to play most of the first half Friday night at Philadelphia, a switch from the earlier two games when Roethlisberger and most of the skill-position offensive starters played only one series each.

"It's a short week this week and, as I told the guys, we've got to continue to make progress and take faster steps," Cowher said. "The game the other day, we did some things well but not consistently. There were things we can learn from. There were some strides made, but we still have a way to go."

He didn't mean Cowher Way, either ? the alleyway near his family's house in suburban Crafton that was renamed for him in May. Two street signs designating the alley were stolen over the weekend, though one was recovered Monday.

"I don't think it was my brothers or parents (who took them)," Cowher said, smiling. "Hopefully, they'll get it replaced. When that's making headlines, I guess we're not playing that badly."

Notes: The Steelers have afternoon practices again Tuesday and Wednesday, the final two days that camp will be open to the public. They will hold only a walkthrough drill Thursday before breaking camp and heading to Philadelphia. Cowher said, "It (the season) is getting close, and our players have to understand the sense of urgency that's needed, start approaching these practices with the focus that's needed." ... C Chukky Okobi (neck) could play Aug. 31 against Carolina, or much earlier than was expected when he was hurt two weeks ago. Initially, Okobi was told the injury might be career-threatening.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775
Default Re: Cowher not happy with camp

GO GET'UM COWHER.....
I totally agree with Cowher, the team needs to get back in form
It's not like it's a NEW team out there, Shake off the Rust and kick some Butt!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

This team will be ready Sept 7....

take it to the bank...

Old 08-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
This team will be ready Sept 7....

take it to the bank...

I agree completely. I believe certain aspects of this team could look a little better at this point in time, but I'm not at all worried. Like I stated in the "backup D" thread, come September 7th the vanilla defensive schemes will be thrown out the window and the gloves will come off. We are not going to tip our hand during a couple of preseason games.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I agree completely. I believe certain aspects of this team could look a little better at this point in time, but I'm not at all worried. Like I stated in the "backup D" thread, come September 7th the vanilla defensive schemes will be thrown out the window and the gloves will come off. We are not going to tip our hand during a couple of preseason games.
Totally agreeeeeeee!!!
Cant wait for September 7th
But I like the fact that Cowher is pushing, shows he still got the drive for 6
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I have no worries about this team when the season opens on September 7th. Cowher will have them ready, no doubt about it. It's great to see that Cowher continues to have that raging inferno within himself and hasn't missed a beat when demanding hard work and gut from his players. That's the Bill Cowher way and has always been the Pittsburgh Steelers way.

SIC' 'EM BILL!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesteel4life
But I like the fact that Cowher is pushing, shows he still got the drive for 6
No doubt. I believe the majority of what Cowher has to say is a complete mental game towards the players. He could be content, but he very rarely shows it.

He might throw them a bone every once in a while (example: http://news.steelers.com/article/67509/ ).

But in order to keep them level headed and not complacent, I believe he tends to downplay their accomplishments to a degree. Just my opinion/theory.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #8
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

I'm chosing to believe all of you that these guys WILL be ready for that game. I'm continuing with my "it's only preseason" mantra. I know that you are right. To think anything else would make for an excruciatingly long season with all of these Bengal fans....and I refuse to do it. (lol)

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

If they aren't careful, Cowher's going to be throwing that Chin around a lot more and way before the first game.

These guys do look rusty but I know it's only pre-season. I'll lay the real judgement for the last pre-season game. If they look as bad then as they have these last two games, then I'll unleash the hounds!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
No doubt. I believe the majority of what Cowher has to say is a complete mental game towards the players. He could be content, but he very rarely shows it.

He might throw them a bone every once in a while (example: http://news.steelers.com/article/67509/ ).

But in order to keep them level headed and not complacent, I believe he tends to downplay their accomplishments to a degree. Just my opinion/theory.
i think your opinion/theory is dead on. i could be wrong but i always though cowher was a psychology major in college. he seems like the coach who will rip someone infront of all the teamates and voice his displeasure and then pull that player aside a little later and give them a little one on one to instruct them how to correct their mistakes in a more "friendly" manner.

just like in the superbowl dvd when hes talking and joknig with duce and jerome on the sidelines. they were like "were killing them" and cowher was like "no, we keep screwing it up". duce and jerome just laughed. "ok "
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote