Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #21
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,455 Times in 4,030 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Steelers could find value at tight end

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I could see that but the Steelers would be wise to take a look
I would love to see the Steelers sign him as an UDFA, we've had quite a bit of luck with doing that over the years.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #22
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,769 Times in 1,150 Posts

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Kiper says it, it isn't happening.

Kiss Eifert goodbye.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #23
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Kiper says it, it isn't happening.

Kiss Eifert goodbye.
He makes a guess like everyone else. Nobody making mocks have any idea whatsoever what the Steelers will do because they have never seen our draft board.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #24
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Two schools of thought:

1. Plug holes.
2. Build on your strength.

I prefer the latter. Ben is our strength regardless if the defense was #1 on paper. I say let's give him weapons. IMO it's our best chance of winning.
Ben is a 1 time Probowler. The Steelers lost a 1 time NFL DPOY this year.

I am of the mindset that the Steelers league-leading defenses have year in and year out given them the best chance of winning.

It shocks me how many people think the consistently inconsistent offense which puts up 20-23 lackluster points year after year is the team's strength.

The 2008 draft was made possible from exactly this ideology that Ben needs weapons.

This is the first year Ben has not had weapons. I still think the Steelers can put up 21 points per game so it will be business as usual.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I've said on here, numerous times, that I'd like to see a tall pass-catcher added to the roster. In the red-zone, the offense sputtered... and essentially, only Heath was catching TDs. Thus, I figure that a tall WR (Woods, Swope) or a TE (Eifert, Ertz, Escobar) would help with scoring TDs (instead of FGs). And, Escobar's strength is being able to catch the ball while covered... which makes him the perfect red-zone target.

I watched Escobar as a sophomore (when he had a decent QB: Ryan Lindley), and saw a player that I wanted on the Steelers. As a junior, his QB was "eh", and thus, Escobar looked less than stellar. BUT, because of his average junior season (not his fault), he has dropped down a round. Thus, Escobar has early-R2 talent, but will be acquired by a team in R3.

Oh... and, Eifert at 17 is a legitimate possibility.
teegre, got a question for you.

You said on that "Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft" that "the Steelers run a two-TE on 50% of their plays."

Now, just from watching the games, I believe that to be an accurate statement. But did you ever see that stat anywhere? I can't find any stats on that.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #26
Varg
Water Boy

Member Number: 24834

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

I am of the mindset that the Steelers league-leading defenses have year in and year out given them the best chance of winning.

It shocks me how many people think the consistently inconsistent offense which puts up 20-23 lackluster points year after year is the team's strength.

The 2008 draft was made possible from exactly this ideology that Ben needs weapons.

This is the first year Ben has not had weapons. I still think the Steelers can put up 21 points per game so it will be business as usual.
Agree with you about the defense but there comes a point where we have to get this inconsistent offense on the right track. To me it feels that its more defensive scheme from our coordinator then pure talent on defense. We have mostly been playing the bend but not break defense where we just give up little dink and dunk passes until either the offense makes a mistake and punts, or we get pressure and get a sack. Im all in for reloading the offense this year with guys like eifert, Bell, and Hopkins. Sprinkle in a underrated corner and linebacker in the late rounds to learn the system and also help fill spots on special teams.
Varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #27
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,580 Times in 2,376 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post

Kiss Eifert goodbye.
i'm thinking with the signing of spaeth, we won't be picking a TE until later rounds, but i could be wrong.

on that note it's almost time we look at our next potential starter at TE since heath is getting up there in age
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

I never said that the offense was our strength. I said that Ben was our strength - our best player. The scenario you just described is another 8-8 season. No thanks.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,965 Times in 7,589 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
teegre, got a question for you.

You said on that "Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft" that "the Steelers run a two-TE on 50% of their plays."

Now, just from watching the games, I believe that to be an accurate statement. But did you ever see that stat anywhere? I can't find any stats on that.
It was something I heard, a few years ago, during pregame, when Nantz or Michaels was talking about Pittsburgh's starting line-up.

Most teams list their linemen (5 players) their QB & RB (7 players), followed by their TE (8 players) and then, either three receivers OR two receivers & a fullback. The Steelers listed two WRs and two TEs.

Thus, the announcers were discussing how Pittsburgh's second TE was a "starter", because the Steelers lined up in a two-TE set more than half of the time. [Note: Likewise, the Chargers started listing their second TE as a starter, and (obviously), the Taperiots do as well.]

Anyway, Haley likes the TE... and thus, the two-TE set is used a lot in his offense. Ergo, my desire for the Three BIG E's.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Me personally I would love for our #1 defense to drop out of the top 5 spots and move out of the bottom of the league in creating turnovers and actually score a defensive TD more than once every two years.

Defense has kept us in games for years, playing good D and crating some turnovers, but rankings aside our defense has not done alot of things that help your team offensively. No defensive scores, no turnovers creating easier scores for your offense, sacks are down, QB pressures are down. We rant about the offense but how many of us are really confident with a slim lead and the other team with the ball late in the game? I think we need a game changer on defense and then look to improve on offense. We need a running game so bad its not even funny. Ben has made due with less at WR than what we have on the roster now, and Mendy for at least a couple of years was a serviceable back.

Offensively we need #1 Ben healthy, #2 A game plan by Haley that uses our best weapons, #3 A healthy and consistent Oline, #4 A RB or Backs that can get more than 3.7 yards per carry ( Jags were without MJD nost of the season and won two games had 3.8). #5 Less turnovers, drops, and penalties that shoot us in the foot.
If the offensive can do this then the defense can relax a little and play the bend but dont break system they have the last two years.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote