Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,599 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic
Thumbs up The arguement for offense early and often:

While i agree the team needs apprentices at all 3 levels of the defense to eventually replace our aging members , I believe our D will still compete this year. besides if we draft any of the available defensive guys at the 17th pick will they even see the field this year ? Maybe Foote could be unseated but in our system doubtful. Now i definitely wouldnt ignore our defensive needs in the draft , however , I would prefer to pick them in the later rounds and use this year as their learning year assuming at least a few of them will have to play next year. A majority of the defensive players brought in for pre draft visits are considered in rounds 2-7 . One of the few exceptions ive seen is Jarvis Jones. ( maybe he could unseat Worilds , but doubtful in his 1st year ) . We usually develop good players in our defensive scheme , now its paramount we do it faster.

Ben haters , like it or not , he is our best chance to get to and win another Superbowl. Sure he played poorly in his first attempt , but his play in that playoff run got us there. And yes Holmes was mvp in the 2nd one , but damn it somebody threw it to him. ...and he made it look easy playing pitch and catch while scrambling around and alluding defenders. all im saying is , He needs immediate help. we have maybe 5 good years left with him at the helm. and we all know from the long stretch from Bradshaw to ben , as great as our defenses were we never got to the big game. We need our line to stay healthy and gel and block for our new rb whoever that may be and protect ben. If we get our running game going consistently like we did for that brief stretch before the injuries mounted we have a shot next year and every year. That being said , Rb, Wr , Te , O line depth are all major needs. We need points in todays nfl and the right Te , Rb , or lineman if cooper or warmack falls could all provide immediate impact this year . on the other hand a defensive player will most likely make his impact felt on special teams and keeping the bench warm this year. cheers all just my two cents.
Steelstoned1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelstoned1972 For This Useful Post:
desertsteel (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Steelstoned1972
Supporter

Default Re: The arguement for offense early and often:

If the bpa avail on our board when Our pick comes up happens to be a defensive player so be it. Bottom line our offense needs play makers
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

I agree the Offense needs play makers , but the defense also needs ppl who can create turnovers

This is how I want the draft to go ... trade back to Atlanta or San Fran for an extra 2nd ... and whatever else is just extra

1 - FS David Amerson / ILB Khaseem Greene
2 - ILB Khaseem Greene / FS David Amerson
2 - DB Tyrann Mathieu
3 - QB/TE/WR/RB
4 - QB/TE/WR/RB
5 -QB/TE/WR/RB
6 - QB/TE/WR/RB
6 - Oline
7 - OLB Jayson DiManche

You're first 3 will be able to get the ball back for the Offense , as well as be major players on special teams ... We can't go into the season with Larry Foote starting and expect to win ... Need to create turnovers which will give Ben more chances and in better situations to score
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a wideout in round one or two. Like you said, Ben is the strength and centerpiece of this team, and given the current climate in the NFL (where the QB and the offense are key) it would serve us well to build around him with young offensive firepower.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Steelstoned1972
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a wideout in round one or two. Like you said, Ben is the strength and centerpiece of this team, and given the current climate in the NFL (where the QB and the offense are key) it would serve us well to build around him with young offensive firepower.
I honestly don't know that I'm crazy about Patterson (raw) or Austin (size) but a highly ranked Rb, wr, Te who can start immediately sounds enticing. Eifert , Cooper, Warmack in the first ......Bell , Hopkins, Ertz , Woods, Franklin , hunter, Rogers , Thomas in the second or 3rd , Any stud in the 4th and beyond thank u !
Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

The closer we get to the draft the more I think we are going to draft Eifert. And I will be very happy. Patterson has lots of red flags. His ceiling is high but his floor is too low. I'd be happy with Tavon too but I think he doesn't get past StL at 16.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
pete74 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
The closer we get to the draft the more I think we are going to draft Eifert. And I will be very happy. Patterson has lots of red flags. His ceiling is high but his floor is too low. I'd be happy with Tavon too but I think he doesn't get past StL at 16.
desert, brah, you're going to have to explain to me why we'd take a Tight End in the first round, if at all. I'd think that if we were to trade down, picking up someone like Matt Elam or Alec Ogletree in the first would make more sense. Or if you're keen on playmakers, someone like Keenan Allen or DeAndre Hopkins.

I have to be missing something not only on our roster but about this kid as a prospect.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

I think that Eifert is a better prospect than Pattesrson. IMO he would play immediately and give Ben a big target even when Heath returned. Have you seen what these types of TEs have done for NO and NE? I'm not the only one high on him. I've seen several mock drafts with him going to TB at 13. My only concern with going defense is that they will sit for two years. I want an offensive weapon and no way do we take a RB that high. If Tavon is gone I believe Eifert is the best fit.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
TheVet (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,936 Times in 9,370 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I have to be missing something not only on our roster but about this kid as a prospect.
Eifert lines up & plays both WR and TE. He truly is a hybrid. His blocking is average, but teams have a difficult time covering him. Heck, while the rest of Notre Dame was getting abused, Eifert had a decent game against Alabama.

BB loves throwing to his TEs. Haley loves the TE. Heath is not assured of being 100% healthy by September. Add a little salt... shake vigorously... and voila!... you have a TE picked in this draft (at some point).

All of that said, if Atlanta wants to give up their R2 pick, in order to move up for Eifert (he would make their passing game insane), then I'd trade back.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Steelstoned1972 (04-19-2013), TheVet (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

There is a real great way to increase the sacks and turnovers the defense can get this season and you don't even have to draft a superstar defensive player or come up with a scheme to do it.

It's called build a big lead on your opponent. Make them one dimensional and forced to pass the ball on every down so your rushers won't have to think about run or pass. Make them make mistakes by trying to do too much to overcome the deficit.

This team could be in for the worst losing streak in years if they think running the football and playing games close is the way to go in this current NFL. This draft will tell me a lot. The Two TE attack? TD makers Cordarelle Paterson or Tavon Austin? The kind of RB? A Leveon Bell who is a giant and can't be effective going east west or a Jonathan Franklin type? Playmakers, TD makers.

Explosion. Explosion. Explosion. This team did not make the playoffs last year because of their offense and that was with Mike Wallace. Build leads through explosion. Protect leads with a punishing Run game that when you least expect it explodes for another big pass play to put the nail in the coffin. They better get playmakers on that side of the ball and to guarantee that as much as possible it better be as this post correctly states,

"EARLY AND OFTEN".
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingmagyar For This Useful Post:
Steelstoned1972 (04-19-2013)