Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,748 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: The arguement for offense early and often:

defense will still be fine, I'm 100% confident in cortez allen and believe he is more talented than keenan, and will be better.

offense worries me a little more, but i think signing sanders will keep ben enough targets. cotchery is solid as well, and something in my head is telling me that plax has 1 or 2 seasons more in him. I think our offense will be fine if we get a decent playmaker at running back.

Offense stalled last year due to #1 - injuries to the o-line, and #2 - no one who caused ANY fear in any defense at RB, and #3 - ben's life-threatening injury. Drafting a RB in rds 1-3 is almost a must, and our o-line has to make it through a season without getting banged up. O-line staying healthy will mean more safety for ben obviously, but sometimes he has to throw the ball away if there's no play there (which would have prevented the injury last year, was hit when well out of the pocket)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Steelstoned1972 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,557 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
There is a real great way to increase the sacks and turnovers the defense can get this season and you don't even have to draft a superstar defensive player or come up with a scheme to do it.

It's called build a big lead on your opponent. Make them one dimensional and forced to pass the ball on every down so your rushers won't have to think about run or pass. Make them make mistakes by trying to do too much to overcome the deficit.

This team could be in for the worst losing streak in years if they think running the football and playing games close is the way to go in this current NFL. This draft will tell me a lot. The Two TE attack? TD makers Cordarelle Paterson or Tavon Austin? The kind of RB? A Leveon Bell who is a giant and can't be effective going east west or a Jonathan Franklin type? Playmakers, TD makers.

Explosion. Explosion. Explosion. This team did not make the playoffs last year because of their offense and that was with Mike Wallace. Build leads through explosion. Protect leads with a punishing Run game that when you least expect it explodes for another big pass play to put the nail in the coffin. They better get playmakers on that side of the ball and to guarantee that as much as possible it better be as this post correctly states,

"EARLY AND OFTEN".
AGREED. Our defense will be fine. we can groom later round picks for the future. Eiffert ,Austin, Cooper , patterson, Warmack in the first unless the bpa avail is a defender. In the 2nd or third Bell , Lacy , Franklin , Woods , Hopkins, Ertz , Escobar , Bernard. I like some players over others but Ill take whoever. just give us playmakers Damn it ! We have alot of tds to replace with wallace gone and miller out for awhile.
Steelstoned1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Agreed on the need to improve the offense!

In round #1, I'd LOVE a TE or a top-notch guard or tackle. We need a TE, and we need one more year of addressing the OL. But clearly we also need a WR, and a RB (but that can wait for round 5 or so, or we could even pick one up outside the draft). The only thing that would really be awful would be to waste an early pick on a RB.

But remember folks, we've got big holes in the D as well. I think we definitely need to address S, but that's not all - looking kind of thin at LB and CB too. And LB. And even DL, when you think about it.

Damn, it's best not to think about it. At least the best player available will be a theme that works this year.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Roethlisberger has never made the playoffs without a top 5 scoring defense.

If the defense fails the Steelers are over.

Whatever has to happen for the defense to be successful needs to happen.

NT, S or ILB 1st round.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #15
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,557 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

I guess we could debate this for days lol. This is Sorta like the chicken or the egg debate. It is very difficult , when we are faced with more question marks than ever before. I guess bpa at a position of need is truly all we can hope for. Damn , imagine being in their draft room....if we can't come up with any resemblance of a consensus , I reckon there at each others throats. .....I think I'll go back to sleeep now and resume my dream where we traded back twice in the first and stockpiled young talent on both sides of the ball. I don't remember who went first or who went where.....but I remember it was a good dream !
Steelstoned1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,758 Times in 8,644 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I am a firm believer in the 80-20 principle.

Often, people are good at something (80% effective), but not so good at other things (20% effective). In turn, most people spend inordinate amounts of time working on those things that they do not do well (they try to improve that 20%). Alas, most of the time, people rarely improve that 20% much, if at all.

Whereas, if people focus on their strengths (the 89%), often they can indeed show improvement (nearing 95%).

BB's offense is & has been been ranked 20th in almost every season; whereas, the defense has been averaging a top five ranking. The offense is the 20%, and the defense is the 80%.

Thus, logic would indicate that the Steelers should continue to add to the defense.

BB will get 23 points, no matter what... so, if the defense can hold teams to 22 or less, I foresee a 19-0 season.

Oh, and BB has four young O-linemen, two young WRs, and this draft is chock full of mid-round value at RB. Thus, S, LB... then, RB, WR, TE.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (04-22-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

The only defensive positions I would pick in round 1 would be safety and ilb. Since olegtree is most likely off our board I don't see another ilb worth selecting in round 1 thus I would only go safety in round one either vaccaro/Elam.

And if we do go defense first I would like to see us go offensive wr and rb in rounds 2 and 3.

But like any selection it all depends on who is there.

Also a dark horse to look for in round one would be b.werner, once considered a lock for the top 10 could fall to us for those who want a olb prospect.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,114 Times in 3,255 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Often, people are good at something (80% effective), but not so good at other things (20% effective). In turn, most people spend inordinate amounts of time working on those things that they do not do well (they try to improve that 20%). Alas, most of the time, people rarely improve that 20% much, if at all.

Whereas, if people focus on their strengths (the 89%), often they can indeed show improvement (nearing 95%).

BB's offense is & has been been ranked 20th in almost every season; whereas, the defense has been averaging a top five ranking. The offense is the 20%, and the defense is the 80%.

Thus, logic would indicate that the Steelers should continue to add to the defense.

BB will get 23 points, no matter what... so, if the defense can hold teams to 22 or less, I foresee a 19-0 season.

Oh, and BB has four young O-linemen, two young WRs, and this draft is chock full of mid-round value at RB. Thus, S, LB... then, RB, WR, TE.
If only the team didn't spend 80% on the defense, and 20% on the offense they could expect more production.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I wish I could thank this post 100 times.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote