Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,472 Times in 7,380 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default The HERD: McShay says Steelers trade back... and he likes Warmack/Cooper a LOT

Todd McShay was on Colin Cowherd's show this morning. McShay said a few interesting things.

1) McShay stated that this is a very good draft for OL & DL, and that the coaches are salivating because of it. He admits that the fans might not like it (he predicts that the draft will have poor ratings, because there is no Luck nor RGII), but that this is actually one of the deeeeepest draft classes in a while. He went on to say that fans love the "flashy" picks (QB, WR, Rb), but that the coaches love the linemen... and this draft will not disappoint the coaches.

2) As he said, this draft is deep, and thus, a team can find a good player in the later rounds (who's "just about" as good as a player in the top 20).

3) He grades Warmack & Cooper as top four talents (with Joeckel & Fisher being the top two). Furthermore, he said that those two OGs are two of the most highly-rated linemen that he's ever graded. He liked those two OGs a LOT.

4) Since certain positions have only one or two "top guys", a few teams will trade up... to some other teams benefit. He used Cleveland as his example: San Diego or Miami WILL trade up to #6, in order to get Lane Johnson... and Cleveland will get an extra pick, plus STILL get a really good player at 11 or 12.

5) He said that he sees the Steelers trading back (unless a guy that they "love" is there). He said that they have many holes to fill, and that this is the perfect draft for them to trade back. (I think that many of us agree.)

SUMMATION:
1) If Warper Coomack is there, he might just be the BPA.

2) Trading back seems like a reality. It reminds me of 2001, when I wanted -er- when Bill Cowher wanted Dan Morgan. Morgan got drafted, and the Steelers traded back a few spots, and still got Casey Hampton (who they would have drafted at 16), plus an extra pick.

Likewise, if Vaccaro is gone (as well as Coomack), I could see the Steelers trading back with a team a few spots back, and picking up an extra R3 pick.

3) McShay doesn't say things just to say them. In fact, he did not have to mention the Steelers AT ALL... but, he did. Ergo, it seems to me, that he knows (is predicting) that the Steelers trade back (unless Vaccaro or Warper is there).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Bane (04-19-2013), desertsteel (04-19-2013), harrison'samonster (04-19-2013), TheVet (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Default Re: The HERD: McShay says Steelers trade back... and he likes Warmack/Cooper a LOT

I started thinking about trade downs, and here is a dream scenario:

Tavon Austin is available at 17. Minnesota really wants Austin. So, Pittsburgh trades back to 23, acquiring Minnesota's R3 pick (83).

THEN, Tyler Eifert is available at 23. Atlanta really wants Eifert. So, Pittsburgh trades back to 30, acquiring Atlanta's R3 pick (92).

At 30, the pick could be Arthur Brown, who I think could be the pick at 17... but, at 30, it's a better value. [Note: Obviously, in a perfect world, Matt Elam is available at 30... but... I won't get greedy. LOL]

30: ILB Arthur Brown
48: OLB Corey Lemonier
79: SS DJ Swearinger
83: RB John Franklin/Le'Veon Bell/Marcus Lattimore
92: TE Gavin Escobar
R4: WR Swope, Dobson, Patton, Wheaton, Hamilton, Goodwin, Stills, Joyce...
Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic
Default Re: The HERD: McShay says Steelers trade back... and he likes Warmack/Cooper a LOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Tavon Austin is available at 17. Minnesota really wants Austin. So, Pittsburgh trades back to 23, acquiring Minnesota's R3 pick (83).

THEN, Tyler Eifert is available at 23. Atlanta really wants Eifert. So, Pittsburgh trades back to 30, acquiring Atlanta's R3 pick (92).

At 30, the pick could be Arthur Brown, who I think could be the pick at 17... but, at 30, it's a better value. [Note: Obviously, in a perfect world, Matt Elam is available at 30... but... I won't get greedy. LOL]

I could definitely live with this scenario. Trading down would be ideal......trading down twice would be amazing if we could fill all our pressing needs in the first four rounds!
Steelstoned1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelstoned1972 For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,038 Times in 546 Posts

I remember when the Steelers picked Hampton in the 1st, everyone and their mother was laughing at the Steelers for getting him where they did. They were saying he could have been had in the 2nd round.

Trading back would be great for the steelers. They need an extra 2nd rounder.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:

I really hope they trade down , but I would much much rather have Khaseem Greene than Arthur Brown

And I Also don't like OLB at all , and I hope the FO feels the same way, got to see what we have before spending another 2nd round pick on a OLB

30 - ILB Khaseem Greene
48 - FS David Amerson
79 - DB Tyrann Mathieu
83 - RB as you mentioned
92 -TE/WR
RD 4 - TE/WR
RD 5 -QB if one drops
BPA from here on out
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbrunn For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:

Get greedy teegre

I would rather have Elam at 30 than brown. Steelers are being reported to love Elam and I believe they had a big showing at Floridas pro day.

And I more scared of our safety position after this year than ilb ( and in a perfect world we draft cj Mosley next year )

I still want woods/Hopkins in round 2.

I'm on the idea of offense early rather than defense. Our offense was in the 20s in basically every category while our defense was top 5. Draft o early those guys can make more of a impact this year and next.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,500 Times in 851 Posts

This whole thing is making my head explode..., and the anticipation is killing me...... way too many variables...
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
This whole thing is making my head explode..., and the anticipation is killing me...... way too many variables...
I agree Dave. Im so flipping excited. I cant wait, so many different ways to go. I just hope we get immediate impact from a rb , te , wr and future help from our defensive picks cause i doubt they will play other than special teams their 1st year.
Steelstoned1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelstoned1972 For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

craig,
Exactly. It fills more needs... and the only drawback is a "slightly lesser" player in R1.

OX,
I remember people laughing that they should have taken Adam Archuleta (who I did NOT like), AND Casey had a horrible 40 time... so, people questioned the pick. BUT, I remember the DL coach saying that Csaey had the best 10 yard time (initial burst) of any of the D-linemen in that draft. Oh, and the DL coach also stated that he didn't care about Casey's 40 time, because if his NT is running 40 yards, the defense has bigger problems.

cbrunn,
Whether or not any of us like Khaseem Greene or Kevin Minter better is not why I mocked Arthur Brown there; the Steelers have been linked to Brown (i.e. that's who I actually think they want as their ILB).

As far as OLB goes, if Worilds has a great year, he will likely become too expensive to resign; if he he has a lackluster year, he might not be resigned at all. Thus, either way, the odds are good that the Steelers will need an OLB next year.

wokeupwithawoodley,
Trust me. As everyone knows, ELAM is my guy. And, absolutely, the rumors are that Tomlin loves him, as well. I just don't think he's going to last as long as people think.

In a PERFECT mock, I get Elam at 30... but, between 17 & 29, I see eight teams who could use a safety (with Dallas, Cincy, St. Louis, GB, & NE) being the most obvious. Even if Jon Cyprien goes before Elam, that still leaves, seven teams who could take him.

But, if we're gonna dream, dream big. Give me Elam at 30!!!

Lastly, yes, the offense was ranked lower, but it's filled with young players on the O-line & also at WR (AB & Sanders). Whereas, the defense is a buuunch of 30 year olds. The defense needs some youth ASAP.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craignewhouser View Post
I agree Dave. Im so flipping excited. I cant wait, so many different ways to go. I just hope we get immediate impact from a rb , te , wr and future help from our defensive picks cause i doubt they will play other than special teams their 1st year.
The NFL draft : grown men :: Christmas : little boys