Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #31
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: The HERD: McShay says Steelers trade back... and he likes Warmack/Cooper a LOT

This draft being deep is why letting Sanders go to NE made sooooo much sense. Instead, we resign him, have no money for Bradshaw and he walks for nothing next year a an UFA! Damn it!
austinfrench76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #32
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,644 Times in 8,601 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: The HERD: McShay says Steelers trade back... and he likes Warmack/Cooper a LOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
cant trade and get too many picks. have to be able to sign them
1. Picks don't cost as much as they used to.

2. By dropping back, the 30th pick is much less expensive than the 17th pick... and third rounders are very cheap.

3. Once drafted, the can always cut some of the other lower-tiered back-ups (or even an expensive player).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #33
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,091 Times in 569 Posts

Picks do not cost as much, but no impact players in the 1st rounds is a franchise killer
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #34
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Picks do not cost as much, but no impact players in the 1st rounds is a franchise killer
So true.
But, this draft is not like most drafts.

There usually is a top tier (1-12), followed by a second tier (13-25) and then the third tier progresses through the end of R1 & into R2 (26-50). Then, it's usually a matter of "best fit" for each team (50-100).

This year, there really isn't much of a top tier, but the second tier is huge (1-35) followed by an even bigger third tier (35-100).

In other words, while most years, you want a top ten (first tier) followed by a top 50 (third tier)... this year, the third tier lasts almost twice as long (100). Ergo, this is THE year to have multiple R2 and/or R3 picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
desertsteel (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #35
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,091 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
So true.

There usually is a top tier (1-12), followed by a second tier (13-25) and then the third tier progresses through the end of R1 & into R2 (26-50). Then, it's usually a matter of "best fit" for each team (50-100).

This year, there really isn't much of a top tier, but the second tier is huge (1-35) followed by an even bigger third tier (35-100).

In other words, while most years, you want a top ten (first tier) followed by a top 50 (third tier)... this year, the third tier lasts almost twice as long (100). Ergo, this is THE year to have multiple R2 and/or R3 picks.
And that is why I've been saying they need to trade down and get an extra pic.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
pczach (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #36
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
And that is why I've been saying they need to trade down and get an extra pic.
We think alike.
And, Todd McShay agrees*.

* (He predicts that the Steelers are trading down... unless, of course, a few certain players are there at 17.)
Old 04-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #37
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote:
So true.

i think unless jones, or vaccaro is there we are trading down for someone who wants austin or patterson.

but to the first point about top tier teams, imagine being a chiefs fan, or one of 5 jaguar fans?

last year the top of the draft was loaded, this year its better to be back later with lot of depth but no standouts
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #38
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
i think unless jones, or vaccaro is there we are trading down for someone who wants austin or patterson.

but to the first point about top tier teams, imagine being a chiefs fan, or one of 5 jaguar fans?

last year the top of the draft was loaded, this year its better to be back later with lot of depth but no standouts
I know, huh.

Last year, people were sucking for Luck (& RGIII), and next year, there's Bridgewater & Clowney... but, this year, there's Eric Fisher & Luke Joeckel. And, Tyler Lewan & Jake Matthews would have been the top two LTs in this draft, if they hadn't gone back to school; so, that tells you about this top five.

If it was a sandwich, 2012's & 2014's top five picks would be rich artisan bread, that is firm to the touch, but melts in your mouth... and 2013's top five is merely bologna.

The 2013 draft is a meat & potatoes type of draft (linemen, safeties)... and, might actually make teams better than most drafts (that are chock full of skill players). BUT, when one loses 13 games, one expects to get rewarded with a franchise QB (or, at the minimum, a Pro-Bowl type of RB or CB). Alas...
Old 04-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #39
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote:
I know, huh.

Last year, people were sucking for Luck (& RGIII), and next year, there's Bridgewater & Clowney... but, this year, there's Eric Fisher & Luke Joeckel. And, Tyler Lewan & Jake Matthews would have been the top two LTs in this draft, if they hadn't gone back to school; so, that tells you about this top five.

If it was a sandwich, 2012's & 2014's top five picks would be rich artisan bread, that is firm to the touch, but melts in your mouth... and 2013's top five is merely bologna.

The 2013 draft is a meat & potatoes type of draft (linemen, safeties)... and, might actually make teams better than most drafts (that are chock full of skill players). BUT, when one loses 13 games, one expects to get rewarded with a franchise QB (or, at the minimum, a Pro-Bowl type of RB or CB). Alas...

yup i guess there is good reason the chiefs are trying to trade back so desperately

the meat and potatoes leads to super bowls and playoff appearances.. just dont get too many french fries or you'll be picking in the top 10 for years
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #40
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,107 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
I know, huh.

That was an awesome job of explaining the difference in talent level from last year to this year. I don't know why, but I'm suddenly very hungry. I think I'm going to make myself a sandwich.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-20-2013)