Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #21
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040
Default Re: Larry Foote is an asset

Thanks for this thread. I've never understood why Foote takes so much flack here - he's solid, dependable, works hard, shows leadership. You need guys like him on any winning team.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Thanks for this thread. I've never understood why Foote takes so much flack here - he's solid, dependable, works hard, shows leadership. You need guys like him on any winning team.
You do need guys like Foote on the team, just not as a front liner. In the beginning of his career he played well on a Defense full of Pro Bowlers.

You would not win many games with a defense full of Foote caliber players. Once again, with no better option the Steelers have no choice.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Did anyone suggest a defense full of Foote caliber players?

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,983 Times in 8,010 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Rex Ryan did...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-21-2013), steeltheone (04-20-2013), TheVet (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Took me a minute, but
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
My point was....In the past Foote was on the bottom rung of our talented defense, we did not really depend on him at all. (That's why Timmons was drafted to replace him.)

Now 4 years later he is our starter again and we do depend on him. Not a good sign.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,824 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I strongly disagree that Foote is an asset in pass coverage. Foote is not good in space. He is a veteran player with good awareness and I don't think anyone would argue that. I wonder how Farrior would have done if he had stayed last season. Probably about the same.

I do agree Foote was able to generate some good pressure last season. He times his blitzes well.
I would say that Foote is better in getting into the underneath zones in pass coverage than he is as a run stopper.

Either way, the guy is not on the upward swing of his career and I think we should have spent money on somebody with upside and not a 10 year veteran on the decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Foote a proven run stopper and good in pass coverage?

Foote has shown to be average, at best, against stopping the run. He gets pushed back by ball carriers and he also has the tendency to wait until the RB comes to him. He also takes poor angles
When you get old and lose a step, what looks like a bad angle is really declining ability. I'll agree that he gets in the hole and waits for the play to come to him, rather than attacking the ball carrier.

Remember when the Steelers sign guys like Bryant McFadden, Brent Alexander, Mike Jones, because they didn't draft or develop any successors??

Foote reminds me of Mike Jones signing. An aging linebacker of declining play, but they don't have any other talent on the roster.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #28
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Well he didn't get to be our leading tackler last year by being "average at best" against the run. Actually, against the run, he was solid, without a doubt. He never has been very good in coverage so I'm not sure why that came up, but he covered a lot better last year then Farrior did the previous year and a half.

It doesn't make any sense to say it's not a good sign, who's going to play ILB? Timmons and the guy who they have no confidence in (Sylvester) or Timmons and the guy who's knee is not fully connected (Spence)? If there was another ILB that was out there for a fair price that led their team in tackles and was better in pass coverage then Foote then I would be all for it, but there's not, and even if we drafted an ILB at #17 he wouldn't be playing much this year. LeBeau isn't going to start a rookie ILB.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #29
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Well he didn't get to be our leading tackler last year by being "average at best" against the run. Actually, against the run, he was solid, without a doubt. He never has been very good in coverage so I'm not sure why that came up, but he covered a lot better last year then Farrior did the previous year and a half.

It doesn't make any sense to say it's not a good sign, who's going to play ILB? Timmons and the guy who they have no confidence in (Sylvester) or Timmons and the guy who's knee is not fully connected (Spence)? If there was another ILB that was out there for a fair price that led their team in tackles and was better in pass coverage then Foote then I would be all for it, but there's not, and even if we drafted an ILB at #17 he wouldn't be playing much this year. LeBeau isn't going to start a rookie ILB.
The only reason Foote is starting in Pittsburgh is..1.Nobody else really wants him ..2 He is cheap 3...Nobody to replace him...

I agree it is a good sign because of 2 and 3
Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #30
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post

The amount of tackles a player accumulates does not necessarily mean they are better than average against the run. Where tackles take place are important. For example, making contact with the ball carrier, but getting pushed back x-amount of yards. What about making first contact 3 to 4 yards past the scrimmage or dog piling? Also, it's not all about the tackles. Filling gaps is important also. Foote, IMO, has shown to be an average(at best) LB against the run and sub-par in coverage. He starts because the Steelers' 2012 pick, Spence, was injured thus leaving them with no experienced LBs or even a good/great, physical talent to start. Foote is a temporary solution that needs to be addressed at some point.

IMO, finding an ILB in Lebeau's scheme, who is average against the run, doesn't seem difficult. Finding one who can cover seems to be the difficult part.