Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
Lukin83
Water Boy

Member Number: 2692
Default 8/21 Steelers Practice Report

8/21 Steelers Practice Report
Written by: Luke Nicholson ? 8/22/2006
Source:

The Steelers entered their final week of training camp today. The weather cooperated with the on-field festivities, as the humidity cleared out and the sun heated the field to no more than a bearable temperature. I graced the field as a member of the media through ffLiveWire and made the most of the opportunity, taking advantage of the great photo angles and ability to talk with players. Look for my article on the Steelers' free safety competition in the near future. My pictures from the afternoon can be found HERE.

Quarterbacks

Ben Roethlisberger looked sharp today. His major gaff was an interception toss on what was meant to be a crossing pattern to Cedrick Wilson. Shane Boyd and Omar Jacobs barely avoided throwing picks, courtesy of two drops by defensive backs. Boyd showcased his legs once again, running away from pass rushers and finding scrambling room. Jacobs was particularly unimpressive, spending entirely too much time searching for an open target before unloading the ball.

Running Backs

Each of Willie Parker, Duce Staley, and Verron Haynes saw time with the first team offense. Parker and Haynes each demonstrated their unique abilities; Parker his speed and burst and Haynes his strength and fight. Staley seemed off his game, as defenders regularly grabbed him before he hit the line of scrimmage. Cedric Humes rattled off several impressive runs, leaving defenders grasping nothing but air.

Wide Receivers

Hines Ward returned to practice today, but left early after his hamstring started giving him problems again. He made a stellar one handed grab in positional drills, as well as the reception of the day where he hauled in a pass tipped up in the air by Troy Polamalu. Ben Roethlisberger featured Cedrick Wilson at wide receiver today, as Wilson easily led the wide outs in receptions. Nate Washington, Quincy Morgan, Santonio Holmes, and Willie Reid also had impressive showings, snaring passes left and right. The wide receivers, as a whole, ran primarily short crossing routes, utilizing their speed and agility to gain separation from Dick LeBeau's defensive backs.

Tight Ends

I didn't see much out of the tight ends. Heath Miller and Charles Davis made some pretty grabs, but the position was otherwise quiet today.

Offensive Line

Chukky Okobi was back in uniform, but was held out of contact drills. He snapped some balls to Charlie Batch and Shane Boyd early in practice. Kendall Simmons took some repetitions at center and Chris Kemoeatu rotated in with the first team offense. Max Starks couldn't contain Clark Haggans in the pass rush drill, while Marvel Smith handled Joey Porter efficiently.

Defensive Line

Chris Hoke and Lee Vickers were the most impressive defensive linemen in the pass rush drill, regularly penetrating the pocket. Orien Harris also received the praise of defensive line coach John Mitchell.

Linebackers

Clark Haggans showed up Max Starks in the pass rush drill, but Joey Porter couldn't penetrate the pocket past the massive frame of Marvel Smith. James Farrior looked particularly sharp throughout the course of the afternoon, although he was late to the field for the field goal defense.

Defensive Backs

DeShea Townsend picked off a Ben Roethlisberger pass in his first attempt of 7-on-7 drills, highlighting the day for the defense. Bryant McFadden dropped a Shane Boyd pass, which hit him directly in the hands. He immediately dove to the ground in frustration. Anthony Smith just barely missed an interception of a tipped Omar Jacobs pass, as his diving attempt only resulted in his fingertips deflecting the ball into the ground. Troy Polamalu also missed out on an interception, as he batted a Ben Roethlisberger pass up into the air and right into Hines Ward's awaiting arms. Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter rotated in and out with the first team defense.

Special Teams

Santonio Holmes, Willie Reid, and Cedrick Wilson continued to field punts. Both Chris Gardocki and Mike Barr were booting the ball deep with tremendous hangtime, angling kicks along the sideline. Jeff Reed nailed his field goal attempts, completing an extremely successful afternoon for the kicking game.

Luke's Updated Projected 53-Man Roster

QB1 Ben Roethlisberger
QB2 Charlie Batch
RB1 Willie Parker
RB2 Duce Staley
RB3 Verron Haynes
RB4 Cedric Humes
FB1 Dan Kreider
WR1 Hines Ward
WR2 Cedrick Wilson
WR3 Santonio Holmes
WR4 Nate Washington
WR5 Willie Reid
WR6 Sean Morey
TE1 Heath Miller
TE2 Jerame Tuman
TE3 Charles Davis
OT1 Marvel Smith
OT2 Max Starks
OT3 Trai Essex
OT4 Willie Colon
OG1 Alan Faneca
OG2 Kendall Simmons
OG3 Chris Kemoeatu
C1 Jeff Hartings
C2 Marvin Philip
DE1 Aaron Smith
DE2 Brett Keisel
DE3 Shaun Nua
DE4 Orien Harris
DT1 Casey Hampton
DT2 Chris Hoke
OLB1 Joey Porter
OLB2 Clark Haggans
OLB3 James Harrison
OLB4 Andre Frazier
ILB1 James Farrior
ILB2 Larry Foote
ILB3 Clint Kriewaldt
ILB4 Rian Wallace
CB1 Ike Taylor
CB2 Bryant McFadden
CB3 DeShea Townsend
CB4 Anthony Madison
CB5 Chidi Iwuoma
FS1 Ryan Clark
FS2 Tyrone Carter
FS3 Anthony Smith
SS1 Troy Polamalu
SS2 Mike Logan
K1 Jeff Reed
P1 Chris Gardocki
LS1 Greg Warren

Practice Squad: QB Shane Boyd, FB John Kuhn, WR Walter Young, TE Jonathan Dekker, OG Tim Brown, DE Lee Vickers, DT Scott Paxson, LB Richard Seigler,
Old 08-22-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
crcsnail
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2091
Default Re: 8/21 Steelers Practice Report

nice info and very nice photos thanks
crcsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

I like the Roster except, IMO we keep Morgan as a WR/ST players and we leave out TE Charlie Davis.. i dont think we keep 3 of them and not sure we let Morgan go.

DE : Vickers or Harris ?? I have been hearing alot about Vivkes, not much about Harris so i was wondering why is Harris better.

RB : Kuhn vs Humes, Staley ... up in air ???
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

IF we were gonna let Morgan just walk ... wouldnt we trade him or get something for him rather than waiting till the deadline and then just letting him walk ? I know he is not a Pro Bowl receiver, but it seems to me alot of teams would like to have him as a 3rd or 4th WR and i would think we could get something for him if we were just gonna let him go. Either a player or a future draft pick that was in the later rounds.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

great pics!!!

thanks!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Great pics. Thanks for the info.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Nice pics man! Rep to you!
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Training_Camp
Water Boy

Member Number: 2859

Great stuff Luke! Very nice photo's. I was there today also. I will be there tomorrow to. Last day...should be some more excitement. Cowher drew a pretty good crowd at the signing booth and stayed later than the said 30 minutes.
Training_Camp is offline   Reply With Quote