Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #71
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Steelers should go no huddle a lot more often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Never said it should be either, but not because Ben is incapable of running it.
No one said he was incapable of running it. If someone said that they would be wrong. The closing drive of Superbowl XLIII was one of the greatest drives ever by any quarterback and that was Roethlisberger running the no-huddle offense.

Roethlisberger is better at operating a conventional offense than the no-huddle and his career ratings in both areas reflect that. Furthermore, Roethlisberger is preaching to the choir when he whines to the media- Todd Haley commented before the 2012 season he intended to run more no-huddle.

If someone could find some stats on the no-huddle for last year that would be great. (I'm looking at you Hawaai 5-0).

I am fairly certain Haley had Roethlisberger run more no-huddle than he ever has.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #72
steelersforever58
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24184

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
No one said he was incapable of running it. If someone said that they would be wrong. The closing drive of Superbowl XLIII was one of the greatest drives ever by any quarterback and that was Roethlisberger running the no-huddle offense.

Roethlisberger is better at operating a conventional offense than the no-huddle and his career ratings in both areas reflect that. Furthermore, Roethlisberger is preaching to the choir when he whines to the media- Todd Haley commented before the 2012 season he intended to run more no-huddle.

If someone could find some stats on the no-huddle for last year that would be great. (I'm looking at you Hawaai 5-0).

I am fairly certain Haley had Roethlisberger run more no-huddle than he ever has.
My perception may be all wrong, but I don't recall seeing hardly any no-huddle. Thos e of you who want to bring up stats showing Ben is better in a traditional offense as opposed to no-huddle, I would say he hasn't had enough opportunities in the no-huddle to truly compare. I want to see 25-30 plays a game for 4-6 games and see what his stats look like.
steelersforever58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelersforever58 For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #73
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

I think there may be some confusion as to what we are discussing here. I see people claiming he is good at the no huddle based on end of half, end of game scenarios. ALL teams employ the no huddle or hurry up in these scenarios especially if they are behind (end of game) and when there is very little time left on the clock. Typically QBs will fare well during this time and put up big numbers when facing a defense that is allowing underneath routes and over the middle so as to keep the play in front of them and the clock moving. I think it's hard to argue that Ben is any worse or better than most in these instances. What I think BR was talking about when requesting to run the no huddle more, and what I am referring to when I say he is not capable of being successful at is....how when, during a game...you catch the defense w/poor personnel on the field and quickly go into a no huddle offense to take advantage of the match ups.

For instance, we are playing the Colts...it's first down..they move their tight end out as a receiver making it four wide...Manning completes a short pass to Stockley...seeing as Hampton is still on the field as well as Farrior trying to cover the TE...Manning immediately goes into a no huddle and marches them down the field. This of course is just an example..but it requires total mastery of your offense and their defensive personnel.and being able to diagnose these conditions on the fly. This can happen at any time of the game and Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees and soon to join them...Luck, all can do this, and do it well. I am saying BR isn't adept at this. I don't believe he can process the information quickly enough. QBs that can do this also excel in the areas that Ben does poorly i.e. taking what the defense gives you, getting rid of the ball quickly, hitting the underneath route, audibles, and clock management. All of these are traits a 'thinking' QB has. Ben is most def. not a thinking man's QB. He is a physical freak with uncanny pocket presence and escapability, who throws well on the run and in the pocket. I will take that but at times I wish he was a little more cerebral because it holds him back. So instead of developing into a sure fire first ballot HOF I thought he was going to be, he is struggling to maintain top 10 QB in the league right now. But to listen to many here you'd think he was among the all time greats because he has two rings. As if his play in the first SB had anything to do with winning (yeah, I get that his play helped get us there, I am talking about winning that particular game) and his play since the SB loss to GB hasn't left a lot to be desired. His lack of offensive line, his receivers w/all their drops, his bad offensive coordinators, his bad defenses, his injuries...it's always some excuse as to why he is struggling or why our offense is never very good. He is the common denominator. He doesn't get all the blame but to many fanboys he gets none.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cowherpower For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #74
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

There are only a few ways to communicate what you want the players to do when you employ the no huddle. Hand signals etc. Eventually you exhaust your supply of signals and the defenses, and they're really smart these days, learn to read your signals negating the surprise effectiveness of running the no huddle.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #75
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Every play the Steelers run ends up being snapped with less than 5 seconds less on the clock regardless. Tomlin is intent on dominating the time of possession. Haley is a much more aggressive coach than Tomlin. Tomlin is the guy who will kick a 50 yard field goal on 4th and 1 knowing there is only a 20% chance his kicker makes it. Haley is the guy who attempted the most 4th down conversions in the league while with KC (even from his own territory at times).

I think Haley is all for being aggressive on offense and Tomlin wants to slow the game to protect the defense. It was especially important last year to keep the defense off the field with Troy, Harrison and Woodley playing injured all year as well as injuries to Lewis and Taylor.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote