Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,847 Times in 5,696 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Harris: Lackluster drafts costing Steelers

Harris: Lackluster drafts costing Steelers

By John Harris
Published: Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Re-signing restricted free agent Emmanuel Sanders to a one-year, $2.5 million contract is out of character for the Steelers, and not just because fellow receiver Antonio Brown thinks so.

“I don't think that they really like guys that don't do things their way,” Brown said Friday on Sirius XM NFL Radio, two days before the Steelers matched the New England Patriots' $2.5 million offer to Sanders. “There's a certain professional way that they go about their business, and I don't think that they make decisions with guys that don't go about things in the way that they should. So in my opinion, I don't think he'll come back. It's just not smart to get a guy for one year at a price that you can get a guy for four years.”

Brown was fooled, along with the rest of us. It's a mistake to assume we know how the Steelers operate, because we don't anymore.

These are desperate times for the Steelers, who never engaged in bidding wars for their own players until, apparently, now.

Because of a lack of depth at receiver and repeated misfires in the draft, the Steelers need Sanders.

Agent Jordan Woy tweeted that Sanders is the NFL's first restricted free agent in three years to receive a contract offer.

It makes you wonder why they didn't sign Sanders to a new deal instead of allowing the Patriots to establish the market for the Steelers' own player.

If the Steelers value Sanders so highly, why did they give him a low tender, which would have resulted in them receiving a third-round draft pick instead of a second-round tender? Making New England hand over a second-round pick would have lessened the chances of the Patriots signing Sanders to an offer sheet.

Instead, the Steelers were in the unfamiliar position of overpaying to retain a receiver they had undervalued.

Why the rush to judgment for the Steelers? Bad draft picks forced the team's hand.

Coach Mike Tomlin's first draft in 2007 yielded Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, Matt Spaeth and William Gay. None remain from the '08 draft, and only Ziggy Hood and David Johnson remain from '09.

In 2010, which was probably Tomlin's deepest draft, the Steelers plucked Maurkice Pouncey, Brown, Sanders, Jason Worilds, Jonathan Dwyer and Stevenson Sylvester.

It's too early to assess the Steelers' 2011 selections of Cam Heyward, Marcus Gilbert, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Chris Carter and Baron Batch, or 2012 picks David DeCastro, Mike Adams, Sean Spence, Alameda Ta'amu, David Paulson and Kelvin Beachum.

Dave-Te' Thomas of Scouting Services Inc. provides in-depth scouting reports for NFL teams — he recently completed a 200-page report detailing West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith for the Oakland Raiders — and is familiar with the Steelers' draft strategy.

“Pathetic,” Thomas said recently on TribLive Radio.

“Look at last year,” Thomas said. He cited the Steelers' release of 2012 fifth-round pick Chris Rainey after he was charged with simple battery, and Ta'amu, a fourth-round selection who didn't dress for a single game as a rookie, receiving 18 months probation after pleading guilty to reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and drunk driving. “Did anybody ever check character ratings on some of those guys? Look at Rainey. Look at (Ta'amu). Both of those guys had long track records off the field.”

Three draft picks who experienced varied levels of success with the Steelers — Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall and Keenan Lewis — were not retained by the team, despite entering 2013 in the prime of their careers.

Mendenhall was a first-round pick in 2008. Wallace and Lewis were third-round selections in 2009.

Historically, the Steelers have always retained their talented draft picks, particularly talented players younger than 30. Yet, in a surprising turn of events, the Steelers didn't keep Wallace, Lewis or Mendenhall, and didn't mourn their departures.

At the owners meetings last month, Tomlin addressed the issue of the Steelers becoming a tougher football team, both mentally and physically. While he didn't name players, Tomlin emphasized he wants to change the Steelers' culture — one that players said resulted in a “fractured” locker room last season.

“It's more a mentality than anything else,” Tomlin said. “We understand that there is going to be confrontation, and we are not running away from it.”

Re-signing Sanders is a step in the right direction for the Steelers, but not if it compromises their ability to sign draft picks and replenish their talent base.

http://triblive.com/sports/johnharri...#ixzz2QrM8M29I
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Harris: Lackluster drafts costing Steelers

I agree with some of this and not so much on some of it BUT let's be clear - Mike Wallace wanted WAY too much money. That's what happened with Mike. You cannot blame the Steelers for him. In fact, celebrate that they found him the 3rd round. Let him play out his contract and go get a bad contract for his skills from Miami. He will bust in Miami no matter what he does because he isn't worth that money. I'm sorry, he's not. Mendenhall, well, enuff said. The only head scratcher to me is Lewis. That doesn't make sense.
austinfrench76 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
LayingTheWoodley56 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I agree with some of this and not so much on some of it BUT let's be clear - Mike Wallace wanted WAY too much money. That's what happened with Mike. You cannot blame the Steelers for him. In fact, celebrate that they found him the 3rd round. Let him play out his contract and go get a bad contract for his skills from Miami. He will bust in Miami no matter what he does because he isn't worth that money. I'm sorry, he's not. Mendenhall, well, enuff said. The only head scratcher to me is Lewis. That doesn't make sense.
Said the same thing about Lewis. He did not get a lot of money in NO, and given the value he held in our pass defense last season I was dismayed that we didn't re-sign him. I get the Steeler way of not overpaying to retain our players, and it has largely worked out over the years, but this was following that ideology to a fault. Lewis should have been brought back, plain and simple.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

And Mendenhall simply had to go.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i think our drafts outside of 2008 have been pretty solid lately. my one gripe is that we aren't good at developing players quick enough to get them ready. keenan finally had a breakout season in a contract year for example? would have been awesome if he could have been ready to contribute in his 2nd year and we could have gotten more out of him.

anyone we draft on defense has to learn the playbook in german and swahili and most can't pick it up in 1 year
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,515 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i think our drafts outside of 2008 have been pretty solid lately. my one gripe is that we aren't good at developing players quick enough to get them ready. keenan finally had a breakout season in a contract year for example? would have been awesome if he could have been ready to contribute in his 2nd year and we could have gotten more out of him.

anyone we draft on defense has to learn the playbook in german and swahili and most can't pick it up in 1 year
100% agree: I've liked the past three drafts.

Hampton & Bell started as rookies... due to "they HAD to start." So, it's possible... just not what LeBeau prefers.

Vaccaro/Elam will have to start in the AFCCG in Denver (at the least, if not certain "packages" in most other games). And, I foresee Brown/Greene starting (over Foote) by the eighth game.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

I think this was a cut out the cancers off season....But the God King Colbert needs to start looking more at Need than BPA...he's done needs recently, but those past drafts with that BPA strategy is coming back to bite them...

Last edited by BKAnthem; 04-20-2013 at 12:08 PM.
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
100% agree: I've liked the past three drafts.

Hampton & Bell started as rookies... due to "they HAD to start." So, it's possible... just not what LeBeau prefers.

Vaccaro/Elam will have to start in the AFCCG in Denver (at the least, if not certain "packages" in most other games). And, I foresee Brown/Greene starting (over Foote) by the eighth game.
Teegree has [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJVewWbeBiY[/YOUTUBE]
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,515 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Argh... the link doesn't work. I'm assuming its a video of a tiger eating a wild chicken.

Teegre has: (pollo asado).

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,416 Times in 885 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Tim Lewis was the defensive coordinator when Casey Hampton and Kendrell Bell were drafted. LeBeau has literally never started a rookie as defensive coordinator, at least during his second go-around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I think this was a cut out the cancers off season....But the God King Colbert needs to start looking more at Need than BPA...he's done needs recently, but those past drafts with that BPA strategy is coming back to bite them...
Let's not go Stillers.com with the nicknames, please.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote