Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,606 Times in 3,413 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Trade #17 pick & get 4 EXTRA picks...

You only need one team to think they could get over the top by getting that one transcendent player on their board. I guess you never know, but I wouldn't count on it.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,645 Times in 8,937 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
You only need one team to think they could get over the top by getting that one transcendent player on their board. I guess you never know, but I wouldn't count on it.
It doesn't even have to be a big trade.

In 2001, once Dan Morgan was taken, the Steelers had three players that they would have picked at 16. They traded back, and STILL got their top-rated player of those three: Casey Hampton.

If, at 17, let's assume that Vaccaro, Austin, Eifert, Warper, et cetera are all gone, then who do they take? If they trade back to 20, and take then guy that they would have "reached" for at 17, then that is good value. (Plus, they acquire a R5 pick.)

More importantly, let's assume that Vaccaro, Eifert, Warper, et cetera are all gone, but Austin is still there. If the Vikes reeeeeally want Austin, and the Steelers could trade back to 23, and still get a really good player (sans any "reaching"), plus an extra pick (R3).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,868 Times in 2,905 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

has any team expressed interest in our 17th pick yet? if not it's all speculation.

yeah i'd like to hope some team pulls a ditka for our 17th pick but yeah that won't happen.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quality over Quantity. If there's noone left on the board at 17 it isn't a bad idea but chances are one of the top 15 or so rated prospects will be there. Better to keep our picks and get one of them than load up on second round prospects.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #15
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
It doesn't even have to be a big trade.

In 2001, once Dan Morgan was taken, the Steelers had three players that they would have picked at 16. They traded back, and STILL got their top-rated player of those three: Casey Hampton.

If, at 17, let's assume that Vaccaro, Austin, Eifert, Warper, et cetera are all gone, then who do they take? If they trade back to 20, and take then guy that they would have "reached" for at 17, then that is good value. (Plus, they acquire a R5 pick.)

More importantly, let's assume that Vaccaro, Eifert, Warper, et cetera are all gone, but Austin is still there. If the Vikes reeeeeally want Austin, and the Steelers could trade back to 23, and still get a really good player (sans any "reaching"), plus an extra pick (R3).
I'd really love to see them move back and still get a great player with the first pick. I know this could happen. I was just saying I don't think anyone will sell the farm for the #17 pick, but you never know. If they could move back a couple places and pick up an additional 2nd rounder, they would be doing well. The Chiefs and Browns seem to hold the picks that will decide if the board gets a little jumbled. If they don't pick the players most see them taking, it will cause a domino effect with teams trying to move up to get players they never thought would be available outside of the top 5 or 6 picks. That's how most analysts are reading it.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,155 Times in 580 Posts

Steelers should call the niners about moving down and for them to move up. They have like 45 picks. Trade down in the late 20s and get another 3rd rounder.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Quality over Quantity. If there's noone left on the board at 17 it isn't a bad idea but chances are one of the top 15 or so rated prospects will be there. Better to keep our picks and get one of them than load up on second round prospects.
In Khrushchev's words, "quantity has a quality all of its own."

This might be a draft where quality lies in quantity - particularly when your GM/coach team has historically struggled when judging quality.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,645 Times in 8,937 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
has any team expressed interest in our 17th pick yet? if not it's all speculation.

yeah i'd like to hope some team pulls a ditka for our 17th pick but yeah that won't happen.
Has anyone shown interest in the 17th: NO.

Has anyone shown interest in the Austin & Eifert: YES.

pczach,
I'm not talking about a monster deal and/or a major trade-back. I'm talking about dropping back three spots & acquiring a R5 pick (OR six spots & acquiring a R3 pick, OR thirteen spots & acquiring a R2 pick).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Has anyone shown interest in the 17th: NO.

Has anyone shown interest in the Austin & Eifert: YES.

pczach,
I'm not talking about a monster deal and/or a major trade-back. I'm talking about dropping back three spots & acquiring a R5 pick (OR six spots & acquiring a R3 pick, OR thirteen spots & acquiring a R2 pick).
I understand, and I agree with you. There are so many quality players in the first 4-5 rounds of this draft, that I would want to acquire as many as I could to feast on the deep, talent-laden draft class.

Now stop trying to convince me! I'm with you man, relax!
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
teegre (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

I am also on board with the Steelers trading down. I don't think they are in love with the 17th overall selection, and they could really benefit themselves with additional picks. They have some definite needs and bringing in young draftees would be a great way to try and fill them. Though I mostly believe it all depends who is still on the board at 17. If there are viable options that interest other teams - what you guys pointed out above - then IMO it's a no-brainer Pittsburgh trades down. They can still get a good player in the 20s and at the end of the 1st round, depending on who they are after.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote