Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Sounds like Colbert is going to stick to his proven method...BPA.

Also sounds like he may be inclined to drop back for more picks.
BPA was always a luxury strategy to me....lets see how he does now that we have actual needs
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Actually, "to everything there is a season." With so many holes, BPA could be exactly what we need this year.

Unfortunately, has Colbert ever shown much ability to identify the best player available? Seems to me that he's been running significantly under what should be produced by random chance.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quite honestly; Steeler fans should be concerned by Colberts comments. Maybe there is a lot of pressure on him to REALLY hit this draft. Heck; he hasn't really being lighting it up lately reference to our 2008 draft disappearing. But to go 8 and 8 and lose all the talent they have lost and not replace it with any significant signings. You better hope some of your draft is going to make an impact.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Actually, "to everything there is a season." With so many holes, BPA could be exactly what we need this year.

Unfortunately, has Colbert ever shown much ability to identify the best player available? Seems to me that he's been running significantly under what should be produced by random chance.
I disagree. I think drafting according to BPA can yield better results than drafting for (current, not necessarily future) need. If you draft for need, you're essentially conceding that you're hoping for the rookie to step in immediately and perform at a higher-than-should-be-expected level. I'd much rather get the best player.

And as far as Colbert goes, history shows he's been pretty damned good about drafting in the first round:

2000 Plaxico Burress
2001 Casey Hampton
2002 Kendall Simmons
2003 Troy Polamalu
2004 Ben Roethlisberger
2005 Heath Miller
2006 Santonio Holmes
2007 Lawrence Timmons
2008 Rashard Mendenhall
2009 Ziggy Hood
2010 Maurkice Pouncey
2011 Cameron Heyward
2012 David DeCastro

Plax, Hampton, Troy, Big Ben, Heath, Timmons, and Pouncey have all been pretty awesome for the Steelers (although Plax was arguably better for the Giants), and David DeCastro looks very promising.

This, on top of his ability to find stars later in the draft, means I trust in Colbert. And for good reason.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (04-22-2013), Fire Arians (04-22-2013), pczach (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #25
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty

You guys need to understand football-speak. Obviously, they "won't expect" it, because it would show a lack of faith in their veterans and it will provide motivation to the rookies. Once the draft class is actually in, they'll do nothing but rave about each player's potential. It's just how the process works. I don't think they're actually going in with the mindset that they won't find good players.

Draft hasn't even started, fellas. No need for rampant pessimism and fire & brimstone speeches just yet.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Bane (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #26
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I disagree. I think drafting according to BPA can yield better results than drafting for (current, not necessarily future) need. If you draft for need, you're essentially conceding that you're hoping for the rookie to step in immediately and perform at a higher-than-should-be-expected level. I'd much rather get the best player.
Well, since I completely agree that drafting according to BPA yields the best results over time, I guess you disagree with my assessment of Colbert's recent performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
And as far as Colbert goes, history shows he's been pretty damned good about drafting in the first round:

2000 Plaxico Burress
2001 Casey Hampton
2002 Kendall Simmons
2003 Troy Polamalu
2004 Ben Roethlisberger
2005 Heath Miller
2006 Santonio Holmes
2007 Lawrence Timmons
2008 Rashard Mendenhall
2009 Ziggy Hood
2010 Maurkice Pouncey
2011 Cameron Heyward
2012 David DeCastro

Plax, Hampton, Troy, Big Ben, Heath, Timmons, and Pouncey have all been pretty awesome for the Steelers (although Plax was arguably better for the Giants), and David DeCastro looks very promising.

This, on top of his ability to find stars later in the draft, means I trust in Colbert. And for good reason.
I'm not sure why you listed only the #1 picks; it's the complete draft that counts. (I could give you my top 10 bowling scores and you'd think I'm a PBA hall of famer, lol). Sure, that's a pretty good list of players, but at least 33% would be "do overs" if given the chance, maybe even 50%. Those are #1 picks, after all, and the expectations are high

But seriously, why the focus on #1's? That's not the determinant of a team's success.

I think that there have been a lot of whiffs in our drafts, particularly in recent history. Indeed, is there really anyone here who would disagree?

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #27
Rabbit
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 24863
My Mood: Flirty

Plenty of other teams would kill to have Colbert's track record in the draft. We've had ONE sub-.500 season in the 2000s. Not sure why we're getting so doom and gloom over an 8-8 year.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #28
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Well, since I completely agree that drafting according to BPA yields the best results over time, I guess you disagree with my assessment of Colbert's recent performance.

I'm not sure why you listed only the #1 picks; it's the complete draft that counts. (I could give you my top 10 bowling scores and you'd think I'm a PBA hall of famer, lol). Sure, that's a pretty good list of players, but at least 33% would be "do overs" if given the chance, maybe even 50%. Those are #1 picks, after all, and the expectations are high

But seriously, why the focus on #1's? That's not the determinant of a team's success.

I think that there have been a lot of whiffs in our drafts, particularly in recent history. Indeed, is there really anyone here who would disagree?
i agree with you. We've had ton of "whiffs" and we certainly haven't been on par with many teams out there in the drafting process. The most accurate part of your post is the "head in the sand" picture on the bottom. It applys to many.
While we haven't been horrible and have had some unfortunate injuries, i wouldnt' put our drafts near the top of the class when in comparison to other teams - not near the bottom, but nowhere near the top either.
I'm hoping for a good one this year with all the available talent. From Tomlin's comments at the press conference, it appears both him and Colbert are really analyzing this years draft with extra precision. I think they realize how important this one is. My gut instinct says we'll have a very good one.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #29
jb500ex
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Sounds like Colbert is going to stick to his proven method...BPA.

Also sounds like he may be inclined to drop back for more picks.
He hasn't always done best player available method, the year we drafted Holmes he wasn't the best player available and most would say Timmons wasn't best player available.
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #30
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
He hasn't always done best player available method, the year we drafted Holmes he wasn't the best player available and most would say Timmons wasn't best player available.
Timmons is one of the best linebackers in the league and probably the most underrated.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote