Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: Steelers haven't 'closed the door' on Hampton, Starks

Everybody hates on Max..... He's just been our left tackle since 06 rt in 05... 3 superbowls .... If the Media doesnt like you fans dont?... He got life left....
Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Bring back Max!

first
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,381 Times in 2,284 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

they don't have to, they don't fit through the door anyway
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (04-24-2013), teegre (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

I would bring Max Starks back, he and Ben have good chemistry and Ben feels more comfortable with Starks at OT. "Big Snacks" needs to go, time to see more of McClendon, just like it is time to see more Hood and Heyward, this is exactly what scares me about the draft and taking a defensive player with the #17 pick, someone like Casey Hampton not only gobbles up the playing time but also cleans out the pre-game buffet, time for new blood on that defensive line.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,226 Times in 3,940 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Loss of Casey Hampton big ... in 2 ways

April 23, 2013
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You made five Pro Bowls. You were a giant -- literally and figuratively -- on the field and in the locker room. You were adored by your teammates. You deserve to go out in style. You deserve better than a one-line mention in a story announcing a new contract for your backup, who only can hope to be as good as you were.

"The Steelers' signing of nose tackle Steve McLendon to a three-year, $7.25 million deal means the end for Casey Hampton."

That simply won't do.

Hampton is going to be missed.

"As great of a player as he was, he was an even better person," former longtime teammate Chris Hoke said Monday. "He was the best locker-room guy the Steelers had."

They broke in together in 2001, Hampton as a No. 1 draft choice, Hoke as an undrafted free agent. Hoke backed up Hampton for 11 seasons before he retired after the 2011 season.

Let's start with something really important.

How did Hampton get his wonderful nickname?

"Big Snack."

"I think [former defensive end] Travis Kirschke gave it to him," Hoke said. "We had this freezer at training camp and Hamp was always there getting popsicles. He was always snacking."

Don't misunderstand. Hampton did not live on popsicles alone. His appetite was prodigious. When the Steelers had a team dinner at the home of Jerome Bettis' parents in Detroit before Super Bowl XL, they counted Hampton as two for planning purposes.

"I think he had three plates," Steelers linebacker James Farrior said that day. Told that Hampton passed on dessert, Farrior said dismissively, "Yeah, he's watching his weight all right. Watching it expand."

Hampton's coaches didn't always find his extra pounds so amusing. Bill Cowher chided him about his conditioning. Mike Tomlin put him on the physically-unable-to-perform list at training camp before the 2008 season, saying, "He's not in any kind of shape to play football."

It was the toughest kind of love for a player who had made the Pro Bowl the previous three seasons. Hampton didn't overreact, at least not publicly. Asked how long he expected to be on the PUP list, he said, grinning as usual, "I hope all of camp." Hampton was never thrilled with those practices in the hot sun. He figured it was his job to be ready for the start of the season.

"He might have been easygoing with the media, but he didn't like being shown up like that," Hoke said. "That lit a fire under him."

Hampton, indeed, was ready for that season and ended up making the Pro Bowl again.

What a sight Hampton made on the field. He waddled slowly from the locker room to the sideline while his teammates ran. His helmet seemed squished on his big head. His massive gut hung over his belt. And his backside? You could show a drive-in movie on it.

But when it came time to play, Hampton was a force. Hoke talked of his remarkable athleticism for such a big man. "No nose tackle could move like him ...

"Without him for all of those years, our defense wouldn't even have been close to being as good as it was the past decade. It all started with the nose tackle position. He was the best."

Hampton often took on two or even three blockers, allowing the linebackers to make tackles.

"I remember so many short-yardage situations," Hoke said. "The center and guard would double-team him. His plant foot wouldn't move an inch. He'd stand up both of them and push them back. That's why our defense was so good against the run."

The Steelers liked what Hampton brought to the field, but they loved him just as much off the field. They won a game in Dallas in 2004, but the postgame locker room was unusually quiet and sad because Hampton tore up a knee. That's how much he was liked. Before games, it was a ritual for players to tackle Hampton during warm-ups. It usually took four or five to bring him down. He loved it. They loved it. On many days at team headquarters, Hampton would hold court over lunch or in the locker room, always smiling, laughing, telling stories.

"Everybody loved being around him," Hoke said. "His happiness and playfulness were infectious. It didn't matter if you were on special teams or offense or defense. It didn't matter if you were white or black. Everybody loved Hamp."

When the Steelers visited the White House after they won Super Bowl XL, President George W. Bush blew by Dan Rooney, Art Rooney II and Cowher to shake Hampton's hand first. The two had worked out together at the University of Texas when Hampton played there and Bush was the governor. You should have seen Hampton's smile that day in the East Room. He never let his teammates forget that he had friends in the highest places.

Hampton will play again. Although he turns 36 Sept. 3 and has played 12 NFL seasons, he's convinced he has a good year or two left. He played well last season on a Steelers defense that was best in the league statistically.

Hampton took a pay cut from $4.89 million to $2.8 million to stay with the Steelers in 2012. He also waived a $1 million conditioning bonus. But the team didn't have a spot for him this season. It had salary-cap issues. It also didn't mind getting younger.

"I talked to him last month," Hoke said. "He still wants to play. He still has that fire. He knows it'll be after the draft now when teams assess their needs ...

"We used to talk about Ted Washington. He was a big old nose tackle who played a lot of years after people said he was done. Hamp would tell me, 'He did it. I'm just like him. I can do it, too.' "

Hoke predicted the team that signs Hampton will get so much more than just an aging player.

"The confidence, the common voice, the experience he will bring in the locker room, you can't pay enough money for that. That's how big Hamp is."

Literally and figuratively.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2RKSPKloO
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,226 Times in 3,940 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Tomlin: Steelers will “sort out” offensive tackle situation

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 23, 2013

At the club’s pre-draft press conference Monday, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert — the club’s primary right tackles the last two seasons — have the ability to play on the left side and that a decision on where they will play could take some time.

“I think one of the things that we learned through the trials of the 2012 season is that both of those young men are capable of playing both spots,” Tomlin said, according to the club. “We will use the spring and the summer to sort out where we play those two at, but both guys have shown that they are capable of being viable left tackles and right tackle-like candidates.”

The Steelers drafted Gilbert in Round Two of the 2011 draft and made Adams a second-rounder one year later. The duo has combined to start three-quarters of the Steelers’ regular-season games at right tackle in the last two seasons, though both missed time with ankle injuries in 2012.

Max Starks, who started all 16 games at left tackle for Pittsburgh last season, is an unrestricted free agent. General manager Kevin Colbert indicated Monday that the club was open to re-signing Starks and other free agents from a season ago, but whom the team drafts this week is part of that equation.

If the Steelers don’t draft another tackle early, the question becomes whether Adams or Gilbert can handle the left side on a full-time basis. Starks bought the Steelers some time, starting 28 regular-season consecutive games. If the Steelers had to call upon him later in the offseason, they know they would getting a short-term, plug-and-play option. That said, the Steelers didn’t invest two second-round picks in back-to-back years just to have strong depth at right tackle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...kle-situation/
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Steeldude
Living Legend

They better not bring that waste Hampton back again.

I think they should re-sign Starks. They need a LT
Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
They better not bring that waste Hampton back again.

I think they should re-sign Starks. They need a LT
This^^^^
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,444 Times in 1,635 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I've seen Pouncey sitting out late in the season enough times to realize that Max Starks is the only reliable OL the Steelers have had in the past 5 seasons. Pouncey is one hell of a center when he's playing nasty but when we need someone to keep the ship from sinking - Max always answers the call.

Don't hate on Max - he is one of the few reasons Ben isn't out of football already

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (04-24-2013), wootawnee (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I've seen Pouncey sitting out late in the season enough times to realize that Max Starks is the only reliable OL the Steelers have had in the past 5 seasons. Pouncey is one hell of a center when he's playing nasty but when we need someone to keep the ship from sinking - Max always answers the call.

Don't hate on Max - he is one of the few reasons Ben isn't out of football already
Agree, bring Max back, to me this is a "No Brainer"!